From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 6:29 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1650- 517TH PRCT-NOVEMBER 4, 2008

517th Annual Florida Mini-Reunion January 17,18,19, 20, 2009

Banquet on the 20th (Tuesday) and Departing on the 21st (Wednesday)

Hosted by: Leila Webb, Location: Ramada Hotel & Inn Gateway

7470 Highway 192 West

Kissimmee, Florida  34747

Tele: 1(800)327-9170          FAX 1(407)396-4320

Contact: Leila Webb, Helen Beddow and Lou Darden

4155 Kissimmee Park Road

St. Cloud, Florida       34772

Tele:(407)892-3595

Room Rate - $65.00            Registration Fee  - $40.00

Palm Springs, CA

West Coast Party

April 20-24, 2009

Recent website additions:

Sospel 1944 and 2008

Pvt. Richard Whidden, D Company

Col de Braus battle - 64th anniversary

Sospel 1943 and now

3rd Annual 517th Commemorative March, August 2008

Visit to Southern France 2008 with Ignatius Bail, 460th PFAB

Cory Mace

Gary,

I'm saddened to hear about your grandfather.  Here's one of my favorite pics for you.  Here he is talking to me at Manassas, VA Regional Airport during the 2007 WDC Reunion jump.

Corey
CAJT

Cory Mace

Dear 517th PRCT Veterans, Family, & Friends,

As we all know a very special anniversary date is approaching this coming year.  On August 15, 2009, it will mark the 65th Anniversary of Operation Dragoon and the famous combat jump that the brave men of the 517th PRCT made.  This jump was the most successful jump operation of WWII and it can be attributed to the heroes of the 517th PRCT.  The jump was the backbone of the Southern France Invasion that has always been cast in the shadows of the Normandy Invasion and the Fall of Rome.

Military Guru's, historians, and joe the citizen barely speak about the great endeavor called Operation Dragoon.  Men of the 101st and 82nd Airborne Divisions keep on receiving honors and commemorations for their participation in Operation Overlord year after year.  I have even participated in two jump operations dedicated to these men in Normandy 2004 and 2006.  Never has an American Jump Team jumped onto the same sacred grounds as the 517th did back on August 15, 1944.  They deserve the honors and should be commemorated in the same way!

The Commemorative Airborne Jump Team has jumped in honor and commemoration of the 517th PRCT during their National Reunions in 2007 and again in 2008.  It would definitely be a great honor for us to jump in Southern France this coming August in what will be a huge celebration marking 65 years of freedom, giving to the French people by the men of the 517th PRCT.

It is our teams mission to honor these great WWII Airborne Veterans and it would be a dream come true for our team to have the privilege to jump onto the same soil as they did so many years ago, especially on such an important date.  Please check out our team website for past pictures with our heroes of the 517th.

If anyone within the 517th Association, Auxiliary, Families, and especially our French and European Friends have any input or would like to help us on tackling this great endeavor, please contact our team so we can get this C47 rolling down the runway!  It will take dedication from both sides of the pond and our team has some great ideas, we just need some great contacts to work with.  I know there are several organizations and units within that region that participate in yearly celebrations, maybe they could help.

We would like to jump near Le Muy and/or Draguignan!  Please help us get that "green light".

Corey Mace
Commemorative Airborne Jump Team
jumpmastercajt@yahoo.com
http://cajt.wordpress.com/

Don Saunders

 Ben,

I read your letter from LTC Craig Osborne of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. I didn't know his uncle but thought that it was strange that my grandson LTC Anthony Saunders is also at the joint Chiefs of Staff.

Don Saunders 596 PEC - 517 PRCT
Tom McAvoy
re :Backus.   I remember a Ed Backus (I think his first name was Ed) Do not remember what Company. I believe he was Cadre for 517.  I cannot remember how I knew him, but after the war I was a Ticket Agent at Midway Airport Chicago for Eastern Airlines (about 1947-48).  Who walks in to buy a ticket  but Ed Backus, I called him by his first and last name. and right away  he says, "How do you know me?" I said "517 should tell you" He said "No foolin. What company were you in?"  I said "Regt Hdq Co. and H Co. 3rd Btn in Italy ,& jump into France with 3rd Btn Hdq Co.S-2 received critical injuries on the drop, so my war was over right  there.  I do not remember what company he said he was with.  But that is about the only way I could have known him if he was Cadre, Rather tall slim man, but weren't we all rather slim after that basic training of 5 months before Jump School in Aug. at Ft Benning Ga.     Anybody else chime in here if you remember this guy.  I think he told me he was living in Northern Mich. at that time.  Was going to check out Smoke Jumping in the West  Tom McAvoy
Tom McAvoy
Military Pics:  These are some really great pictures of the military.  Be sure to check them all out.  Three different sets,
don't miss any...
http://www.tom-phillips.info/images/cool.pics.military.htm
http://www.tom-phillips.info/images/cool.pics.military.2.htm
http://www.tom-phillips.info/images/cool.pics.military.3.htm