From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2008 7:40 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1659- 517TH PRCT- NOVEMBER 16, 2008

Hello
I received a nice letter from Ginny Wells, cousin of Betty Davis, expressing her enjoyment reading Mail Call and she also sent an article from LA Times about the Military cemeteries in Europe.

Please tell me if you mail is not to be included in Mail Call by writing FYEO.

517th Annual Florida Mini-Reunion January 17,18,19, 20, 2009

Banquet on the 20th (Tuesday) and Departing on the 21st (Wednesday)

Hosted by: Leila Webb, Location: Ramada Hotel & Inn Gateway

7470 Highway 192 West

Kissimmee, Florida  34747

Tele: 1(800)327-9170          FAX 1(407)396-4320

Contact: Leila Webb, Helen Beddow and Lou Darden

4155 Kissimmee Park Road

St. Cloud, Florida       34772

Tele:(407)892-3595

Room Rate - $65.00            Registration Fee - $40.00

Palm Springs, CA

West Coast Party

April 20-24, 2009

Recent website additions:

596th PCEC Newsletters 1980-1983

Sospel 1944 and 2008

Pvt. Richard Whidden, D Company

Col de Braus battle - 64th anniversary

Sospel 1943 and nows

 Tom Reber

I am sending this e-mail to the leadership of the 517th organization and auxiliary, to ask for permission to use the 517th logo and also to request a higher quality image of the logo, if one exists.

Let me explain further.  Recently, my mother's health deteriorated and she passed away.  While in my hometown, I visited my father's grave and thought it was too stark (government issue) and it would look nice to have a replica of his jump wings and/or the 517th logo on it.   I mentioned this to my sisters and one of them told me about her boss's hobby of customizing tiles (see atached photo).

Anyway, once her boss heard of this wish, he ran off and got the logo off the website and produced what is pictured.  The sizing may be a bit too large for Dad's marker, but the artist expressed a desire for a higher quality image (Bob Barrett, I think you may know the file type he needs?).  He was not pleased with the quality of the image.  He has coated the tile with a substance he claims will make the tile impervious to frost, which will be necessary in the Michigan climate, where my Dad is.

Possibly Rick Vasquez already has a high quality file, as he produced those great t-shirts for Savannah?  Any assistance you all may be able to lend would certainly be appreciated.

Special note for Howard Hensleigh:  Congratulations to those Hawkeyes for beating Wisconsin.  Both of our teams have been anything but consistent this year.  But it has been interesting!

I hope that everyone is well.

Tom Reber
son of Lt. Bob Reber, HQ 3rd

Bob Barrett

Tom,

Printing companies can accept many formats, but they generally prefer vector formats which can be resized and blown up without loss of quality.  Thats probably what your guy is looking for.

The only vector format logos I have are an .ai Adobe Illustrator format.  These ai logos are available to download from the website:  http://517prct.org/logos.htm  about halfway down the page.  You may or may not be able to view them, depending on what software viewing programs you have on your computer.  I can open them from the web page, using an Adobe Reader plug-in, but not everyone may have that.  You could still just download the files and deliver them to the printer even if you cant see them yourself.  Just ask your tile guy if the ai format is OK for him.

You are correct that Rick Vasquez created these quality logos.  If Rick is still out there, he could probably give more info.

Bob Barrett

Howard Hensleigh

Dear Tom,

All is well.  You have my permission to do what you can to liven up our mortar platoon leader's GI stone.  The purpose of our Association is to perpetuate the memory of the 517th and the men that made it what it was--a band of brothers who never shirked the tough jobs pushed their way in a struggle that had to be won for future generations.  As an expert tile man, you will assist us in achieving our objectives by brightening up that soon to be cold Michigan cemetery with a tribute to your father and the 517th.

Our condolences to you and your family on your mother's passing.  As a nurse, we know what she contributed to your father's recovery from those shattering wounds he endured in the attack south of Stavelot and as well to assisting him in raising a fine bunch of kids.

Both Wisconsin and Iowa are better teams than their statistical records show.  Wisconsin can take solace in the fact that it was beaten by a team that also beat No. three, Penn State.

My best airborne regards to all, Howard Hensleigh

Tom Reber
Thanks, Bob.

I really appreciate all you do.  I met some people from the Bastogne area of Belgium when we were vacationing near Cancun last week, and directed them to the 517th website.  They live in the Ardennes Forest and are very aware (and appreciative) of the history and legacy of both world wars.  Their children get far more instruction on the the two world wars than American children do.

Thanks again!

Steve Markle
have just completed the upload of another issue of Wings (May 1983) to my site. As with the others there is a lot of historical information that needs to be shared. In this issue there are a few stories about George Flannery and his family that really remind us of the sacrifices that some of these men (and families) made and we should never forget.

I won't.

-Steve-
Issue;

Article and index for all issues;

Links to the Past

1936: First Social Security forms are mailed out

"The federal government began today the most gigantic task of its kind ever undertaken – the job of setting up social security accounts for some 26,000,000 workers. From 45,000 post offices throughout the country, postmen set out with forms to be delivered to 5,000,000 business establishments," reported The Portsmouth Times on November 16, 1936. NOTE: When the social security program went into effect on January 1, 1937, 1 cent of each dollar that a worker earned, up to $3,000 a year, was put into the pension.