From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 6:32 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO .1645,- 517TH PRCT- 0CTOBER 29, 2008

517th Annual Florida Mini-Reunion January 17,18,19, 20, 2009

Banquet on the 20th (Tuesday) and Departing on the 21st (Wednesday)

Hosted by: Leila Webb, Location: Ramada Hotel & Inn Gateway

7470 Highway 192 West

Kissimmee, Florida  34747

Tele: 1(800)327-9170          FAX 1(407)396-4320

Contact: Leila Webb, Helen Beddow and Lou Darden

4155 Kissimmee Park Road

St. Cloud, Florida       34772

Tele:(407)892-3595

Room Rate - $65.00            Registration Fee - $40.00

Palm Springs, CA

West Coast Party

April 20-24, 2009

Recent website additions:

Sospel 1944 and 2008

Pvt. Richard Whidden, D Company

Col de Braus battle - 64th anniversary

Sospel 1943 and now

3rd Annual 517th Commemorative March, August 2008

Visit to Southern France 2008 with Ignatius Bail, 460th PFAB

General Dick Seitz

Ben, thanks for your e-mail on Lt Col Osborne's request for info on our 517th trooper Boyer.  I hope someone can relate some info on Boyer and keep the interest the Chairman of The Joint Chiefs of Staff in the 517th alive.  With continuing keen respect for all you do for us.  Airborne all the way.  Dick
Howard Hensleigh

Dear Lt. Col Osborne,

First let me commend you and the admiral -- you for your assignment with the Joint Chiefs and he as the chairman, as well as having an uncle of the caliber of Chuck Boyer.  I was a member of the OSD General Counsel's Office, International Affairs, from 1955 to 1967 and worked with the Joint Chiefs on many of the demanding international problems of that period.  So, I know something of your daily activities that sometimes run into the night.

I knew Chuck in two capacities, as Hq. Third Bn. first sergeant and as a member of the S-2 section where we patrolled two or three times a week during the Southern France and Battle of the Bulge campaigns.  Chuck died some years ago, but we were able to get his widow to join us at a reunion in Palm Springs.  There were seven of us in the S-2 section, but only three left -- George (Red) Meline who lives near Redding, CA and our French speaking Vermonter, Rene Benoit.  Rene has had a stroke or two.  George is in good shape and gets down here to see me frequently.  As you can imagine we were a close knit group.  George had the closest and longest association and friendship with Chuck and I am sure would be more than willing to share his sentiments with the admiral.

Chuck had three main interests, two of which were in conflict.  He was devoted to his future spouse and wrote her every day, sometimes only getting the letter sealed after midnight.  He was also a devout Catholic and wanted to become a priest; he always assisted the Catholic Chaplin in the services in camp or in the field.  When he left the service in 1945, it appears that the young lady won the day.  His third interest was in the Third Battalion 517th Parachute Infantry.  In every sense of the word, Chuck was trooper.  His posture and uniform always stood him apart from the ordinary.  He easily made first sergeant, but on a matter of principal turned in his stripes in a disagreement with his company commander.  So, we were delighted to welcome him back in the S-2 section.

As a matter of interest we also had Frank Wakeman, the grandson of War Chief Little Crow in the section.  Little Crow was a Sioux who had a war named after him during the Civil War.

While in law practice in Traer, Iowa, I had some clients who lived nearby named Boyer.  We had lost track of Chuck and were always trying to get a lead on the missing.  Knowing that Chuck had come from Iowa, on inquiry I found they were related but did not have Chuck's CA address.  Here may be some of the admirals other relatives.

Thank you for your inquiry.  It brought back memories of one of the best troopers in the early days of the airborne.

Ben,  Here is more on the Chuck Boyer picture.  Since it was taken in June 1945, these men were on a week's leave in the Riviera.  We took Nice in 1944 and had some one day passes there to get a bath and brief respite from combat in the mountains before we left after Thanksgiving on 40 and 8's for the "winter offensive" in the North.  The war in Europe was over by June and from experience, the Riviera week was one to remember.  Don Chalk and Jim Kichen both have passed on within the last few years.  Don whose son still may be in touch was an S-3 sergeant who I worked with from Bergstein on in the S-3 section.  Kichen was a G Co Sgt. who assisted me in leading a G Company patrol after we had completed the attack south of Stavelot.

Best airborne regards,  Howard Hensleigh

Pat Seitz and Allan Greer

 Dear Ben:  Just a note of thanks to Patricia and Roland Orengo for their steadfast devotion to preserving the history of the 517th and the liberation of Sospel in WWII.  I am reading a book about the German occupation of Guernsey, of the British Channel Isles (off the coast of France) in WWII and after describing the significant  deprivation the islanders endured on the island, there was a comment from one of the islanders who visited the continent in early 1946, that their hardships were nothing compared to those on those on the continent.  The book reminds me once again the importance of encouraging the men of the 517th to share their memories.  I join with Patricia and Roland to say thank you to the 517th men for their dedication and sacrifices that the evils of Nazism were overcome.

    Pat Seitz and Alan Greer
PS  Dad is doing better each day and he looks great. I've returned to Florida but miss being with him very much.

Patricia Orengo
Ben, you can give to Dan Curtis our email address, of course.
It will be a pleasure to be in touch with him.
Have a good day.
Patricia Orengo

 Chris Lindner
Hi All:

Ben--I found an old picture of my Dad and a man on his back with a ace bandage on his right foot.  The picture was faded so I had it restored and I was wondering if you can put this on the website and see if anyone knows who my Dad (Nate Rubenstein) is giving a piggy back ride to.

I hope I can get this picture attached.

Thanks

Chris