From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 8:38 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1553- 517TH PRCT- MAY 27, 2008

 Only 30 days left before we will be in St. Louis. Hope that you will be there.
 Please let me know if you want to receive Mail Calls or if you have a problem receiving them. You can always read Mail Calls  by clicking www.517prct.org/archives

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29
Steve Markle

Bob/Ben,

    It is with great honor that I can announce that I have just completed scanning pictures from Hal Roberts collection from his time with the 596 in WWII.

    There was a particular scan (attached) that stood out in my mind during this process. It was a letter that was sent home to the families just prior to the units being shipped out overseas by (at the time) Capt. Dalrymple, the C/O of the 596. It strikes me as saying a lot of about the men of the unit and the good Colonel himself.  For me, It reinforces what we already know.

    These pictures are now blended on my site here;
            http://markleweb.com/gallery/v/wwii/

    .... and are available as a single file download here;
            http://www.markleweb.com/Roberts.zip

Quite a memorable Memorial Day....

-Steve-

Dan Curtis

Ben,
I saw an interview with a proud World War II veteran yesterday on our local news, although this was a national feed story. It was Paratrooper Robert Cooper at the National World War II Memorial. My heart jumped to see the 517th hat he was wearing. Although we have not met I was proud to see a 517th Co. D Trooper in the limelight. He did you all proud!
Sincerely,
Dan Curtis, Nephew of Danny Og

Bob Barrett

There was a note on the news today about a Frenchman trying to break a 50-year old record for longest free-fall parachute jump.  Unfortunately, his $200,000 balloon took off without him, and he may not be able to do it again.

        http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080527/ap_on_re_ca/canada_high_skydiver_3

Out of curiosity, I looked up some info on various parachuting records (below).  It looks like these might be beyond the reach of even Leo Dean.  Except maybe #6.

Parachuting records

  1. Don Kellner holds the record for the most parachute jumps, with a total of over 36,000 jumps. [3]
  2. Cheryl Stearns (USA) holds the record for the most parachute descents by a woman, with a total of 15,560 in August 2003.
  3. Capt. Joe W. Kittinger achieved the highest and longest (14 min) parachute jump in history on August 16, 1960 as part of a United States Air Force program testing high-altitude escape systems. Wearing a pressure suit, Capt. Kittinger ascended for an hour and a half in an open gondola attached to a balloon to an altitude of 102,800 feet (31,330 m), where he then jumped. The fall lasted 4 minutes and 36 seconds, during which Capt. Kittinger reached speeds of 714 miles per hour (1,150 km/h)[6]. The air in the upper atmosphere is less dense and thus leads to lower air-resistance and a much higher terminal velocity.
  4. Adrian Nicholas holds the record for the longest freefall. A 4 minutes and 55 seconds wingsuit jump made on March 12 1999.[4]
  5. Jay Stokes holds the record for most parachute descents in a single day at 640. [5]
  6. Frank Moody, aged 101, made a tandem jump on June 6, 2004 at Skydive Cairns. The Tandem Master was Karl Eitrich and the event was filmed by Wayne Donovan & Jason Cryan
 Steve Markle

THANKS A LOT!

That is the kind of feedback that I love to see when I get these posted out on the Internet. See if you can spot him in any of the group pictures as well. It looks like both Alan Johnson (pictures identified as (AJ)) and Hal Roberts (pictures identified as (HR)) were in the same platoon as your dad.

I will get my site update as well as forwarding the info to the 517 site so that they can update the info there.

-Steve-

REF for 517 site pictures

http://517prct.org/photos/596th_portraits2/Unknown17_AJ_.JPG

http://517prct.org/photos/596th_portraits2/Unknown30_AJ_.JPG