From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, May 17, 2008 10:43 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1545- 517TH PRCT- MAY 17, 2008

Sign up today for National Reunion. Only 40 days until we will be in St, Louis.  Registrations have pickup in the past few days

Ben

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Mail Call                                  Ben517@aol.com

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29

Information and Registration Forms:
 formatted pdf forms simple Web Page format
Sheraton Westport Registration Form
Reunion schedule of Events
517th Reunion Registration Form
Sheraton Westport Registration Form
Reunion schedule of Events
517th Reunion Registration Form

Claire Giblin

Hi, Ben -

I have to say that the 517 PRCT is moving and shaking!

We are getting ready to meet in St. Louis, AND The Thunderbolt has just again gone to press!   Look for the photos from the Palm Springs Party!  They are quite an advertisement for the fun this outfit has at reunions!  The Auxiliary Business Meeting is especially...hmmmm...interesting?  Let's just say that the vets are not alone in enjoying their reunions.  I am going to try to attend next year - who doesn't love a party?

Chris and Bev have been hard at work for months now, and the finish line is in sight!  In just a few weeks, we'll be starting to trickle into the St. Louis airport and the hotel (what an incredible facility!  I can't wait!).

If you've already signed up, thank you thank you!

If you're still on the fence, please get off on the YES side!  Unbelievably, there are still new faces at each reunion!  Ben actually stumbled on a gentleman who was injured in the same attack he had been injured in - totally by accident, just in the course of introducing themselves and chatting.  New friends from your last reunion will be your old friends this time around, and the spirit is contagious.

Family members:  this is a great, great opportunity to bring the kids!  This will be the last generation that will hear WWII history from the mouths of those who made it and lived it.  Even a few minutes in the Hospitality Suite are an education.

PLUS - we're investing in an oral history project at this reunion!  We'd really like as many vets as possible to come and participate.  Bring a piece of memorabilia and tell the story.  I will never forget when Silas told me about a piece of equipment that saved his life, showing me where the shrapnel or bullet had hit.  My dad just showed me his leave papers in 5 languages, giving him permission to be in Paris.  He had never noticed that they weren't signed!  Good thing the MPs didn't pick him up!

Please, please, meet us in St. Louis!  I can't wait!

Richard and Katherine Wheeler will be at St. Louis Reunion

 Ray Hess

Good Morning Ben: Under the list of deceased members of the 517th, Hal Jeffcoat was in “F” Co. Best regards to you &. Bob         Ray R. Hess

Links to The Past- 1944- The War Years

 ALLIED EXPEDITIONARY
FORCE, Aug. 31—1944—Gen. Eisenhower
announced today that Lt.
Gen. Omar N. Bradley had taken
his place as a full field commander
of American: armies in Northern
France in equal status to Gen.
Sir Bernard L. Montgomery and
declared . confidently his forces
would carry the right into Germany,
inevitably and decisively.

517 PRCT  By-LAWS   PART 6

Section 6. INDEMNIFICATION. The Members shall indemnify and hold the Directors and Officers harmless in accordance with the provisions set forth in the Articles of Organization.

ARTICLE X. DISSOLUTION OF ASSOCIATION

Section 1. VOTE REQUIRED. Dissolution of the Association and disposal of any remaining funds and property of the Association shall require a recommendation of the Board of Directors and a majority vote of the Active Members at the National Reunion Business Meeting or as prescribed in Article XI.

Section 2. SALE OF ASSETS - PAYMENT OF ACCOUNTS. Upon dissolution, all of its property, except items set forth in Section 4 of this Article, shall be sold and the monies derived therefrom shall be combined with the remaining funds of the Association. All accounts payable shall first be acted upon for payment prior to disposal of such remaining funds. Any disposal of the Association’s property or funds shall be carried out in strict compliance with the requirements of the Federal Government, and particularly those of the Internal Revenue Service, prescribed for disposal of the funds and property of an association, donations to which may be deducted as a contribution on the income tax returns of donors.

Section 3. CONTRIBUTION OF FUNDS. Upon dissolution, the Officers, at the direction of the Board of Directors, shall transfer and contribute all remaining funds to governmental or charitable Associations or organizations, including but not limited to the Government of the United States of America, in a manner that will further the objectives of the Association set forth in Section 2 of Article I. In this regard, the Board shall consider all worthy candidates, including but not limited to one or more Airborne Associations or Museums, and/or an organization that will assume the responsibility for maintaining the Internet facilities presently established and maintained by Active Member Ben Barrett and his son, Bob Barrett, or similar facilities that perpetuate the memory of, and World War II sacrifices and contributions made by, the members of the 517th Parachute Regimental Combat Team.

Section 4. ASSETS CONTRIBUTED TO AIRBORNE MUSEUMS. Memorabilia, records, rosters, colors, books, guidons, trophies, awards, and such other related articles will be contributed to one or more Airborne Museums to be selected at the time by the Officers and Directors of the Association

Section 5. RESPONSIBILITY FOR IMPLEMENTATION. It shall be the responsibility of the President to ensure that the foregoing provisions of this Article X are complied with.

ARTICLE XI. ACTION OF THE MEMBERS WITHOUT A MEETING

Notwithstanding any other provision hereof, any action required or permitted to be taken at a meeting of the members, including amendment of the by-laws, may be taken without a meeting, if the Board of Directors vote to have the text of the action and a solicitation of its approval published in the Thunderbolt at least ninety (90) days before its enactment and seventy-five percent (75%) of the voting members who respond to the solicitation consent to it. Such consents shall be treated for all purposes as a vote at a meeting. The Board of Directors shall publish the results of such a solicitation in the next issue of the Thunderbolt following enactment or rejection of such action.

ARTICLE XII. ACTION OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS WITHOUT A MEETING

Notwithstanding any other provision hereof, any action required or permitted to be taken at any meeting of the Board of Directors may be taken without a meeting, if all the directors consent to the action in writing and the consents are filed with the records of the meetings of the Board of Directors. Such consents shall be treated for all purposes as a vote at a meeting.

*Section headings have been included for reader’s convenience*