From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2008 8:11 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1642-517THPRCT- OCTOBER 24, 2008

517th Annual Florida Mini-Reunion January 17,18,19, 20, 2009

Banquet on the 20th (Tuesday) and Departing on the 21st (Wednesday)

Hosted by: Leila Webb, Location: Ramada Hotel & Inn Gateway

7470 Highway 192 West

Kissimmee, Florida  34747

Tele: 1(800)327-9170          FAX 1(407)396-4320

Contact: Leila Webb, Helen Beddow and Lou Darden

4155 Kissimmee Park Road

St. Cloud, Florida       34772

Tele:(407)892-3595

Room Rate - $65.00            Registration Fee - $40.00

Palm Springs, CA

West Coast Party

April 20-24, 2009

Recent website additions:

Sospel 1944 and 2008

Pvt. Richard Whidden, D Company

Col de Braus battle - 64th anniversary

Sospel 1943 and now

3rd Annual 517th Commemorative March, August 2008

Visit to Southern France 2008 with Ignatius Bail, 460th PFAB

Howard Hensleigh

Note to Marion Hupman   The lake is within trooper walking distance of Frascatti, Italy, south of Rome.  It may be mentioned (or even named) in the Paratrooopers' Odyssey.  Howard Hensleigh

Van Daele Xavier

It was said that if a person’s name is forgotten after he is dead, it was as though he had never existed -- unless there is a notation somewhere recorded that he had actually lived.

Dear Sir,

Excuse me for taking a little of your time.

I introduce myself, my name is Xavier Van Daele, I am 32 years old and I am Belgian.

I claimed to create a site on the airborne troops. As well the 101st, as the 82nd, 11th, etc... And the 517th PRCT!!! Here: www.usairborne.be

If you have time, feel free to take a look on it.

I am doing some short subjects concerning veterans who accepted to answer my questions. I already received answers from: George Theis, William Guarnere, David Webster (his son), Clancy Lyall, Gene Aune, Bill Tingen, Howard Huebner, Robet Murphy, Bill K Tom ...

I wanted to know if you authorize me to ask you some questions so that I can integrate it in my site and make a sort of small "biography". Of course, if you do not have time, I you will not hold rigour of it!! And I would understand completely that you refuse to answer! I think that I am not the only one who came to you with the willing of getting an interview.

I don't want to write a book or earn money with your story, but only to tell your story to all generations.

I thank you in advance.

Here my details:

Van Daele Xavier

Hameau les Bois 3a

7181 Arquennes

Belgium

E-mail :x_va@hotmail.com

Bob Barnes

Hi Ben,
          We were away from home for over a week and since we have been getting lots of SPAM lately, mail box was Overloaded.
        Cleared it out today,  trying to solve the problem.
         Hope things are going well with  you.

                                                                                     Bob

Diane Lynch
Message: Ben, I saw the attached obituary in todays paper of a former 517th trooper.

Please visit the Notice for John Claude Williams.

http://www.legacy.com/Link.asp?I=LS000119259727X

Click on the above link or cut and paste the url into your browser's address bar.

 John Claude Williams was in  Hq. 3- Ben

Don Sliker Jr

Harry Truman after the presidency--interesting

Harry Truman, from Missouri , was a different kind of President.  He probably made as many important decisions regarding our nation's history as any of the other 42 Presidents.  However, a measure of his greatness may rest on what he did after he left the White House.

Historians have written the only asset he had when he died was the house he lived in, which was in Independence Missouri .  On top of that, his wife inherited the house from her Mother.
When he retired from office in 1952, his income was a U.S. Army pension reported to have been $13,507.72 a year.  Congress, noting that he was paying for his stamps and personally licking them, granted him an 'allowance' and, later, a retroactive pension of $25,000 per year.

After President Eisenhower was inaugurated, Harry and Bess drove home to Missouri by themselves.  There were no Secret Service following them.

When offered corporate positions at large salaries, he declined, stating, 'You don't want me.  You want the office of the President, and that doesn't belong to me.  It belongs to the American people and it's not for sale.'

Even later, on May 6, 1971, when Congress was preparing to award him the Medal of Honor on his 87th birthday, he refused to accept it, writing, 'I don't consider that I have done anything which should be the reason for any award, Congressional or otherwise.'

He never owned his own home and as president he paid for all of his own travel expenses and food.

Modern politicians have found a new level of success in cashing in on the Presidency, resulting in untold wealth.  Today, many in Congress also have found a way to become quite wealthy while enjoying the fruits of their offices.  Political offices are now for sale.

Good old Harry Truman was correct when he observed, 'My choices early in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician.  And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference.'

October 24, 1962

1962: Blockade of Cuba

[Unable to display image]

The U.S. began its quarantine of Cuba with a 180-ship blockade at 10 a.m. this morning. “The U.S. quarantine against arms to Cuba went into effect this morning and all signs pointed to a clash within hours between American warships and Soviet vessels headed for the island,” reported The Holland Evening Sentinel described on October 24, 1962.

“With tension continuing to build in the most critical situation since World War II, President Kennedy met with cabinet officials and his top-level military and intelligence advisors,” the story continued. “Twenty-five Russian ships, some believed to be carrying missiles capable of wrecking American cities, moved toward a bristling ring of U.S. warships and planes which were under orders to block by whatever means further aggressive arms deliveries to Fidel Castro.”