From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, June 07, 2008 12:56 AM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1558 -517TH PRCT- JUNE 7,2008

Only 19 days left before we will be in St. Louis. Hope that you will be there. YOU STILL HAVE TIME TO BE THERE.
Please let me know if you want to receive Mail Calls or if you have a problem receiving them. You can always read Mail Calls  by clicking on

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29
Howard Hensleigh

Thanks, Ben for the timely mail calls.  The fifth and sixth of June never pass without my remembering what big days they were.  I did not know that Roosevelt mentioned the fall of Rome in this D Day address.  Sometimes it seems to be overshadowed by the Normandy invasion.  So, with your assistance we learn something every day.  Highest airborne regards,  Howard Hensleigh

Michael Wells

Ben:
   June 6, 1944.  A day whose events changed the course of nations.  A day of which I cannot comprehend the sacrifices made, but am committed to remembering.  A day that must not be forgotten by our coming generations.

    But it is not the only day that can't be forgotten.  I can think of many others, that I've read about in my history books and talked about with veterans.  I'm sure you, and those who served during this time, have other dates you will never forget.

    My wife and I will be attending the reunion in St. Louis and, I'm sure, these will be dates that I will never forget.  I would also like to do something that will help me remember those my step-father served with in the 517th, and the part the 517th played in WWII.

    I would like to collect the signatures of the 517th members, who attend the reunion.  I would bring a large, white, photo quality paper that has the 517th patch drawn on it.  Members could then sign it and I would then have it framed so that I could hang it in a prominent place in my office.  But, I'm wondering if this request would be well received by those who would be asked to sign.  What do you think?
                                                ************
517 veterans would be happy to sign anything for a son of a 517 veteran-Ben
John Buchalski (Alicki's nephew )

If December 7, 1941, was the day that would live in infamy then June 6,
1944, was the day that would live in infinity. On this date fifty years
ago the invasion of France by Allied Forces began under the code name,
"Operation Overlord." A phalanx of ships totaling more than 5,000--of
more than 100 different varieties--and 2,300 transport planes carried
more than 300,000 men into the greatest military invasion in the history
of the world. By July 4, nearly one million soldiers had landed. They
were met by 30 infantry divisions and 10 tank divisions of Hitler's
best. At stake was the fate of the war in Europe and the fate of freedom
for the world. It was the German Field Marshal, Erwin Rommel, who
predicted that, "For the Allies, as well as Germany, it will be the
longest day." How right he was. By the end of those twenty-four hours
over 2,500 allied soldiers and sailors had slipped into eternity. No one
knows exactly how many Germans did the same. But the end of that day
also brought a great victory for the Allied forces and the beginning of
the end for Nazi Germany.

During those initial moments, it was as if time stood still and
Armageddon had begun. Bodies and parts of bodies were floating on the
water, and, yes, flying through the air. Every wave of the sea
regurgitated more bodies, more blood, more ruined equipment.

By mid-morning, it was obvious that the Allies would succeed. By
nightfall, there were 150,000 allied troops ashore and thousands more on
their way. The Nazis were doomed to defeat. Germany surrendered less
than a year later.
In all historical incidents, especially those of major significance,
there are stories behind the stories.

America was birthed and sustained under the banner of freedom.
Accordingly, this nation has enjoyed the peculiar protection and
blessing of Almighty God.
Thanks to the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Coast Guardsmen of D-Day.
I have yet to see anything in the local papers, NY Times, TV Media (NBC,
CBS, MSNBC, etc.  JOHN....................
Paul, Alma, Karen and Gary Carpenter

Hi Ben,
Regretfully, we will not be able to come to the reunion this year.  Last year was absolutely wonderful and hopefully next year we will all be there again with all of you.  I noticed Helen's note today about the Thunderbolt, and wander if she meant the day she sent out "this last Thursday" meant yesterday the 5th of June or the previous Thursday or May 29th.  We are all waiting eager to see our first one.

We will be with all of you in our thoughts during the reunion.  Have a wonderful time.
Paul, Alma, Karen and Gary Carpenter.

JimMortensen

Hi Ben

There must be something wrong with the address for I have never received the current issue of the Thunderbolt . . . and I sure don't want to miss the next one.

The correct format (according to the post office, 6 months after I moved) is J.E. Mortensen, 13046 Race Track Rd., Tampa, FL 33626-1302.

Would you please check.

Thanks for all you do.

Jim Mortensen
HQ 460th
   Frederic Brega
Dear Ben,

 I hope you are doing well. I am really sad that I cannot join you all at the forthcoming reunion, but it is a long way from Nice….I wish you all plenty of good time, and would like to thank you again for the kind invitation to join you.

 This email concerns a recent exceptional story:

 A few weeks ago, I had the chance to find a dog tag in the Col de Braus area. The tag was with several US and French coins from the 30’s. Apparently, the chain broke du to the weight of the coins. After a short search, I identified the tag to be from Pvt. Richard L. Whidden of 517th – D Company. I continued my investigation in the US Social Security records, and discovered that Richard Whidden died in 2000 in Florida, unfortunately.

 However, I had the possibility to get in touch with his son Marc, who kindly communicated to me a few pictures of his father, most of the them taken in Southern France, we clearly recognise Nice and the Sospel area.

 I wanted to shared these pictures with you.

 With best regards,

   Frederic Brega  Sales Director

     frederic@zeades.com

D Day + 2 -1944