From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2008 11:21 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1562- 517TH PRCT- JUNE 13, 2008

Only 13 days left before we will be in St. Louis. Hope that you will be there. YOU STILL HAVE TIME TO BE THERE.

Please let me know if you want to receive Mail Calls or if you have a problem receiving them. You can always read Mail Calls  by clicking on

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29
517th PRCT Auxiliary Mission Statement
517th PRCT Auxiliary Member Application 2007-2008
517th PRCT Auxiliary Officers and Committee Members 2007-2009
Michael and Rhonda Wells

MailCall readers:
   Just had to comment a bit about Patricia and Roland Orengo, from Sospel, and their friends, Frederick Brega and Anne-Sophie Deloche from Villefrance AND the members of the 517th Re-Enactors group!!  Our trip to Sospel in October 2007 was a monumental and extremely memorable trip because of these individuals.  They took an entire day and spent it with us; showing us the history of the 517th in the area.  They were the most, as my kids would say, AWESOME HOSTS. We really thought hard about abandoning the rest of our cruise in the Mediterranean, in order to stay in the Sospel area, to see and learn more.  We would like to return for the 65th anniversary in 2009.
   Of course we were looking forward to hosting Patricia and Roland in our area, as they were to visit us on their trip to the US and the reunion in St. Louis. But, we are now most concerned that Patricia be healthy, happy, enjoying the sunshine in France, and watching the olive trees grow! Smiley emoticonSun emoticon  They are great ambassadors for their city AND for the 517th.
   We are looking forward to the reunion in St. Louis and being able to meet the members of the 517th and their families.  I've sent along a couple pictures from our trip to Sospel. One is from my step-father, Chester Wells (H Company), which started our journey and the other is of us in the same area. That one picture from my father began a journey that has been just fantastic!  That is why I hope many members of the 517th who attend the reunion will take the time to share their stories; whatever they are willing to share will be most appreciated.

Michael and Rhonda Wells

Eric Gray

Subject: Henry Thomas
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 12:28:14 +0000
I am doing some research for a friend and am having trouble locating any information about Henry Oliver Thomas, who served in the 517th during WW2.  I have searched through the Christmas 44 roster but he does not appear.  Any help you can provide will be most appreciated.

Regards,
Eric Gray
Michael Mullins

Ben,

My name is SFC Michael Mullins and I am the Grandson of PFC Bernard W. Mullins of HQ 3rd BN. I have corresponded with you before, and I am a huge fan of your website. I am a paratrooper and a pathfinder currently serving in Iraq. I am a heavy weapons platoon sergeant in an Infantry company. I was out on a mounted combat patrol recently and we stopped in at a base in Baghdad called "Log Base Seitz" I looked around for a sign, or some sort of explanation for the name of the base. I was wondering if maybe it had been named after the 517th's own, Dick Seitz. Do you or any of your members have any insight on that?

Thanks,

SFC Mullins

MICHAEL S. MULLINS
SFC, USA
1st PLT PSG
D co, 1/293D INF BN
                                                                        **********
I have informed Michael Mullins that the base is indeed name after our favorite General Richard Seitz.  Log  Base Seitz is named after 517th Seitz to honor him for the training  assistance he provided the original occupant of the base prior to their deployment to Iraq. -Ben

Chris Lindner

Hi Ben and Darrell:

I heard from Ricky today and he is in Nice, France.  Nicolas Arnulf met my son and his friend at the train station in his WWII Jeep and took them on a tour of where some of the places you guys were at in Nice, France.

Ricky said it was awesome.  Do you remember or any one else in the 517 remember a cave with metal doors on it.  Ricky said that the 517th was scratched on the metal doors and Nicolas told him that years ago when they opened the door there were maps and things on the walls I think of where you guys were headed to next.

Nicolas has the book "First Airborne Task Force" with him and Ricky showed him a picture of my Dad (Nate Rubenstein) and then Nicolas showed them fox holes and he took the book and showed him where some of the pictures of the members of the 517th were taken.  Ricky also said that they went to some bridge and it had markings of where bullets hit the railing.  Ricky sounded on the phone pretty awed with all of what he saw today.  He said that he took movies and a lot of pictures and he also said he is bringing me something back-----I have no idea what he could be bringing me back.

Anyway they also found a plaque that Nicolas did not even know was there honoring the 517th.  When I can get Ricky's pictures I will have send them to the website.  Ricky said he might come to St. Louis just or the day on June 28th, and if so he will have a disc of what he took.  He has a website of his trip and he will be adding today's venture on it.

I can not thank Nicolas Arnulf and all of the people that offered to help my son see some of the history that his Grandfather was a part of.  Ricky never knew my Dad (my Dad died 10 years before my son was born) but I really think Ricky was amazed at what he saw today.

I will be interested to know if anyone might know of this cave type thing with metal doors.

Chris Lindner
Lyn Vickers
FOXNews.com - French Chop Down Historic 'Name Trees' Carved by U.S. Soldiers During Normandy Invasion - International News | ..

The Widdah Lyn and The Fine Old Gent, Cocoa
(Poopin Pepper the Crappin Cajun--May she rest in peace--1998-2008)

Bob Cooper
Ben my grandaughter found this for me I am still trying to get a DVD or a Cd

  Click the following to access the sent link: