From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, August 02, 2008 11:27 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1595- 517TH PRCT-AUGUST 2, 2008

I visited Howard Hensleigh Friday evening. He is feeling great and wants to say Hi to everyone. He is very content and happy in his surroundings at the Veterans Center in Menlo Park, Ca.

I may have missed some mail and will put it  in later Mail Calls including photos.

Please empty your Mail Box so that I wont get mail returned.

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to include Thunderbolt. Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the Thunderbolt. Send donations to Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY 12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace 66295 Highway 20 Bend, OR 97701

517th PRCT Auxiliary Mission Statement
517th PRCT Auxiliary Member Application 2007-2008
517th PRCT Auxiliary Officers and Committee Members 2007-2009
517th Annual Florida Mini-Reunion January 17,18,19, 20, 2009
 Banquet on the 20th (Tuesday) and Departing on the 21st (Wednesday)
Hosted by: Leila Webb and Donna Hilliard
 Location: Ramada Hotel & Inn Gateway
 7470 Highway 192 West
 Kissimmee, Florida 34747
Tele: 1(800)327-9170 FAX 1(407)396-4320
web site: www.ramadagateway.com
Contact: Leila Webb
4155 Kissimmee Park Road
 St. Cloud, Florida 34772
Tele:(407)892-3595

Helen Beddow

Hello everyone,

It is getting close to the publication of Issue No. 3 of the Thunderbolt, and I am still looking for additional pictures that could be used in this issue.  We had such a great time in St. Louis, and I know that I missed some good shots somewhere along the way.  The best and easiest way to do this is to email them to me, and I can go from there.  I do have to tell you that I have some great pictures in the beer garden when we visited the Busch Farm.  All of them will be used in this issue!!

We have a great issue coming up this time, and I will let you know when it goes to the Post Office.  Claire and I thank you for all of your comments and suggestions.  Feel free to contact either one of us at any time as we enjoy hearing from you.

I am still working on the Roster, deleting names and adding names.  If you are having trouble receiving your Thunderbolt, send me an email and I will take care of it.

Until next time,  Helen

Pat Seitz and Allan Greer

Ben:  please give our love and best wishes to Howard Hensleigh.  What a treat it would be to meet him in person.  Have a great time.  Pat Seitz and Alan Greer
Wayne Cross-  August , 1944 Part 2

"The First Platoon of Capt. Dalrymple's 596 Parachute Engineer Company had joined assault operations with elements of the 509 Parachute Inf. Battalion near Le Muy.  The Second Platoon, having been attached to 517 Second Battalion, conducted operations south of Les Arcs.  The Third Platoon had joined attack operations with 517 Third Battalion near Callian and later near Les Arcs.

The 596 Equipment List consisted of 58 equipment bundles containing 6000 pounds of explosives, 2000 pounds of mines, 14 mine detectors, 2 radios, 4 complete pioneer bundles, 3 machine gun bundles, 3 Basooka bundles, and 3 misc. equipment bundles.

By D Plus 3, German opposition within the confines of the Airhead had ceased.  On D plus 4, the Team was given a new mission to the east.  The Second and third Battalions were charged with the capture of Fayence and Callian.  This was accomplished by 21 August.

St. Cezaire fell to Companies G and I on the 22nd of Agust.  During the attack Company G had been pinned down, Company I surged through heavy fire up the mountainous slope to take the objective.  For this action, it earned a Commendation from Major General Robert T. Fredrick, commanding General of the First Airborne Task Force.

St. Vallier, Grasse, Bouyon, and La Rocquette fell in quick succession.  In the attack on La Roquette, Company E distinguished itself and also earned a Commendation from the Commanding General.

The Combat Team's momentum in the late summer was slowed by a line of enemy fortifications extending fro the Maritime Alps to the Sea.  The Germans attempted to hold a series of forts at all costs.  On 5 September Company D succeeded in taking some high ground near Col de Braus.  heavy fighting ensued.  Companies G and H were successful in capturing Col de Braus.  A step closer to the heavily defended Sospel Valley."
Howard Hensleigh

Note to Joe re Col. Walsh:

Tom Cross may have a better handle on it, but here is my version.

TIMING:  He was relieved shortly after we returned to Camp Mackall from Tennessee maneuvers, not as we were ready for overseas shipment.  We had time to become accustomed to the command of Lt. Col Rupert Graves prior to shipping overseas.

REASONS;  Col. Walsh did not get along well with the two Lts. Col from the 2nd Army who inspected us right after Tennessee.  One account is that he stood them at attention one evening during the inspection when he considered it his bedtime and left.  There probably was a dispute over inspection of our equipment shipped from Tennessee.  Col. Walsh wanted to clean it up before inspection and may have refused to go along with their demand to see it now.

I have an impression which may be a misimpression that the maneuvers umpires, while highly satisfied with the performance of troopers and elements of command under Col. Wash, had questions regarding his performance in commanding the regiment during maneuvers.  We made some heroic forced marches, but some of the umpires may have questioned whether they were necessary, given the existing tactical situation.

Tom Cross and Dick Seitz, as Exec. and Commander of 2nd Bn., were much closer to this than I was but this is the way it looked from a junior officer's vantage point.  There were other junior officers who had been with Col. Walsh much longer than I and they would have seen it from a different angle.

Howard Hensleigh