From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2008 10:32 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL. NO. 1596- 517TH PRCT- AUGUST 3, 2008
We have many photos from St Louis reunion in this Mail Call.

Leo Dean is still jumping. He has 113 now.

Please empty your Mail Box so that I wont get mail returned.

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to include Thunderbolt. Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the Thunderbolt. Send donations to Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY 12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace 66295 Highway 20 Bend, OR 97701

517th PRCT Auxiliary Mission Statement
517th PRCT Auxiliary Member Application 2007-2008
517th PRCT Auxiliary Officers and Committee Members 2007-2009
517th Annual Florida Mini-Reunion January 17,18,19, 20, 2009
 Banquet on the 20th (Tuesday) and Departing on the 21st (Wednesday)
Hosted by: Leila Webb and Donna Hilliard
 Location: Ramada Hotel & Inn Gateway
 7470 Highway 192 West
 Kissimmee, Florida 34747
Tele: 1(800)327-9170 FAX 1(407)396-4320
web site: www.ramadagateway.com
Contact: Leila Webb
4155 Kissimmee Park Road
 St. Cloud, Florida 34772
Tele:(407)892-3595

Howard Hensleigh

Ben:  Thanks to Wayne Cross for the historical update as the anniversary of our invasion of Southern France approaches.

Here is a little more detail on the attack on St. Cezaire only a week after we jumped in.  There is no doubt that Company I deserved the commendation from Major Geneneral Frederick and I am sure Frank Dallas would have wanted the credit to reflect on the entire company.  this is an example though of the many unit accomplishments that can be narrowed down to the effecteve and heroic deeds of one or two men.  Within the battalion, it was well known that then Sgt. Frank Dallas and Pvt. McQuade cleared out a path in enemy lines for I Company to surge "through heavy fire up the mountainous slope to take the objective."  I always had the idea that these two crack shots covered each other as they cut through a hundred yard enemy defensive position.  I talked to Frank about it a few years ago and learned that he broke through much as I had envisioned and got behind the defense line.  Then with the enemy facing the other way he eliminated that part of the defense of St. Cezaire that would have given the rest of I Company fits as they surged up the mountainous slope.  Frank was not too specific about how McQuade fit into the picture, but I do know that we gave the two men credit for the taking of St. Cezaire with few casualties.  The 517th and the 3rd Bn. in particular were better at doing what was necessary in the winning of the war, than taking care of the paper work.  In spite of how well known these facts were among the leaders of the battalion, neither man was written up for an award.  We did not rest long in St. Cezaire, but went on east the next day in pursuit of the enemy who were being pushed steadily toward Sospel and the Italian border.  There was a bright ending for Frank in all this.  Only a few years ago a number of I Company men who remembered the attack petitioned the Army to award Frank the silver star for his action in the attack on St. Cezaire.  When they were turned down, some of them got in touch with me and I supplimented their write up and strongly recommended the belated award.  To my great satisfaction the Army came to its senses and awarded Frank the silver star a number of years after his retirement as a Lt. Col.  For those of you who have purchased a copy of the recently reprinted Paratroopers' Odyssey you may see the tribute to Frank and the rest of the unsung heroes of the 517th to whom the reprint is dedicated on the first few pages of the book.

Howard Hensleigh

Bob Barrett

I posted the photos of the St. Louis reunion.  I think I got them all

Photos from Lory Curtis and Vanessa Armand

.http://517prct.org/reunions/2008_st_louis/photos/2008_reunion.htm

Pat Seitz

Ben:  Thanks so much. Boom Boom was a remarkable, sage of a man.  The pictures also brought back memories of the funeral of my godfather, John Lissner.

Chris Lindner

Hi Ben:

Why not have a "DEAR BEN COLUMN"!!!!!!!!! Your could just tell all of us "LOOK IT UP YOURSELVES" HAHAHAHA

Chris Lindner

Wayne Cross

End of the Campaigne in Southern France

The successful siege of Sospel brings to an end of the campaign in Southern France and sets up the terrible hardships that the 517th that will soon face in Belgium and Germany.  I've provided this brief summary of  the campaign to help familiarize family members with the timeline of the campaign but also to capture the French towns and cities that the 517 helped liberate.  This is the concluding summary by Clark Archer of the Southern France campaign.

"The First Battalion, supported by a Battery of the 460, pressed into Peira Cava.  A red letter day of the campaign was 18 September when Ventebren and Tete de Lavina were taken by the Second and Third Battalions.

The remainder of September was spent digging defensive positions in and around Peira Cava.  The Combat Team now held a thinly manned 15 mile front, using mines and booby traps to take the place of Troopers.  Attacks on Hill 1098 ended the month with the roar of artillery duels echoing through the Maritime Alps.

Despite heavy artillery fire, a patrol from Company F pushed into Sospel on 29 October.  The Germans withdrew and Company B moved up through the positions to push on and occupy Mt. Agaisen.

The siege of Sospel was over after 51 days of  continuous fighting and the Combat Team fanned out in pursuit of the enemy.  The campaign was terminated on 17 November.  The Team marched 48 Kilometers over the mountains and down into the sunny Riviera.

On 6 December the Team moved from La Colle to entrain at Antibes.  The men crowded into small 40 & 8 rail cars for the train ride to the North.  Destination, Soissons, France.

On 12 December the destination was reached, only a few days before Von Rundstedt unleashed his Ardennes Offensive.  The Team was alerted and two days later sped northward to the vicinity of Namur, Belgium."

Bob Dalrymple

Subject: FW: Here she is in New York! The USS New York. Take a look at this ship ...

Here SHE is, the USS New York, made from the World Trade Center !

USS New York

It was built with 24 tons of scrap steel from theWorld TradeCenter

It is the fifth in a new class of warship - designed for missions that include special operations against terrorists. It will carry a crew of 360 sailors and 700 combat-ready Marines to be delivered ashore by helicopters and assault craft.

Steel from the WorldTradeCenterwas melted down in a foundry in Amite, LAto cast the ship's bow section. When it was poured into the molds on Sept 9, 2003, 'those big rough steelworkers treated it with total reverence,' recalled Navy Capt. Kevin Wensing, who was there. 'It was a spiritual moment for everybody there.'

Junior Chavers, foundry operations manager, said that when the trade center steel first arrived, he touched it with his hand and the 'hair on my neck stood up.' 'It had a big meaning to it for all of us,' he said. 'They knocked us down. They can't keep us down. We're going to be back.'

The ship's motto? 'Never Forget'