From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2008 7:40 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1651- 517TH PRCT- NOVEMBER 6, 2008

I talked to Eleanor Archer today. Clark still gets around but memory is not good.

517th Annual Florida Mini-Reunion January 17,18,19, 20, 2009

Banquet on the 20th (Tuesday) and Departing on the 21st (Wednesday)

Hosted by: Leila Webb, Location: Ramada Hotel & Inn Gateway

7470 Highway 192 West

Kissimmee, Florida  34747

Tele: 1(800)327-9170          FAX 1(407)396-4320

Contact: Leila Webb, Helen Beddow and Lou Darden

4155 Kissimmee Park Road

St. Cloud, Florida       34772

Tele:(407)892-3595

Room Rate -$65.00            Registration Fee  -$40.00

Palm Springs, CA

West Coast Party

April 20-24, 2009

Recent website additions:

Sospel 1944 and 2008

Pvt. Richard Whidden, D Company

Col de Braus battle - 64th anniversary

Sospel 1943 and now

3rd Annual 517th Commemorative March, August 2008

Visit to Southern France 2008 with Ignatius Bail, 460th PFAB

Darrell Egner

Corey Mace

Just read your excellent E-mail in Mail Call.  Please know the members of the 517 feel like your part of the 517 with your great jumps in Washington and in St. Louis and your displays in the Hospitably Rooms.  All of us enjoyed talking to all the members of your group.  They are a great bunch of young men.

I want to express my thanks for your group coming through for us in St .Louis.  A very short time before the Banquet with 210 people in the room I received word that the Honor Guard would not be able to attend.  I talked to you and asked if your group would consider performing this honor.  With a little arm twisting you agreeded to do the job.  As I remember none of your fine young men had never done this in the past.  With a little practice in the lobby your Guys came through and did a wonderful job and saved the day.

Please continue to attempt to raise money from both sides of the pond.  We are holding the Florida Mini in January and I expect we will have 5 members of the board in attendance.  At the Men's Meeting I will get a feel from those in attendance if we should canvas the entire board to see if the 517 PRCT can come up with some funds from our treasury.  Needless to say the figure I hear of $100,000 to finance the trip means that you are going to have to work very hard to accomplish this goal.  I feel that some of our foreign friends will help but it will probably take a sizeable contribution from a Corporation.  With our new President who knows what will happen.

Good luck, and I will keep you informed regarding fund raising.

Regards,

Darrell Egner
President 517 PRCT

Tom Copsey

Corey,

Right on for a jump in France in 09.  This is Tom (Crofton MD - in your backyard) for John Copsey - CO I - let me know if/how I can support.  Pop didn't speak much about the war but he did talk about the challenges of Dragoon especially for the 3rd Bttn. (plus I am way overdue for a revisit of France)

God bless you and the rest of the CAJT in your spirit and support of the 517th!  Enjoyed meeting you and your Team at DC and St Louis!!

Tom Copsey
Phil McSpadden
This is one of the best videos I have seen in a long time and not a word is spoken - no need.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2487638612433437293&q=Vetera

Darrell Egner

Tom McAvoy

First of all thanks for the great pictures pictures you put in Mail Call.  Your memory is pretty good.  I remember Sgt. Backus and his first name was George not Ed.  He was a Staff Sgt. in Hq 2nd Batt and was listed in the Christmas booklet we received in 1944.  I am quite sure he was not Cadre.  I remember him as a very nice guy and low key.  Chris Lindner has made quite a search to find him but no luck.  I asked Dorothy Mackenzie if she knew him as he and Jim were good friends.  Haven't heard back from her.

Corey Mace

517th PRCT Veterans, Friends, & Family Members,

The Warbird Digest magazine has published their Nov/Dec issue, #23 and it contains a very nice article on the 517th PRCT, C47 Black Sparrow, and Commemorative Airborne Jump Team.  Staff members from the magazine were on hand at this years National Reunuion in St. Louis and took many amazing photos of all three entities involved with the article.

Please get your copy now before they're gone.  Go to the Warbird Digest website http://www.warbirddigest.com/ and click on the bottom area where it says "Find WD On Newstands".  This will enable you to pick your state and find a bookstore in your area that carries the magazine.  You can also order this issue directly from Warbird Digest.

Hope you enjoy the article and the pictures.

Corey Mace
Commemorative Airborne Jump Team

Helen Beddow

Ben,

I just read yesterday's Mail Call, and regarding Ed Backus.....Ed and his wife, Betty, attended the Reunion in Savannah.  At that time, his address was 122 Brook Drive, Marshall, MI  49068.  His email was
e-backus@webTV.net.  His phone number was 269.781.8111.  I don't know if this information is still current, however it is worth a try.

Dianne Lynch

Ben,

            I happened to see an obituary in our local newspaper for John Claude Williams that served with the 517th in WWII and was wounded in the Battle of the Bulge.  I have attached a copy of his obituary. It does not state which company he was assigned to.

Thanks,

Diane

John Claude Williams was in Hq. 3

Today in History

1860: Lincoln becomes first Republican U.S. President

Abraham Lincoln was elected to the U.S. presidency today. By defeating Stephen A. Douglas, Lincoln became the first Republican president. On November 7, 1860, the Dawsons Fort Wayne Daily Times reported election results along with the headline, "Republicans be Glad!" The paper continued: "But let wisdom and urbanity be the governing principle in your gladness. The victory is ours. Now let us merit it; and by wisdom and patriotism continue that policy, for without both, the change will not be to the people a reform, but a barren result."

“Abraham Lincoln and Hannibal Hamlin are elected President and Vice President of the United States. We need add nothing to the world of meaning conveyed in these words,” reported The Berkshire County Eagle on November 8, 1860. “In that glorious fact are foreshadowed equal rights to every section and every class of freemen in the Union. The rights and interests of free labor are not to be sacrificed to an oligarchy of slaveholders; States are not to be excluded from the Union for establishing a free constitution; commerce, manufacturing, art, commercial intercourse, and internal improvements are no longer to be governed by sectional prejudice. Majorities are to rule, and the interests of many are not to be sacrificed to the prejudices of the few. At last the people rule.”