From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 9:17 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO.1567- 517TH PRCT-JUNE 18, 2008

Please let me know if you want to receive Mail Calls or if you have a problem receiving them. You can always read Mail Calls  by clicking on

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29
517th PRCT Auxiliary Mission Statement
517th PRCT Auxiliary Member Application 2007-2008
517th PRCT Auxiliary Officers and Committee Members 2007-2009
Babbie Boyle

Hi Ben
As the days get fewer and fewer till the reunion I just wish we could be going but of course it is impossible.
Bill is ok just cannot get around on his on his own The legs have pretty much given out. He uses a wheel chair most of the time, the VA has a motorized chair on order for him.  He gets out for church and that is about it.
He now sleeps downstairs and has aides come in to help him.
Give everyone our best at the reunion and I hope to make it to Kissimmee.
My best to Fran
Babbie
Lory Curtis

Ben,
Please forward this to Chris Linder.
I see on mailcall your son is in southern France.  The Tunnel with the metal door should be the one located up in the mountains in the small town of Col des Braus.  My Dad, Bud Curtis, and others from HQ, 1st Bn lived in that tunnel for over 30 days in 1944.  In his book, Letters home, a paratrooper's story he talks about being in the tunnel and there are pictures he took in 1944, and in 2004, when we all returned to visit the site 60 years later.  I will bring the book to the reunion so you can see the pictures and read the stories.

Lory Curtis, son of Bud Curtis, HQ, 1st Bn.

Frank Vella
Hello Vaughn,

 My name is Frank Vella. My father was Major Paul Vella, Regimental Surgeon, 517th PIR. I would very much like 4 copies of the hardbound book. I will be at the reunion in St. Louis and if the books are available there I would like to get them there. If not, I can mail you a check.

 Thank you very much. I look forward to possibly meeting you at the reunion.

Mary  Jane Hanron

Who knew that my acquaintance with you through a writing assignment would spark this passion I have for learning all I can about the 517th and the Battle of the Bulge.

Best,

Mary Jane

Claire Giblin

Mine just got Thunderbolt here on Friday or Saturday.

Note my address change - now at comcast.net

I read that General Dick Seitz said we're airborne all the way, and would you believe that I was rummaging in the tissue box in my car and I found, of all things, a set of paratrooper wings?  I have no idea how they got there - Dad has ordered them in the past to give as souvenirs.  Maybe given to Chris or Tim, or left behind by Dad?  But what are the odds about the timing?

So, thinking about what the general had just said, I promptly pinned them on my work lanyard, next to my 517 attack pin.  I figured that if General Seitz says I'm airborne all the way, I am wearing the wings, and I couldn't be prouder.

Have a great day -