From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2008 7:48 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1561- 517TH PRCT- JUNE 12, 2008

Only 14 days left before we will be in St. Louis. Hope that you will be there. YOU STILL HAVE TIME TO BE THERE.

Please let me know if you want to receive Mail Calls or if you have a problem receiving them. You can always read Mail Calls  by clicking on

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29
517th PRCT Auxiliary Mission Statement
517th PRCT Auxiliary Member Application 2007-2008
517th PRCT Auxiliary Officers and Committee Members 2007-2009

Patricia and Roland Orengo

In 2005, thanks to Nolan Powell, we were in Savannah.

We have spent a fantastic week with you, unforgettable, moving.

Today, you had invited us to Saint Louis and unfortunately we can’t be with you. All was planned, a beautiful trip trough the USA, meeting friends and surely making new ones. And, in one second our dream taken off. We are very upset and sad not to be with you. But, this is only part surrender.

In October 2007, with our friend Frederic Brega, we had the visit, of Rhonda and Michael Wells, for a day in Sospel

A beautifully emotional moment when Rhonda and Michael saw jeeps and soldiers climbing the Col de Braus wearing the same uniform and armed like you were in 1944.

With these few words, we would like to thank :

- the 517th for its efficient action and for the invitation to this reunion

And then there is the debt of gratitude that beats in all French hearts.

Thanks, for giving us back, our freedom in 1944, for the sacrifice of the years of your youth and those who have been wounded and also those who never returned home.

We believe that you are doing a tremendous job in the USA with the association of the 517th.

We are trying to do, modestly, the same in France.

On behalf of the people of Sospel and its mayor, we have had the pleasure to send you (instead of to have the pleasure to give you) this framed photograph of Sospel taken on the day of liberation together with that photograph of the same place today.

This photograph has been given to us by a Sospel inhabitant, Emile Laveder who is still very proud to have been your young guide through the tracks of his village in 1944.

Next year, if some of you make the trip to Sospel to commemorate the 65th anniversary of the liberation, Emile Laveder will be delighted to meet you.

We thank you all. We hope to be with you at your next reunion in 2009.

I would like to give a special kiss to Nolan.

Nolan, I miss you.

long live the 517th

God Bless America

Vive la France

Saint-Louis (Missouri)June,30th 2008

Payt Seitz and Allan Greer

Dear Ben:  Please tell Lory thank you for spotlighting the letter his Dad wrote to his mother on June 22.  Lory is right, we cannot begin to appreciate fully what the men were going through, but we are humbled to have a glimpse of their willingness to make the ultimate sacrifice for the rest of us.  We are so blessed.  We look forward to seeing everyone in St. Louis.

    Pat Seitz and Alan Greer
                                        ********
We  will have more information about "Letters Home" in future Mail Call. A must read.-Ben
Lory Curtis

Ben,
  Please thank Pat Seitz and Allan Greer for their very kinds words, and I look forward to seeing them and everyone else in St Louis.

Lory Curtis

Bill Christian

Hi Ben, Reading the June 9 mail I noticed a request from Dan Smith for a 517 Patch.  I don't know if he has seen the ones I had made 2 years ago.  I sold most of them at the reunion and then gave the rest to the Frice girls to sell at the National. Had a few left ,in fact sent one of the last to Darrell a few weeks ago, I have been thinking about having some more made for the next W.C. reunion.  I can have more made but in orders of 50. Any comments? Hope you and the family are doing well Next West Coast  reunion starts April 6 hope we have a good response, got lots of good vibes from everyone.  God Bless Bill
Richard Wheeler

Hi, Ben -
Re: 517th Battling Buzzard Shoulder Patch
    Contact:   At the Front Militaria
                   430 Rose Ln
                    Columbia, KY 42728
                   Phone: 270-384-1965

Cost: $19.99 ea    Machine embroidered on twill or wool, or hand-sewn bullion

Richard Wheeler  460th Prct FA Bn  B Bty

Merle McMorrow

Ben:

I called Jim Benton this morning and his wife informed me Jim passed away on December 26, 2007.  The entire family was home for Christmas at the time.

Jim was in the group with Col. Boyle that made the record-setting forced march down by Atlanta that bettered the time set by a Japanese outfit for the same distance.

Please include Jim's name with the listing that will be read at the Memorial Service in St. Louis.

Greetings to Fran and your family.

                                        Merle
Click on Jim Benton