From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2008 9:57 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1658- 517TH PRCT- NOVEMBER 14, 2008

Please tell me if you mail is not to be included in Mail Call by writing FYEO.

517th Annual Florida Mini-Reunion January 17,18,19, 20, 2009

Banquet on the 20th (Tuesday) and Departing on the 21st (Wednesday)

Hosted by: Leila Webb, Location: Ramada Hotel & Inn Gateway

7470 Highway 192 West

Kissimmee, Florida  34747

Tele: 1(800)327-9170          FAX 1(407)396-4320

Contact: Leila Webb, Helen Beddow and Lou Darden

4155 Kissimmee Park Road

St. Cloud, Florida       34772

Tele:(407)892-3595

Room Rate - $65.00            Registration Fee - $40.00

Palm Springs, CA

West Coast Party

April 20-24, 2009

Recent website additions:

596th PCEC Newsletters 1980-1983

Sospel 1944 and 2008

Pvt. Richard Whidden, D Company

Col de Braus battle - 64th anniversary

Sospel 1943 and nows

President Darrell Egner
Gentlemen:

Sorry for the delay in addressing this subject.  I have been having Computer problems (still am) after hiring the Geek Squad to fix this damn thing.  I read the E-mails from Howard in mail call and now I can't retrieve it to get the necessary information on who to send the subject books to.

I have a good supply of these books so no problem.  If you wish I can send the books providing I have Names and Addresses.  As Howard suggested it would be much more meaningful if the books came from the General with a cover letter.  I would be more then happy to ship the books to Dick and he could attach a cover letter and mail them to the name I don't have.  Just let me know and I will do what you fine Gentlemen suggest.

Frankly I think this is a wonderful idea and maybe we should expand and donate the Paratroopers Odyssey to our local library's or schools, etc.  Please give me your thoughts on this.  We have a good supply and my guess is that most everyone in the 517 PRCT have them by now as they have been for sale at the last five reunions.  I plan to bring a box down to the Florida Mini in January and let Leila Webb put them up for sale at a reduced rate.

Again this is a great idea and all I need is your instructions as to how to handle this.

Very Best Regards,

Darrell Egner
                                                  **********
I agree with Darrell and with the General's approval Darrell should send him the books and Dick could take it from there.  Any expense could be paid by the 517.  A mailing address should be obtained from Craig Osborne ,Craig.Osborne@js.pentagon.mil the aid to the Chief of Staff. - Ben

Lory Curtis
Ben,
Please extend my apologies for not offering my veteran's day salute to
all of our 517th troopers.  I was out for the count with knee surgery
and I am just finally getting back up to full speed.  Anyway, 517th
troopers you have my eternal thanks and gratitude for your many
sacrifices to keep American free, and because of what you did I live in
the greatest Nation on the planet.  Thanks so much for keeping me free
and from having German as  my native tongue.

Lory V. Curtis, son of Bud Curtis, HQ 1st Bn.

Gilles Guignard
Dear Ben and Bob,

I hope you are doing fine.

I went thru the 596th Parachute Engr Co's newsletters from the 80's
you added to the 517th website with great interest.

I particularly enjoyed the comics in these newsletters so I allowed myself to extract them.

Here they are in individual format so that everyone can enjoy them without having to
go thru the newsletters.

I have also added these comics on my 517th photo gallery www.dogface45.skyrock.com

With kind regards from Europe,
Your friend in the 517th,
Gilles
Scott Ramsey

       You are honored and remembered this Veteran's Day 2008. We had a local parade here for our veterans and it looked to be a good turnout. I hope there was some sort of ceremony in your hometown to honor you and other veterans. Although some may have served over sixty years ago America will never forget your sacrifice and patriotism.
     I have not contacted many of you in some time, but I wanted to let you know on this day you are still in my thoughts. This morning I was interviewed by our local newspaper for the work I do interviewing WWII veterans. The interview lasted about 40 minutes and I hope the material I gave him was interesting enough for an article. I mentioned I had some things I use during my interviews, such as maps and photos, to help 'jog' memories during an interview, and he said he would send someone out to photograph some of the things I used. My wife was not as excited as I was as she began to worry about the house being cleaned. I told him what an honor it is to be able to sit and spend some time with each of you, if not personally then over the phone or even email. To hear or read some of your history and what you did, I have always held with the highest distinction and privilege. In 2007 I was lucky enough to attend six different WWII reunions. This year I was able to attend at least five. I hope next year the number attended goes back up.

     I hope you are honored in the highest way today among family and friends, and with the very least a handshake and Thank You.

I know this email may not reach some of the emails I have listed, but please contact me, even if it is just to say 'Hello', so I may know you did receive this.

Thank you for everything and God Bless,

Scott Ramsey
(850)276-7324
WWII Interviews and collector

Tom McAvoy
Ben, great news, I found Ed Backus  at 269-781-8111.  He said he never jumped into France. That  surprised me, that he was in A company 1st Btn under B. Boyle.  So maybe we have the wrong guy?  I swear the guy I knew was in Toccoa Ga  and Camp McKall N.C.  And like someone said maybe it is George Backus we are looking for. This guy I just talk to qualified in jump school in Europe and came in to the 517 as a replacement into France, However the V.A. is treating him like they do thousands and thousands of disabled veterans He had shrapnel go clean through his body giving him a lot of problems he don't need, but will not grant him a disability for it. The VFW is handling the case for him Tom McAvoy
                                             **********
Perhaps he trained at the Airborne School in Rome. I was with the cadre at the Rome school where we trained Americans volunteers and the Free French. I believe that Joe Calder knew Moon Mullins, the company commander of the Airborne School. - Ben

Tom Cross

Ben:
    Computer is now workable. Major problem was loose nut at keyboard. Thanks for your concern.
Regards, Tom
Howard Hensleigh,

Dear Darrell et al,

Thanks.  You have solved a big part of the problem.  Instead of shipping books twice, I suggest you as our president be the one that actually ships the books to the Lt. Col.   General Seitz can send can send you a covering letter to go with them addressed to the Admiral.  You can also add a letter as our president and perhaps George Meline and I can get up something about our experiences with Chuck Boyer that can be placed in the Admiral's book.  Ben probably can give us the names and address more easily than anyone.  Since the airborne Lt. Col. raised the question with us, I think it would be best to deliver the package to him so he can present it to the Admiral at a convenient time.  You can make sure one of the two books is for his (the Lt. Col.'s) retention.

The Chairman of the JCS is Admiral Mike Mullen; I got his name from the promotion announcement of Ann Dunwoody, the first lady to receive promotion to 4 stars.  I was interested to read that she was the first female to command a battalion in the 82nd.  I don't think that could be an infantry Bn., perhaps artillery or engineers??  How about it, Dick.

Regarding disposition of the Odyssey books--Tom Cross had some good ideas of where some should be sent for historical archive purposes back when we republished them.  I'm sure he hasn't forgotten.   When we have distributed them for good purposed and sold what we can at the regular price, I suggest we turn them over to the auxiliary for their use, sale and distribution.  They will outlast us and that was the idea in getting them started.

Best airborne regards to all,  HH