From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2008 9:50 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO.1559, 517TH PRCT-JUNE 9, 2008

Only 18 days left before we will be in St. Louis. Hope that you will be there. YOU STILL HAVE TIME TO BE THERE.

Please let me know if you want to receive Mail Calls or if you have a problem receiving them. You can always read Mail Calls  by clicking on

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29
517th PRCT Auxiliary Mission Statement
517th PRCT Auxiliary Member Application 2007-2008
517th PRCT Auxiliary Officers and Committee Members 2007-2009

Lory Curtis

Ben,
     I see on mailcall there have been some good comments about June 6,
1944.  Below is what my Dad wrote to his mother on that Day from Italy
with the 517th.  Not much to say but read on and see what he says about
the battles the 517th was in when he finally writes her on June 22,
1944.  My Dad would never let me see this letter, and it was not until
after his death that I found it, and now have included it in his book.
It is a very poignant letter with thoughts from a 19 year old kid who
was now a man seasoned in some very heavy combat.  It is hard for us who
were not there understand what all of you went through, but this letter
sure comes close.

Lory Curtis, son of Bud Curtis, HQ, 1st BN

V-Mail Letter to Mom from Harland L. Curtis
Somewhere in Italy
Tuesday June 6, 1944

Dear Mom,
Still no mail since that first day, but maybe I will get some today.
Things are still about the same.  Not much doing right now.  You can
read in the paper and find out more what’s going on round here than I
could tell you.
It is really awful the way people live here.  You know how dirty the
streets are in Mexico; well it is about the same way here, only things
are a bit war torn and most of the buildings look like the remains of
the way the buildings did after the earthquake we had in Long Beach (Bud
and his family lived through the 1933 earthquake in Long Beach, CA).
That kind of gives you an idea what a place looks like after it has been
bombed.  I will take my camera into town the next pass I get and get
some pictures of non-military ruins and stuff.  Take good care of
yourself, and I will be home again as soon as we put Hitler where he
belongs.  Bye now, Love Bud

V-Mail Letter to Mom from Harland L. Curtis
Deep in a Foxhole - Somewhere in Italy
  Friday June 22, 1944

Dear Mom
I won’t have time to write but this one letter as it will have to be
to all of you.  I got your June 7th (1944) letter today. It seems that
you thought I was in on that D-Day in France (Bud is referring to June
6, 1944, the invasion of Normandy).  No, I wasn’t there, but I am in
the middle of a D-Day here that is just as bad.  I have seen plenty of
action in the last few days and I thank God that I am yet still alive,
and I pray with everything in me that I will be home again.  So far in
my life I have never experienced anything as terrifying as having
artillery shells dropping all around me.  A sniper bullet whizzing past
my ear is mild to the screaming of an artillery shells and the jagged
shrapnel that is death to anyone in its way.  I hit the ground and
flatten out like a pancake and pray with all my might that I don’t get
hit.   It is hell, but we are doing a good job and no matter how scared
I get it I always know that you all at home are pulling for me and have
your faith and trust in me that whatever comes, that I will meet it
bravely like the man you have raised me to be.  With that thought I
remain as cool headed as I can and trust in God.  I have never before
been so serious about things in my life.  Life is cheap around here and
if I do get back I am going to be most attentive church member there is.
This may be my last letter to you.  God only knows, but whatever
happens just remember I am doing my best to end all of this.  My only
thoughts now are kill or be killed, and to get back home, and forget all
the terrible things I have seen.  I won’t be able to write you very
soon.  It is hard to tell you not to worry when I can’t convince
myself, but remember I love you all and your letters mean so much to me
now so keep them coming.  Keep that Icebox full because when I get home
I am going to eat for a week straight and then sleep the whole next
week.  I’ll give em hell Dad.  “Love from a Paratrooper.”  Bud

Dan Smith

Dear Ben,

I am trying to get a 517th s,Battlin Buzzard, shoulder patch for a young reenactor .Can you give me a lead?

 Pat and I can 't go to the St. Louis reunion . She is working hard at physical therapy and is doing real well, but not up for the reunion now. Ihope it is a great success.

      Regards to Fran.
                                           Dan SmithHqs 1st. 517

Morris McDowell

Ben,
Please put this on mail call. This is the update of men that have passed on, to be recognized at the reunion. I need to stop receiving names or changes to the list by June 16th. If anyone has additions or changes to the list please send them to me at. garandaddy@comcast.net Thanks so much, Morris McDowell

 May 24, 1945