From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 6:08 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1665- 517TH PRCT-NOVEMBER 25,2008

Members often send me stories from the internet. However, it would be best if they would send me the link as it would save space in Mail Call and also save me from searching for the link.

Web site                                www.517prct.org

517th Annual Florida Mini-Reunion January 17,18,19, 20, 2009

Banquet on the 20th (Tuesday) and Departing on the 21st (Wednesday)

Hosted by: Leila Webb, Location: Ramada Hotel & Inn Gateway

7470 Highway 192 West

Kissimmee, Florida  34747

Tele: 1(800)327-9170          FAX 1(407)396-4320

Contact: Leila Webb, Helen Beddow and Lou Darden

4155 Kissimmee Park Road

St. Cloud, Florida       34772

Tele:(407)892-3595

Room Rate - $65.00            Registration Fee  - $40.00

Palm Springs, CA

West Coast Party

April 20-24, 2009

Recent website additions:

Sospel 1944 and 2008

Pvt. Richard Whidden, D Company

Col de Braus battle - 64th anniversary

Sospel 1943 and now

3rd Annual 517th Commemorative March, August 2008

Visit to Southern France 2008 with Ignatius Bail, 460th PFAB

 Bill Christian

Lory and Tim Curtis
Ben,
Happy Thanksgiving to you and all of the troopers, and our 517th
family.  I hope each of you have a very relaxing, peaceful Thanksgiving
Day with your families.  God Bless America.

Lory and Tim Curtis, sons of Bud Curtis, HQ, 1st BN

Mike Woldenberg
Dear Ben, Thanks for the email.  I did send a contribution to Leo
Saturday.  I would very much like to receive the Mail Call so that
I can monitor any reply to my request for information.

I can provide a picture of 2nd Lt. Charles M. Willis in his airborne
uniform  as an attachment.  I can also provide a summary of where he was
at different times.  To summarize, he entered the Army in November of
1941.   He transferred to the paratroops in March of 1942.  He was
promoted to Lt. and  remained at Fort Benning as a training officer
until March or April of 1944.  He then went to North Africa and Italy,
and saw some combat before about August 1.

He jumped into Southern
France, (St. Tropez, I was told) on August 15. I DO NOT KNOW THE UNIT, BUT
IT MAY HAVE BEEN THE 460TH PAR. FIELD ARTILLERY.  He did send a letter
describing artillery in great detail.  He returned to
Rome in September.  He might have been hurt or wounded. He was reassigned
to the 12th Armored Division, 56th Armored Infantry Battalion at Christmas
time, 1944.  He fought
heroically in Alsace  and eventually was killed in Speyer, Germany.
We think the date was March 23, but the official date is March 24th, and
that is the date of Operation Varsity when so many men he trained with in
the 17th Airborne were lost.

Thanks much for any help you may be able to give.

Mike Woldenberg
100 Lyman Road
Buffalo, NY 14226

(716) 834 2824
geomike@buffalo.edu

Jerry Wolfford

Hi Ben here is a better view of the photos from the album without the revolving cubes. There are several of my uncle PFC George Cavnar both in uniform and out.  Thanks, Jerry              'Nephew Of A Buzzard'                http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid16700695&pathID=2044999
Author Seeking Information on Pvt. George A. Meyer (HQ/1 517th PRCT)
Gentlemen:

Greeting from Glasgow, Scotland!

I wonder if you might be able to help me? My name is Gary Bedingfield and I am a sports historian writing a book on baseball players who lost their lives during World War II. George A. Meyer was an exceptional athlete and embarked on a brief minor league baseball career, playing for Grand Forks of the Northern League in 1942, before entering military service in 1943. He served as a private with HQ/1 of the 517th Parachute Regimental Combat Team and was killed in action on January 15, 1945. I understand it was in the area of Coulee, Belgium.

I appreciate this is somewhat of a long shot, but I was wondering if you might be able to assist with any information relating to George Meyer? I am especially interested in finding out how long he was attached to the 517th and the circumstances surrounding his tragic death. I have searched your excellent website but have been unable to locate anything specific relating to George Meyer.

If you c an help in any way, or perhaps point me in the right direction, I would be extremely pleased to hear from you and I thank you for your time and trouble.

Best Regards
-
Gary Bedingfield
5 Pineview Court
Glasgow
G15 7QT
Scotland
Great Britain

website: www.baseballinwartime.com
email:
garybed@gmail.com

Bob Barrett
FYI.

On the December roster, the name is actually 1st Lt. Howard F. Bacon.  He is mentioned in the Paratrooper's Odyssey. He was in "B" Co.