From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 3:07 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1638- 517TH PRCT-0CTOBER 14, 2008

Hello;

Sospel 1944 and 2008

Pvt. Richard Whidden, D Company

Col de Braus battle - 64th anniversary

Sospel 1943 and now

3rd Annual 517th Commemorative March, August 2008

Visit to Southern France 2008 with Ignatius Bail, 460th PFAB

Ben Barrett

Hi Pat and Roland,

Received the photos and will soon have them on the website. Is the Golf hotel still in the area? I spent a couple nights in it as the Germans were shelling it.

Looking forward to seeing you at 2009 reunion.

Ben

Hi Ben
included 2 pictures of Hotel du golf. It is now shared in appartments.

We hope to be in SLC but I don't know because I have to be at my office early in July. so I have to ask my boss.
we let you know, of course.

Patricia and Roland Orengo

BOB DALRYMPLE
Ben, I plan to be in Salt Lake City and Palm Spgs .Bob   PS: Claire to note ,too .

Bob Barrett

As usual, AOL shrinks the picture and makes it a little difficult to read.  Instead of inserting that picture, open and insert this one:

 Darrell Egner

Ben this is to long for Mail Call but I thought you would enjoy reading it and looking at the pictures.  Sorry about the AOL crap, what next?  Regards,
Darrell

Hi Darrell,There is more than one way to pluck a chicken-Ben

Sea unearths secret Nazi bunkers that lay hidden for more th...

 Ray Estrella
Hello Ben, I have never been to a national 517th convention. I am very interested in going to  Salt Lake City. I will discuss this with Ruben ASAP. Take care and God Bless--Ray Estrella

 Tom McAvoy

I had the misfortune to be  in the same plane as Red Meline and Lt.Col Zais that  morning of the jump into France, I was always told we were 30 miles off the drop zone, (not 20 miles) It also included Major Vella our Regt, Surgeon and 1st Lt John Neiler (whom we never hear of, or from). I think there was 5-6 injuries from the drop that required leaving the troopers behind.  I thought the world of Lt.Col Zais, but I was laying in a farm house paralyzed and Major Vella told Zais that we wil have to leave this guy here as he keeps passing out, (I cannot tell how serious his injuries are without x-rays) and we cannot carry him, with us since we are so far behind the enemy lines. Zais lays my rifle beside me and said Trooper we are going to have to leave you here, here is your rifle, defend yourself if the Germans come in here. Defend myself and I cannot move? Tom McAvoy
Claire Giblin
Breaking the rules with aol....now there's some surprise.  Of course you're breaking the rules.  Paratroopers have a long and rich history of rule-breaking.  Weren't you known as Colonel Graves's Thieves?  I hang out with Leo Dean, who is still breaking the rules.

So - you will figure out a way to ... hmmm.... break the rules so they can't figure it out?

Go get 'em, Ben!  You're one of my favorite rule-breakers.

hugs and love from Claire
Thanks a lot Claire!!!!!!!! Are you trying to get me shot? - Ben