From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, November 09, 2008 6:58 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO.1653- 517TH PRCT-NOVEMBER 9, 2008

517th Annual Florida Mini-Reunion January 17,18,19, 20, 2009

Banquet on the 20th (Tuesday) and Departing on the 21st (Wednesday)

Hosted by: Leila Webb, Location: Ramada Hotel & Inn Gateway

7470 Highway 192 West

Kissimmee, Florida  34747

Tele: 1(800)327-9170          FAX 1(407)396-4320

Contact: Leila Webb, Helen Beddow and Lou Darden

4155 Kissimmee Park Road

St. Cloud, Florida       34772

Tele:(407)892-3595

Room Rate - $65.00            Registration Fee - $40.00

Palm Springs, CA

West Coast Party

April 20-24, 2009

Recent website additions:

Sospel 1944 and 2008

Pvt. Richard Whidden, D Company

Col de Braus battle - 64th anniversary

Sospel 1943 and now

3rd Annual 517th Commemorative March, August 2008

Visit to Southern France 2008 with Ignatius Bail, 460th PFAB

Bob Barrett

I knew that this site had info on Robert Woodhull.  I didn’t know that they have info on other 517th KIAs:

517th Regimental Combat Team

1. Pvt Anthony P. Manley

2. Pfc James L. Baney

3. 1Lt Thomas L. Rea

4. Cpl Frank W. Hayes

5. Pfc Leonard Dallas Stevens

6. Pvt Everett J. Rice

7. Capt. Robert Woodhull

Click on above links to learn about these troopers.

Why did they have to  die in "The Bloody Forest"(Huertgen)?

Was the battle necessary when the war was nearly over?

Why were elite troops like the 517th PIR used in a diversionary action?

The action was question by many field officers.

Was a higher command officer trying to gain promotion before the war ended?

Maj. Gen. Rudolph Gersdoff, chief of staff for the German 7th army couldn't understand why allied  troops were sacrificed in such an unnecessary action.

Ben

 Jim Mortensen

Hi Ben

On a cruise in the Med. We spent a day at Naples and I was reminded of our 1944 entry there. There have been a few changes.

I've been in Italy 20 times since 1944, mostly on business up on the north side of the country, so I've missed doing this part of the world. But I hadn't noticed!
Hope all is well.

Dick Seitz
For Walt Persowski, F co, 2nd Bn, happy 85th birthday.  All good wishes,  Airborne all the way! Dick Seitz

Kathy Perkowski

Sure, I would love to receive them.  My father does not use the PC, do you also send announcements in hard copy, or should I keep him informed of upcoming events?

Thanks so much,

Kathy Perkowski

Barney Hekkala
Re:  Ed Backus - Home address, 122 Brook Rd.., Marshall, Mi  49068-9521.  Barney Hekkala Co A
Scott Atkinson

Ben,  I would appreciate your changing my email address to scotta@satx.rr.com.

BTW, A wing of the South Texas Academy for Medical Technology in San Benito, TX was named for my uncle, Erwin W. Scott Jr. a member of Company D, 517th PRCT.

I'm attaching a few pictures of the school & wing.

Thanks,

Howard Hensleigh

BEN,  YOU SAID IT.  I WAS GOING TO TOUCH BASE WITH TOM REBER WHEN THE HAWKS SLIPPED BY WISCONSIN, BUT THIS PROVES BIG TEN FOOTBALL IS EMOTIONAL AND EXCITING EVEN IF THE BIG TEN CHAMP IS NO LONGER ASSURED A ROSE BOWL BERTH.  AS A FORMER WISCONSIN LINEMEN, TOM KNOWS FIRST HAND.  TOM SAYS HIS DAD, BOB REBER, OUR MORTAR PLATOON LEADER, ON CANADIAN CRUTCHES, ATTENDED ALL HIS GAMES, HIGH SCHOOL AND COLLEGE.  HH

Steve Markle

I have just completed the upload of the January 1983 edition of Wings (596 publication by Dr. Charles Pugh).
I particularly like the note from Charlie that said;
"Bob Dalrymple has organized a Norman Luboff type choir of 14 males in Green Valley, AZ. The call themselves the "Lonesome Cowboys" and specialize in Western songs. They recently made their professional debut and received high praise in a newspaper review. They may be good singers but I'll bet Colonel Bob had them doing push-ups every time someone sings off key or forgets a word. And can't you envision the inspections those other 13 fellows have to go through prior to the performance. In any event, the next time your local service or civic club needs a good program, remember the "Lonesome Cowboys" are available for bookings ----- Have pitch pipe, will travel."
....and for any of you that were at the West Coast Reunion in 2008, you can attest that Bob can still hold his own on the stage.

Issue;

Article and index for all issues;

Enjoy.
-Steve-