From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2008 7:43 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO.1556- 517TH PRCT- JUNE 2, 2008

 Only 24 days left before we will be in St. Louis. Hope that you will be there. YOU STILL HAVE TIME TO BE THERE.
 Please let me know if you want to receive Mail Calls or if you have a problem receiving them. You can always read Mail Calls  by clicking on
www.517prct.org/archives

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29
 Howard Hensleigh

Re Walter Smith's recollections:

If Art Riddler was your grandfather's the leader, your grandfather was in G Company, Third Battalion.  Art was killed and Dick Spencer was wounded in a platoon attack on Ridge X overlooking Sospel France, near the Italian border.  G Company in a company attack took Ridge X a few days later.  It was a very strategic piece of real estate that gave us good observation over the whole valley below.  The Paratroopers' Odyssey, the 517th official history written by men in the outfit, has the story of a G Company man who was thought to be killed in the attack, but who crawled back to our lines during the night after the attack.  I will try to add chapter and verse later.  Ben has the Paratroopers' Odyssey on line and you can access it or order a copy from the Association.

The les Arcs attack started on D plus one, one day after we parachuted into Southern France and ended in the early morning on D plus 2 when an H Company patrol completely cleared the enemy out of the south part of les Arcs and high ground beyond.  We started the les Arcs attack by driving the Germans out of a vinyard and were to go over the railroad tracks to clear them out of the area to prevent them from interfering with the seaborn troops who were to push through us on their way north.  The Germans had the tracks zeroed in with all types of fire so we found an underpass and went under the railroad embankment to get the job done.

This may not be the type of personal information you were seeking, but it will give you some idea of what your grandfather helped to accomplish.

Howard Hensleigh

Gina Votti

Ben,

I tried to contact James Dryden, Dallas, since he is close to me here in Texas.

I was told that he passed the end of April of this year.

Gina
Virginia Votti

Gina Votti

THANK YOU, BEN!

Have done so -- so looking forward to meeting all you Heroes and their families.

Gina

PS - I had seen the Purple Heart write-up before.  The incident regarding the Silver Star is somewhat incomplete (I have copy of official record).   Daddy was actually ambushed by 3 German soldiers at one time when he was out on a patrol.  He managed to disarm all 3 by himself.  When a comrade came to Daddy's rescue, he was already rolling on ground with one of them, as described.  The other 2 Germans had started to flee; one was shot by Daddy's comrade (I sure wish I knew who this was...);  the other got away, but the one on the ground was taken prisoner.   Daddy never wanted to talk about it, or much of the war.  He always said he was living on borrowed time.

 Dianne Lynch

Ben,

            Are you going to publish a list in the Mail Call of the people that have signed up to attend the reunion in St. Louis?  I know you put a list in the Mail Call for the Washington, DC reunion and it was helpful for making arrangements with friends.

Thanks,

Diane

Ask and you shall receive-Ben

Hardy Jim  2
Ehly Erle 2
Ruby Dennis  2
Johns Calvin 2
Seitz Nancy Crane 1
Houze Geoffry 2
Hogan Karen  1
Strothkamp Bev 2
Beddow Helen 2
Frice Gene 4
McDowell Morris 2
Hess Ray 1
Kennedy George 1
Dahlberg Melvin 1
Crosoli Matt  1
Weir John  1
Dalrymple Robert 1
Taubery Eric  1
Noce Anthony  2
Perry Steve  1
Roof Don  2
Kaye Josh  1
Fulle Alex  1
Hiserodt Allen  1
Moody Justin  1
Vineyard Lucas  5
Mace Corey  1
Manley Ralph  1
LITTLEFIELD BONNIE FRASER 3
Krumm John 2
Broudy Ronald 1
Seitz Rick 1
Delesio Gabriel 1
III Hunter McDonald, 2
Cobble Teresa 1
Cobble Teresa 1
Eckart Dawn S 4
Armand Nancy Fraser 2
MacRae Kim 1
Rommel Marie 2
Giblin Claire 1
Johnson Kaare 1
Powell Nolan 2
Hart Robert 2
Ventoza Manuel 1
Barnes Robert 2
Strojan John 1
Seitz Patricia 2
Immerfall Kenton 1
Scaringi Louis 2
Lindner Chris 4
Brissey Eugene 2
Granbery Cornelia 5
spadden phil mc 8
Jorgen Virginia 3
Roberts Harold 2
Spears Donald 2
Walbridge Jack 2
Cook Charles E. 2
Vella Frank A. 2
Zorn Renee L. 3
Goodsell Roger 2
Davis Gerald 2
Barrett Benedict 1
Black Chris 1
Black Matt 1
Egner Darrell 1
Gilbert Earnest 2
Wofford Jerry 1
McMorrow Merle 2
Ammermon Walter 1
Dean Leo 1
Reichwald Herbert 3
Curtis Lory 1
Curtis Tim 1
Perkins Leslie 1
Broudy Bruce 1
Seitz Richard 1
Wheeler Richard 2
Lyon James 2
Backus Eugene 2
Sperry Albert 2
Traver Myrle 4
Welborn Guy 2
Chaulk Douglas P 3
Gauthier Cameron 2
Vaught Robert 2
Christman Robert K 1
Christman Robert K 1
Cooper Robert R 2
Moles Marvin 3
Broudy Eileen 2
Wells Michael 2
Macrae William 1
Roland ORENGO 2
Gibbons Ludlow 2

TOTALS
    152

Facts from the past -1944

Moberly Monitor-Index

War Loan is biggest Drive for Dollars in all history You know how you can BUY WAR BONDS WITH EVERY DOLLAR YOU HAVE I Now is the time to buy extra many as you can If you are already buying Bonds on a payroll savings whoever you are whatever you do ask yourself this What did I do today mother's son should die from Then double the Bonds before them know you're with And not next week or next month but NOW when every bullet and every dollar counts BUY MORE THA

Tuesday, June 06, 1944 Moberly, Missouri