From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 3:39 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO.1579-517TH PRCT- JULY 8, 2008

This may be the last Mail Call for a few days. Leaving soon for California where it is 105 degrees and therefore  may head for Tahoe. It may take a few days to get laptop set up to send Mail Call.
Please let me know if you want to receive Mail Calls or if you have a problem receiving them. You can always read Mail Calls  by clicking on

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR

517th PRCT Auxiliary Mission Statement
517th PRCT Auxiliary Member Application 2007-2008
517th PRCT Auxiliary Officers and Committee Members 2007-2009

lORY CURTIS

Ben,
    After leaving St Louis Tim and I went to California where we
visited with our Mom,helped around the house, and visited our father's
grave site at the Veteran's National Cemetery in Riverside. In addition
to putting flowers and a flag on his grave for Independence Day, we put
a 517th flag there also.  See the attached photo.  Tim and I were not
sure if we would really enjoy the reunion with our Dad gone, but
everyone made us feel so welcomed.  It was like coming home to a family
reunion.  Thanks to everyone for including us and making us feel like
family.  Of course a special thanks to Bev and Chris, what a wonderful
job they did.  Also to Morris McDowell for the wonderful tribute to our
troopers who have past on.  It was just great.  This reunion will live
in our hearts forever.   I have sent photos I took at the reunion in
eight separate emails.  One is of Chris Linder she asked me to take of
her as we were flying in the C-47.  I hope she gets it.  If she will
send me her email I will send more of the photos.

Lory and Tim, sons of Bud Curtis, HQ 1st BN
                                                              *********
I will have photos in later Mail Calls-Ben

Peter Jansson ( sons of Bertil B Co.)

Hello, the Jansson family is very happy you had a successful reunion in St. Louis. Hopefully the  reunions will continue for many years. You are all an inspiration to so many people, both inside our continent and across ocean lines. Our country needs to get focused on returning this nation back to the great values that your generation practiced. Best wishes to all of the 517th, families, and those  families that were left emptier by yours and all military personnel that did not make it home. Regards, the Jansson family

Darrell Egner-President

Ben

My kids think I travel too much so I tell them about you and now they thing your the Champ.  Going to the West Coast for weeks.  Where do you get all your energy?  Guess when the snow starts to fall again you will head West again, huh?

The Reunion was wonderful and 210 people had a ball.  The only complaint I received was one Guy said, "What no Club Soda".  Heck my Martinis don't require Club Soda.

I can't say enough about Chris and Bev.  They worked night and day and enjoyed every minute and put on the best Reunion ever.  I'm sure 210 people are ready to start a Fan Club.  Chris daughter Jen put our great program together.  One night her family in St. Louis was together at Bev's house and Jen was at the printers.  I left at 10 PM and she was not home yet.  Thanks girls and all your helpers.

I am trying to get Ben some filler for Mail Call.  Please send in your comments to Mail Call.  If Ben is not working 24/7 he is not happy.  Believe me we sure want him to be happy.  What would we do without him?

Darrell Egner

Merle McMorrow

Ben:

We got back from the Minnesota lake home this afternoon and had the sad news on the answering machine that Cameron Gauthier (Board Member) died the Wednesday morning June 25th.  I had talked to him a few days earlier and he was experiencing breathing problems.  He also had trouble walking and indicated he had canceled the St. Louis trip.

I also talked to him after he was admitted to hospital and he said they had inserted some stints to open some vessels leading to the heart.

Our best wishes to you Ben.

                               Merle & Mardy

Mary Jane Hanron

thought you might be interested in my column (Link below) that was published this week. It was originally written for publication the week of Flag Day. Then Tim Russert died and I wrote a tribute to him (can be found if you scroll columnist archives for the Journal) that was placed that week due to its timeliness. Instead this one was kept for the week of July 4th and I hope with the few edits I did, it is just as meaningful.

Mary Jane

http://www.wickedlocal.com/hingham/news/lifestyle/columnists/x1713654328

Tom McAvoy

100 Years Ago In America

 Merle and Betty Traver
            What a story and what a woman!

God Bless This Woman!!

This is so awesome to watch. This woman deserves our praise and prayers.

http://www.militarytimes.com/hancock

Name: Bart Whatcott