From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2008 7:33 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1578- 517TH PRCT- JULY 6,2008

This will be the next to last Mail Call for a few days. I will be out West for five weeks, but I will have my laptop and will continue with Mail Call. However ,I need to receive mail in order to send it. Send mail!
Please let me know if you want to receive Mail Calls or if you have a problem receiving them. You can always read Mail Calls  by clicking on

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR

517th PRCT Auxiliary Mission Statement
517th PRCT Auxiliary Member Application 2007-2008
517th PRCT Auxiliary Officers and Committee Members 2007-2009

Pat Seitz and Allan Greer

Dear Ben:
    Celebrating the 232nd anniversary of the birth of our nation, within days of the St. Louis 517th reunion, underscored in the most personal way the heart, soul and character of those who have made our country the land of the free and home of the brave.  For Alan and me, words are inadequate to express our gratitude to Chris, Bev and all their helpers for the outstanding reunion, to Claire and Helen for their leadership, vision, enthusiasm that will help carry on the history and tradition of the 517, and to you and your son, Bob, for being the glue that binds us daily.
    Most importantly, we would like to say thank you to the leaders and men of the 517th itself, for your courage, commitment, selflessness, and heroism that has allowed us to live in freedom and your commitment to each other that has continued for more than 65 years.  What a special group of human beings.  How blessed we are to know you.  And thank you for the time you spent with Alan and me sharing stories that range from Myrle Traver's mule stories but also your POW experience, to Leo Dean just mentioning that he had been at my Dad and Mama's wedding in Joigny, France on June 23, 1945 with the whole outfit attending in Class A dress.
    The memories the other participants in this reunion created are still resonating with us and they range from Terri and her boys, the re-enactors, who still send chills up and down our spines as they leapt from the plane, to the meeting of the sons and daughters of 517th members and sharing their family stories -- I am thinking of the remarkable Vanessa with the photo albums and the stories she elicited from the vets, to the MacDonald clan, to the sheer happenstance of meeting Frank Vella, the son of the 517th Regimental surgeon, about whom I had heard from my mother's stories of the war.  My mother, Bettie Jean Merrill, met Dad in '39, when she was a freshman at Kansas State, and Dad was a junior; they reconnected when mother, a Red Cross worker, was transferred from England to Holland after the Bulge. When Dad and Mama married in June of '45, Mama said she didn't have her mother there of whom she could ask the intimate questions about marriage, so she found the doctor who was kind enough to take her on a long walk and explain the "Birds and Bees."  I am making arrangements to get copies of the wedding pictures that I have to give to Pat and Hugh as part of their interview project.
    It was a magnificent reunion.  Thank you again to all of you for making it so.
    Sincerely, Pat Seitz and Alan Greer
Karen Frice Wallace

Hello Ben,

You are so welcome, we had a great time and are honored to be with all of you.  Robin is better, getting better with time.  We will for sure see you in Palm Springs in April, we look forward to it!  Let us know if there is anything else we can do to assist, and I would like to see Howard make it to a reunion.

Thank you for all you do Ben,

Karen
John Buchalski -Boom Boom Alicki's nephew

(Veteran Issues by Colonel Dan) Subject: [VeteranIssues] Veterans May
salute the flag FW: CONDUCT BY MEMBERS OF THE ARMED FORCES AND VETERANS
OUT OF UNIFORM DURING HOISTING, LOWERING, OR PASSING OF UNITED STATES FLAG.
H.R. 4986: National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2008,
signed into law 28 Jan 2008
SEC. 594. CONDUCT BY MEMBERS OF THE ARMED FORCES AND VETERANS OUT OF
UNIFORM DURING HOISTING, LOWERING, OR PASSING OF UNITED STATES FLAG.
Section 9 of title 4, United States Code, is amended by striking `all
persons present´ and all that follows through the end of the section
and inserting the following: `all persons present in uniform should
render the military salute. Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who
are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other
persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their
right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with
their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over
the heart. Citizens of other countries present should stand at
attention. All such conduct toward the flag in a moving column should be
rendered at the moment the flag passes.´.

Mary Jane Handron

http://www.wickedlocal.com/hingham/news/lifestyle/columnists/x1713654328

Rick Sweet

To Phil McSpadden.
No Need for an apology !! You cracked me up and quite a few others in the room.  I Thank you for putting a smile on my face and  letting me forget about the pain in my knee for a short time. There is not a thing wrong with making people laugh and forget about their troubles. You did a great job and I am glad that you were with us.....Thank you !!! Rick Sweet

Bob Cooper

 Phil McSpadden
Phil
We all try to be nicey nice but 99% of the Guys could tell stories that would curl the ladies hair. Keep Em Laughing. I am in the 1%

Larry Zickefoose

 I want to continue receiving Mail Call.

Thanks

Larry Zickefoose

Chris Lindner

ick

I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG,

OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA ,
AND TO THE REPUBLIC FOR WHICH IT STANDS,
ONE NATION UNDER GOD,
INDIVISIBLE, WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL!

Chris