From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Friday, July 04, 2008 5:52 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: Fwd: MAIL CALL NO. 1576- 517TH PRCT-JULY 4,2008

Please sign emails. I have 400  address's in my address book and occasionally, I find it difficult to place a name with the email address.

Please let me know if you want to receive Mail Calls or if you have a problem receiving them. You can always read Mail Calls  by clicking on

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Claire Giblin

Hey Ben -

I wanted to wish all my favorite vets a wonderful Fourth of July!

65 or so years ago, the world was at risk in a way as never before.  You, the men of the 517, all of your friends and neighbors, and your homefront contingent, pulled together in an effort never seen by my generation.

You were drafted or you volunteered, but you all volunteered for the paratroops.  You were and are the best of the best, and we as a nation appreciate your sacrifice.  As Lizy (from the small town of Le Muy, France) said last year, when meeting a vet, "It is an honor to meet you.  It is because of you I speak French (and not German)."

You gave it your all - and many gave their lives - and then you returned home, forever changed.  Some of you stayed in the service; most of you returned to your civilian lives.  I am not the only child of a Buzzard whose father never talked much about the war; I've learned much more in the last 10 years than in my first 37.

The 517 Association's survival has been nearly miraculous.  I'm told that Merle McMorrow was able to help rescue it once; Ben and Bob Barrett's inauguration of the website about 9 years ago has been key.  These days, an online presence and a Wikipedia entry ensure that students will find you when searching history.  These are the first places people go to, and the 517th is there.  The Auxiliary was established 3 years ago to help facilitate ongoing reunions and to help secure the legacy of the 517th.

How fantastic that we just had more than 200 vets and friends at the St. Louis reunion!  Plan on attending one or all of the 2009 reunions: Kissimmee in January, Palm Springs in April, and a location to be announced soon in June or early July.

A Happy Fourth to all my favorite vets!  Thank you for your service.

Claire Johnson Giblin
daughter, Allan Johnson, 596
President, 517 Auxiliary
                                                      ***************
Claire!!!!!!!! What are you thinking ? We may not have been very smart to  volunteer for the Paratroops, but we can add. 37 + 10 =27--Ben
Ray Hess

Good morning Ben: Two items for this E-mail to you. #1 The cap that TERRI MARRONE found could belong to me  IT was light blue in color, well worn with two pins on it. Terri does not have to return it to me. Finders keepers  #2 I would like to thank all who made the reunion  a success, Chris, Bev ,Claire, Helen, and the list goes on. It certainly was a pleasure to meet ERNIE GILBERT’S family, the FRICE family, and all of the remaining members of “F CO.” And  a big “thank you” to you BEN.  I know that I have not thanked everyone that made the reunion a success, so a large’ thank you’ to all.  BEST REGARDS    RAY R. HESS

Dear Teri,

Regarding the 517th hat you found with the jump wings...

If the jump wings has a small gold tab on the back with the name Luisette (spelling) they belong to Harold Roberts in Gig Harbor, Wa. He has a hat like that and he sometimes pins his wings on the front.

Please reply to deboerstrasse@yahoo.com

Dick Seitz

Ben, thanks to you and Wayne Cross I now have the E mail concerning Walt Irvin's paper concerning E company crossing the Var river and capturing La Roquett.  This operation ios truly one of the most  daring small unit operations of the war.  The men of E company and attached men should receive a hell of a lot credit and recognition than received.  I hope I can get some one to publish this daring and successful operation.  Seitz

Ray Estrella
Hello Ben, I hope you had a great time in St Louis. Ben, I need a favor from you. I am trying to find out the status of Col Frank J. Dallas. I have sent various e-mails to his daughter, and get no response. Is it possible to get from you any contact numbers, and a status on how he is doing ? You may or may not know that we named our Special Forces Chapter here in So. California after him. I was the founding president, and served as such for 3 years. Any assistance that you can render is very appreciated.-- Ray Estrella
I am OK Ben, thanks for asking.  Two weeks ago I had to go the emergency room with terrible pain in back and groin, came to find out that I was passing kidney stones, Thank God that's over. The reason that I did not go to St Louis is that I had to help take care of my 5 year old twin grandsons. My daughter and her husband took a well deserved vacation to the Boston area for 10 days.  I missed seeing you, and all of the other dear 517 friends. I am looking forward to Palm Springs in '09.Also, thanks for the info on Col Dallas. Please let me know if you are able to find out any contact info. Take care and God Bless.

Phil McSpadden

Hi Ben.. just arrived home from a 901 mile drive, but did want to thank everyone for a great time.

To all of you I'd  like to express my regret for rambling on too long with my Big Bubba routine, but didn't know I was  restricted to time....Chris Lindner and I had discussed 20 minutes, and that was the routine I had planned.

I do lots of comedy shows, sometimes I am on a time limit if I am opening for someone else, other times I can go on as long as I keep them laughing.  Guess I got my wires crossed on this one.

If I did offend anyone by my language or material, I do sincerely apologize.  My  routines differ and my material and persona is generally targeted to a specific audience...I just couldn't figure out what my audience was!!

Had a great time, looking forward to the next one...no act, however!!

phil mc spadden
Phil, You were great.  No apology necessary-Ben

Gina Votti

We rarely hear about the millions who were liberated by American and allied forces.

Here is one incredible story of bravery, hope and love in the midst of unspeakable tyranny.

It is the reason we fought and sacrificed, and the reason we still fight and sacrifice.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1460843032/bclid1460777330/bctid1472306741

Freedom is not free.  Never forget to teach our children.

May God bless America.