From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2008 8:13 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1569- 517TH PRCT- JUNE 21, 2008

     Sixty four years ago on Dec. 16, 1944 The Battle Of The Bulge began. I am including in this "Mail Call" a poem from L'OFFENSIVE DES ARDENNES by Eddy Monfort. This is a rough translation from the French. Eddy gave me his book when we visited Belgium in 1994. It is written in French.
   The village of Manhay was twice occupied by German forces in the war and in December 1944 the order was given to take and hold Manhay at all costs. I have also included the entry in our guestbook by Edy Monfort.

Please let me know if you want to receive Mail Calls or if you have a problem receiving them. You can always read Mail Calls  by clicking on
www.517prct.org/archives

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29
517th PRCT Auxiliary Mission Statement
517th PRCT Auxiliary Member Application 2007-2008
517th PRCT Auxiliary Officers and Committee Members 2007-2009

Mark Landreth

Ben - I saw the reference you made in Mail Call # 1568 regarding "Mule Packers."  I am reminded of a story my father (Roy Landreth of E Co.) told about a friend of his, Rocky Coiner who served with, I think, D Co. Dad told about the time they were in Italy (I think) and the 517th was using pack mules to carry cargo up and down the mountains. He told me about a time he was across a valley from another group of soldiers and that he saw a soldier get exasperated with a mule who wouldn't move, punch it on the nose, and knock it down. Dad said, years later, he and Sgt. Coiner were trading war stories and the subject came around to a mule who was too recalcitrant to do its job and that Sgt. Coiner said he had to push a mule to make it move. Dad said he called out Sgt. Coiner and that Dad knew Rocky had punched out the mule. Dad said they laughed every time they told the story. Sgt. Coiner was one tough cookie for whom I had great respect many years later when I learned that, after he retired from the army, he went into the coal mines and finished another career underground. I guess, back in the day, in combat, if you couldn't find something to laugh at, it was even tougher than we might imagine. Thanks to you and all of the Troopers from the 517th who proved freedom isn't free. All my best, mark

Helen Beddow

Ben,

I received the following note in the mail today.  If you want to use it for Mail Call, please do so.

It reads:  Albert Herink passed away on Feb. 3, 2008.  He no longer needs the magazine sent to him.  Al was 85 years old and died with gangrene of the foot.  He wore his 517th emblem hat in the rest home every day for 15 months.

Yours truly, Mrs. A. Herink,
P.S.  He was buried in the VA cemetery in Rittmas, Ohio

(Ben, I have the address is anyone is interested.)

Helen Beddow

Hi Ben,

Clue me in and what Merle Traver is talking about, and what made him think of it when he got the Thunderbolt. It would be interesting to know why he was asking.

Helen
Bob Dalrymple

These are just in from the current (just landed) space mission. These pixs are so good.

That it makes one feel as if you are there taking the pictures. Maximize your viewing Area by hitting the F11 button and enjoy.....

Http://www.texasjim.com/NASApix/NASA%20pix.htm

 Irma and Arnold Targnion

Hello from Trois-Ponts,
Thank you very much for the latest issue of the Thunderbolt, a very beautiful edition with many pictures of our dear friends. We wish you a wonderful reunion in ST LOUIS; we could see the inundation in Iowa on TV. The Mississippi river is flooding too ? we do hope this flood is not a problem for your reunion. We shall think of you especially during the next week and we wish you a great success and marvelous moments all together. Love from Belgium. Arnold and Irma TARGNION - Trois-Ponts

Entry of Apr 29, 2000 at 15:18 [EST]

Name: Eddy Monfort - Manhay
Unit:
EMail: em11.freegates.be

How I found the 517th page: Heard from a member of the 517th
Comments: Dear Mr Barrett and veterans of 517th. Congratulations for your site. It is very interesting and I'm enjoyed to watch every page of your site. I live in Malempré, a village situated at four kilometers from Manhay (Belgium). Manhay was liberated by the 517th during the night of the 26 to 27 December 1944. Thanks to all members of the 517th. Best wishes. Eddy

MANHAY

Hold At All Costs

Where are the worthy GI’s running who liberated us,
They have their tanks, the Germans, with their equipment,
Have been driven back.  They seemed powerful,
Invincible soldiers, masters for a very long time.

Each time the return of the occupying forces is precise.
For the veteran of the underground the decision has been made.
Once again, in the Ardennes, there will be vengeance.
Flee people of the maquis, avoid judgment.

Civilians have left, replaced by soldiers.
Speedily, they have been crowded into truck beds.
Since Reims, in the rain, turning points, chaos,
For parachutists, what hell, no planes, no trucks!

They were forewarned...in the winter by the fire.
A surplus of potatoes, bacon, eggs.
The front has been made right.  Manhay is in the middle.
The site can be razed.   Order to leave the area.

The bolt on Fraiture has suddenly been released.
Spreading out toward Manhay, grenadiers and tanks.
Evening descending on the Ardenne obscures
The steel worms spitting their fire bursts

Suddenly, from behind the low clouds , the moon appears,
Unveiling the barrages, a chance for the enemy.
Under a pale halo, appears the reply.

Nine tanks will be destroyed, the snow has betrayed them.
This Christmas Eve, will be the breakthrough.
In the radio silence, for the imposed retreat,
An audacious Panzer, between two Shermans, slips in.
Spreading terror…a feat of great audacity.

The artillery intervenes from Monchenoul to Deux-Rys
In three days the batteries will destroy the dwelling
Through numerous battles, until body to body,
Face to face with the enemy, their fate is sealed.

The region liberated, the village retaken,
The spoils of the sinister building will be counted.
Where have the sheets gone, still so well-folded?
On a slain soldier, is where they will be found.

Friends have left in pursuit of the enemy.
But the heroic Ardenne regains his courage.
The meadows are cleansed and the lodging is rebuilt.
At vespers they tell the tale of this hard, cursed winter.

Today, the village, fixed like a terrace
on the side of the green massif where violent winds brew,
Has found peace, let us hope, forever.
Manhay, her story, her central square: it was well worth the detour.

Manhay “cost what it may”.  The alarm has sounded…and the order has come
  Down.
Hold at all costs-“Tenir coute que coute”

                                                     Emile PIRARD