From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, June 22, 2008 7:57 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1570- 517TH PRCT- JUNE 22, 2008

Please let me know if you want to receive Mail Calls or if you have a problem receiving them. You can always read Mail Calls  by clicking on
www.517prct.org/archives

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29
517th PRCT Auxiliary Mission Statement
517th PRCT Auxiliary Member Application 2007-2008
517th PRCT Auxiliary Officers and Committee Members 2007-2009

Chris Lindner

HI ALL:

I AM GETTING READY TO HEAD TO THE AIRPORT FOR THE ST. LOUIS REUNION THIS WEEK.

I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING EVERYONE THAT IS COMING.

IF ANYONE NEEDS TO REACH ME IN ST. LOUIS MY CELL PHONE NUMBER IS 210-478-1607.

IT IS TIME TO HAVE SOME FUN.  I HOPE EVERYONE HAS A SAFE TRIP TO ST. LOUIS.

Chris Lindner
co-chairperson for the St. Louis Reunion
Chris Lindner

Hi Ben:

I just thought I would add a little note about the "mules" .  I was told by Bud Wyatt (but I can't verify this since my Dad is no longer here) but my Dad was in the HQ 2nd BN and he was in Communication part.  Anyway I was told that my Dad (I don't know where) stole a donkey to carry his cables for the communication equipment.  Apparently my Dad had the donkey for a few day at least because wherever they slept the donkey was on Bud's legs while they were sleeping and Bud was not real pleased with the donkey my Dad had carrying the cables for lying on his legs.

Myrle Traver

Myrle Traver F Co.

To answer Helen Beddow's question, "What is a Mule Packer".

After we took Sospel, outposts were placed in the Alps and they needed supplies.  The only way to get these supplies to them was by mules.
Lt. Jones, 1st platoon leader, came to F Co. and asked if anyone knew anything about packing supplies on mules.  I said that I had loaded and unloaded burros in Cave Creek, Arizona when I was a kid.  Wayne Hibbon and I volunteered for the job.  The army brought in eight big mules, saddles and two packers to teach us how to pack and drive the mules up the mountains.  It was a hard job getting the saddles and packs on the mules.  It took about two hours every morning because the mules were so stubborn and mean.
Going up the trail there were certain areas that the Germans could spot us and they would shell us.  The mules would panic, balk and rear up and it was difficult to calm them down and continue up the trail.  One mule reared up,  fell backwards  into the canyon.  We had to climb down ropes to where she was and put her down.  We then had to haul the saddle and supplies back up and load them onto the other mules.
We had some very wild days and experiences because of the disposition of the mules.  We were relieved a few weeks later from the front lines.
                                                                 ************
Thanks Myrle. And now Helen you have the rest of the story!!!!
Rick Sweet

To Bob  Dalrymple,
           Thank you for sharing the space pictures. Another reason to be proud to be an American!!   Rick Sweet

Patricia Orengo

Hi,

We have received the latest Thunderbolt. What a moving edition in colors and a lot of pictures. Tremendous work.        BRAVO !!!
We have seen on your mail call that you cancel the river cruise on Mississippi because of the flooding. It doesn't matter, the more important thing is you will be all together.

Ben, let us know by an email if you have some news from Sheraton Hotel about our postal parcel. I have sent you some emails last days to inform you that the hotel has received it and I have given you the name of the person.

Patricia and Roland Orengo

Len Kneale

Ben, could you change the email address that you now have for me to: canyonfire@wildblue.net  my father in law Vic Quarante loves to read the emails and does not have a computer.

Thanks,