From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 2:58 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1624- 517TH PRCT- SEPTEMBER 17, 2008

 Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Claire Giblin

Update on the St. Louis Filming Project

As many of you know, the 517 Association and the Auxiliary invested in a filming project conducted at the St. Louis reunion.  Filming was done by Rob McDonald (Hunter's nephew) and his assistant Mary Lloyd McDonald; interviews were conducted by Pat O'Donnell (historian, keynote speaker at DC's reunion, and longtime friend to the 517th).  We felt fortunate to get the services of three such accomplished people, giving this project the professionalism it deserved.  Securing the history of the unit is part of the Auxiliary's mission statement; I think it's the most important part.

Because the 517 and the Auxiliary are currently enjoying financial good health, we were able to underwrite the approximately $9000. cost to film interviews with 31 vets, stretching over 3 days at the St. Louis reunion.  Givers all, the McDonald-O'Donnell crew went above and beyond, giving the association far more time than we'd paid them for.  The McDonalds have already far exceeded their contracted editing time.

Filming was done in High Definition using some of the best available technology.

Now we'd like to take this raw footage and turn it into a "broadcast hour," suitable for PBS or the History Channel.  At the very least, we would like to make it into an hour-long documentary, suitable for your grandchildren's history classes.

Finished film is expensive.  Everyone needs to take a deep breath and prepare: finished film costs more than $1000 per minute!  It can cost twice or three times that!

When I first learned that, I wondered how anything gets on tv at all!

Because Rob and Mary Lloyd are friends to the unit, we will enjoy special pricing, but it is still expensive.  $25,000 will get us a great finished hour (or "broadcast hour," which is a bit less); $40,000 will finish it into the type of hour that PBS or the History Channel would require.

As we announce this fundraising campaign, I am pleased to announce that we already have two charter donations totaling $4000.  Gina Votti, daughter of a buzzard, is our latest corporate sponsor. Her company is Clinbio, and she has directed that her donation go toward the film project.  Pat Seitz and Alan Greer have committed $3000. to the film project as well.  I cannot thank these donors enough for their commitment to my favorite vets, the men of the 517th.

As I ask for donations to the film project, I must state that no one - NO ONE - should donate if it is a financial hardship at all.  This project will probably be financed largely by the children of Buzzards.  Veterans should not donate if it means that they cannot, for example, attend a reunion.  Attendance at reunions is far more important than donating to this project.  We have the raw interviews (and they should be available within a matter of months); that is the important part.

So after all that, here's the pitch:

If your personal situation permits, please donate to the 517 film project.  Our fundraising targets are $25,000 and an additional $15,000 for a total of $40,000 (though we're hoping that the final $15,000 might be picked up by a corporate sponsor or television station).  Donations in any amount are gratefully accepted.  Donors making a contribution before November 1, 2008 will join the ranks of Charter Donors.  All donors will be credited by name in the final film.   We are already 10% of the way to the final total, and we're 16% of the way to the first step of $25,000!

We can do this!  Help secure the history!

Thank you all!

Claire Giblin
President, 517 Auxiliary
daughter, Allan Johnson, 596
Dick Seitz

For Bill Webb, thanks for your kind words.  Airborne. Dick Seitz
Ronald Stassen - Netherlands friend

Dear Ben,

 I’m receiving all you’re messages.

Keep up the good work.

Jerry Wolford

 Ben I just saw the Mail Call with the photos of the "3rd Annual 517th Commemorative March" sent in by Gilles Guignard. I commend Mr Guignard and all the re-enactors who took time out from their lives to pay tribute to a group of guys, that being the 517th, that most of them have never met and only heard about or seen in photos through the passing of time. They obviously hold the memory of their liberators in high esteem even after 63 years.  To emulate their heroes they go to great length. I would like to say to the men of the Five - Seventeen, you know you did it right when after sixty plus years a group of grateful people still gather in your honor. I am so proud of you guys.

Nephew Of A Buzzard

Lory Curtis

Ben,
Please let John Krumm, and others who have purchased the book, Letters
Home a Paratroopers Story, know how grateful I am for his comments about
the book.  It made my day!   It was wonderful meeting you John at the
reunion, and hope to see you at others in the future.

Lory Curtis, son of Bud Curtis, HQ, 1st BN

Gilles Guignard

Dear Ben and Bob,

Thanks for putting the pictures of the march online, the way you did it is just great !

If you look at the very last photo on the page showing Allan Johnson 460th PFAB, we can see Claire Giblin behind him !

It was just great to meet Claire and her Dad on various occasions in Southern France this summer.

Thanks again and kind regards,
Gilles

Hello to all

I did not intend to send out the photos yesterday. However I hit a wrong key. Sometimes the computer places the wrong number, wrong date and wrong time.

To make up for past errors ,here is something serious. - Ben

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eycW2K0zOIE