From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2008 6:33 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO.1583-517TH PRCT-JULY 14, 2008

Hi Tom.

I am sending Mail Call out under difficulties and so font ,color and print may be mixed up.
 Please let me know if you want to receive Mail Calls or if you have a problem receiving them. You can always read Mail Calls  by clicking on

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

517th PRCT Auxiliary Mission Statement
517th PRCT Auxiliary Member Application 2007-2008
517th PRCT Auxiliary Officers and Committee Members 2007-2009

517th Annual Florida Mini-Reunion January 17,18,19, 20, 2009
 Banquet on the 20th (Tuesday) and Departing on the 21st (Wednesday)
  Hosted by: Leila Webb and Donna Hilliard
 Location: Ramada Hotel & Inn Gateway
 7470 Highway 192 West
 Kissimmee, Florida  34747
Tele: 1(800)327-9170          FAX 1(407)396-4320
web site: WWW.ramadagateway.com
Contact: Leila Webb
4155 Kissimmee Park Road
 St. Cloud, Florida       34772
Tele:(407)892-3595

LORY CURTIS

Ben,
    Wow, what great heartfelt comments from Chris Linder.  Please tell her my brother and I deeply appreciate her remarks, and insight.  It was so wonderful to meet her and get a chance to know her better.  Yes, we want to always be part of this wonderful group that our fathers, not knowing at the time of the war, would establish for us; their children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, and beyond.  We have a responsibility to keep this legacy alive. In the final sentences of my book I said, "Each of us must never forget what World War II veterans gave to this country and the world. We must never let such a world calamity happen again.  There service must never be forgotten.  The world has a responsibility to remember what these men did to keep the world free."

Lory Curtis, son of Bud Curtis, HQ 1st Bn

Joe Caldor
Ben

I need  Howard's e-mail address and telephone number. .  I am no longer living at my Greenville ,North Carolina address.  I am living 8 miles north of Kalamazoo at a place called Gull Lake. 269-671-4121.  Thanks

Joe McElroy

Ben, I'm sure that I would enjoy the the Mail Call emails if you want to put me on your group distribution. I am a bit of a military history buff. Enjoy Lake Tahoe                              ****************

Joe is Commander of local DAV Post, former paratrooper, and has giving much assistance to me and Veterans of all wars -Ben

Mary McCracken

On behalf of my dad, Mel Dahlberg, I would like to request that his mail be reestablished.  For some reason, he has not been receiving his 517th email updates.  His email address is: melmaedahl@usfamily.net
Thanks for your help.

Mary McCracken

"Treat a man as he appears to be and you make him worse.  But treat a man as if he already were what he potentially could be, and you make him what he should be."
                                                            - Goethe

Chester A. Wells

Ben and all members of the 517th:
   My wife and I had the great opportunity of attending the St. Louis reunion, our first, and wanted to say thanks to those who organized it and to those who attended.  It was very well organized and it was just a "dream come true" to be able to talk with both the veterans who attended and with the family members of those veterans no longer with us.  I have read much about the history of WWII and of the 517th; there in St. Louis I got to meet those who made that history!  What an honor it was to be there and we hope to be able to attend the next one.

  Had to send along a couple of photographs from the reunion.  The jump and the ride in the C-47 were fantastic!

Michael and Rhonda Wells
(Chester A. Wells - H Company)
Stansbury Park, Utah

Lyn Vickers

Hi Ben:
My son sends me these articles which I find interesting & hope you all do too.  Hope you are enjoying your trip.
Lyn
The Widdah Lyn and The Fine Old Gent, Cocoa
(Poopin Pepper the Crappin Cajun--May she rest in peace--1998-2008)
                                                   **********
How could I refuse a Poopin Pepper The  Crappin Cajun-Ben

Merle and Bette Traver

ONLY FLAG THAT DOESN'T FLY

Between the fields where the flag is planted, there are 9+ miles of flower fields that go all the way to the ocean. The flowers are grown by seed companies.
It's a beautiful place, close to Vandenberg AFB.  Check out the dimensions of the flag.
The Floral Flag is 740 feet long and 390 feet wide and maintains the proper Flag dimensions, as described in Executive Order #10834.
This Flag is 6.65 acres and is the first Floral Flag to be planted with 5 pointed Stars, comprised of White Larkspur.
Each Star is 24 feet in diameter; each Stripe is 30 feet wide.
This Flag is estimated to contain more than 400,000 Larkspur plants, with 4-5 flower stems each, for a total of more than 2 million flowers.

                          Ocean Ave. in Lompoc, CA! ..

Aerial photo courtesy of Bill Morson Soldiers' Prayer

For our soldiers.... Please don't break it

When you receive this, please stop for a moment and say a prayer for our servicemen. There is nothing attached.... Just send this to all the people in your address book. Do not stop the wheel, please...

Jerry Wolford

Bill Mauldin and Audie Murphy: Each served the American WWII war effort in their own unique way.
Virgina Votti

To All the Children who Survived being born in the 1930s, 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.
They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn’t get tested for diabetes.
Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.
We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.
As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.
Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.
We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.
We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.
We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank Kool-aid made with sugar, but we weren’t overweight because, we were always outside playing!
We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.
No one was able to reach us all day. And we were OK.
We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.

(Borrowed from the website of the Scottish Rite Masons, Dallas, TX).

Frank Ramos

Ben:  I have secured a Proclamation of the National Observance of the 60th Anniversary of the End of World War II, dated 2005 by President Bush.  My wife I came across it by chance at the White House and gave me some copies.  I thought a copy of this  document of it should be in the 517th PCRT Archives as historical testimonial to the members and families of the 517th PCRT.