From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Monday, June 23, 2008 7:24 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1571- 517TH PRCT-JUNE 23, 2008

Please let me know if you want to receive Mail Calls or if you have a problem receiving them. You can always read Mail Calls  by clicking on
www.517prct.org/archives

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29
517th PRCT Auxiliary Mission Statement
517th PRCT Auxiliary Member Application 2007-2008
517th PRCT Auxiliary Officers and Committee Members 2007-2009

Irma and Arnold Targnion

Hello from Trois-Ponts,
Thank you very much for the latest issue of the Thunderbolt, a very beautiful edition with many pictures of our dear friends. We wish you a wonderful reunion in ST LOUIS; we could see the inundation in Iowa on TV. The Mississippi river is flooding too ? we do hope this flood is not a problem for your reunion. We shall think of you especially during the next week and we wish you a great success and marvelous moments all together. Love from Belgium. Arnold and Irma TARGNION - Trois-Ponts

Steve Markle

Ben,
    I want to let you know that my dad's (Eugene C. "Gene" Markle) passing is not a recent event. As of June 11th, he has been gone for 8 years (June 11, 2000). We all still miss him, but we keep him with us every day. We know that there have been many others that have gone after him that are missed just as much, so please correct the list as appropriate.

In addition, in regard to the other 596er's that are on the list, I have the following to submit from my website if you want to include in any memorial that is being done at the St. Louis reunion;

* Raymond and John may be on other pictures on my site, but may be listed as unknown. If there are family members that are interested in seeing if they identify them in any of the pictures, the 596 album starts here;

    http://www.markleweb.com/gallery/v/wwii/people/

-Steve-

Xavier Van daele / Belgium

Hi Mr Barrett,

I introduce myself, my name is Xavier Van Daele, I am 31 years old and I am Belgian.

I am Webmaster of a site concerning the American history of the paratroops lasting the world war two: www.usairborne.be

I created this site after having noticed that there was no site which covers subject as a whole; all the French sites are about the 101st or 82nd only.

But not many site processes 11th, 13th or 17th Division (in French) or as regiments more particular.
I send this mail to ask you this :
I would like to put veterans at the honor. And thus to create a post for each one of them. So that they will never be forgotten. For that I need to get in contact with them, by mail if possible. (Biographie:
http://www.usairborne.be/Biographie/biographie.htm
)

I also look for contac with families which lost a father, a brother, an Uncle, during the Second War World. (=> Hall of Honor : http://www.usairborne.be/Hall_of_honor/hallofhonor.htm)

I don't want to write a book or earn money with your story, but only to tell your story to all generations. I would like to belong to your mailing list to learn some more on 517th RCT.
Thank you very much in advance.
Friendly.
Xavier Van daele / Belgium

Helen Beddow

To Merle Traver,

Thank you for the information about the mules.  Merle, if you are in St. Louis, I will be waiting to hear more stories about the "mules and the men".   I am wondering if anyone has pictures of the mules.  It would be great to use in the Thunderbolt.

Helen

Lory Curtis

Ben,

Attached is a folder of pictures of the Tunnel for Chris Linder taken in June of 2004, and a couple of pictures my Dad took of the tunnel in Oct to Nov 1944.

http://517prct.org/mailcall/1571_photos.htm

Pat Seitz

 Dear Claire and Helen:

    Only had the chance to read the newest edition of Thunderbolt this weekend.  It is really sharp and we enjoyed the articles and pictures.  Thank you so much for such an excellent edition.  You two are outstanding
  Paul, George,Peter, and Cynthia Jansson

We hope you have a great reunion. I know that I can speak for Peter and myself when I say last years was one of the best experiences of our lives.  Dad (Bert) spoke little about his war experience until we were at middle age. One thing he has said more than once, that when he was scared he would think to himself that if these other guys can do it, I can do it. As I am re-reading "Battling Buzzards", I can see that he was not alone. Regardless of his military record, Dad and Mom have always been our heroes.  Regards from Paul, George, Peter, and Cynthia Jansson. P.S.  Bertil and Dagny Jansson are celebrating their  57th anniversary today.

Peter Jansson

Hi Mr. Barrett:

My brother George and I were talking this past Saturday while we were fishing about the upcoming reunion.  Although we cannot attend we did want to pass along these thoughts.  First of all, we wish we could be there with Dad, but things just are not meant to be.  Secondly, we hope that everyone there has a marvelous time and our wishes go out to every member of the 517th and their families.  Dad has not been the same since the bad pedestrian accident he was in back in December 2006, but the memories we have of last year's Washington D.C. reunion will forever be with my brother and I.  George and I talk at length of the fine time we had last year, and  wish that Dad was capable of being with you in St. Louis.  Since we got back from Washington last year Dad has slowly deteriorated in both physical stature and mental resolve, but we feel that Dad was truly at his best and happy at that time.  George and I and brother Paul (unable to attend last year) wish all of you the best.  We also want to thank EVERYONE who helped Dad attend last year in Washington even though Dad was in tough shape.  All of you are an inspiration to us, and Washington D.C. 2007 will forever be the happiest memory we have after Dad's bad accident.  Thank you to everyone - especially to Mr. Barrett and his family and to Trooper Walsh who was so kind to Dad.  Have a great time in St. Louis!!!!!!  Pete Jansson and family.