From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2008 7:41 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1671- 517TH PRCT-DECEMBER 8, 2008

Hello

517th Annual Florida Mini-Reunion January 17,18,19, 20, 2009

Banquet on the 20th (Tuesday) and Departing on the 21st (Wednesday)

Hosted by: Leila Webb, Location: Ramada Hotel & Inn Gateway

7470 Highway 192 West

Kissimmee, Florida  34747

Tele: 1(800)327-9170          FAX 1(407)396-4320

Contact: Leila Webb, Helen Beddow and Lou Darden

4155 Kissimmee Park Road

St. Cloud, Florida       34772

Tele:(407)892-3595

Room Rate - $65.00            Registration Fee - $40.00

Palm Springs, CA

West Coast Party

April 20-24, 2009

Lory Curtis

Ben,
Yesterday was the 67th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor.  On that date, December 7, 1941, you were all kids or young men.  I can think of no greater turmoil that our country faced, and all of you stepped up to volunteer to be Paratroopers.   I remember about 4 or 5 years ago asking on Mailcall if any 517th troopers could tell me about the attack on Pearl Harbor so I could relay the information to my students at our high school.  Right away  Major John Alicki email me and told me he was there on Oahu as a First Sergeant in an Air Defense Artillery outfit.  He gave me some great information for my students.  I believe he put this information on Mailcall.  It would be great if that Mailcall could be reprinted for all of us to see today.  Once again, thanks to all of you for your service to our country.  I have very much enjoyed attending the reunions where I have been able to meet with many of you and to hear your stories.  I hope you can attend the annual reunion this year in Salt Lake City, July 8 thru the 12th.

Lory Curtis, son of Bud Curtis, HQ, 1st BN.

Cotton Nelson

Ben:   my father, Gerald Nelson, who passed away in 1989 also was in this platoon. Bill Lewis, before he passed away, had steered me to Sgt. Marvin Miller in Sandusky, Ohio who gave me some info. about my father and his wartime experience. Sgt. Miller's memory was clear at that time and he was helpful and may recall Muth.  517th roster shows his email at mllir5007@gtcinternet.com but no. ph. no. listed.  I don't have ph. no. here at work ... may be able to find it at my home

Jerry Wolfford

Merry Christmas to all.                                                                           JW

Please click on the link below.

 Christmas invitation!

Scott Ramsey

Mr. Barrett,

     I hope everyone took a moment to remember December 7, 1941. I attended a ceremony in Pensacola where I had the honor of meeting and talking with 10 survivors. As you know I interview and collect written stories from WWII veterans so I was lucky enough to interview several as veterans. Since I have been doing these interviews, the one question I always ask at the beginning of the interview is, 'Do you remember where you were when you heard about the attack at PH?', and 95% can recall where they were that day.

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!!

Scott Ramsey

Frank Ramos
Ben:  You may wish to share this news release I received this information through another network source  from Kevin Secor, VSO Liaison to the Office of the Secretary of Veterans Affairs. I did read about some comments in your newsletter about some insolent remarks made by the VA to some 517th members that sought assistance.  I  forwarded those comments to Kevin Secor in their behalf who apologized for the remarks.

If there is any abusive issues by the VA on claims, I would urge your members or families to contact Kevin Secor directly with their issues to seek some help.

Frank Ramos

November 17, 2008    Ne4s Release

VA Expands Protections for Veterans with Missing Paperwork

Peake: Benefit of Doubt for Vets, Accountability for VA Staff

WASHINGTON – The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) today announced special procedures for processing claims from veterans, family members, and survivors whose applications for financial benefits from VA may have been mishandled by VA personnel.

These special procedures come after an audit by VA’s Inspector General found documents waiting to be shredded at some of VA’s regional offices that, if disposed of, could have affected the financial benefits awarded to veterans and survivors.

“I am deeply concerned that improper actions by a few VA employees could have caused any veterans to receive less than their full entitlement to benefits earned by their service to our nation,” said Secretary of Veterans Affairs Dr. James B. Peake.

“In rectifying this unacceptable lapse, VA will be guided by two principles – full accountability for VA staff and ensuring veterans receive the benefit of the doubt if receipt of a document by VA is in question,” he added.

VA worked with the six largest veterans service organizations in developing these special new procedures.  The procedures will assist veterans and survivors in establishing that an application or another document was previously submitted to VA, but was not properly acted upon by VA and was not retained in the veteran’s records.

The special procedures cover missing documents submitted by a veteran or other applicant for VA benefits during the 18-month period between
April 14, 2007 and October 14, 2008

VA will process any missing applications or evidence resubmitted under these special procedures as if the document had been originally submitted on the date identified by the claimant.

Veterans and other applicants have one year, or until
November 17, 2009, to file previously submitted documents under these special procedures.

Veterans not covered by these special rules who believe relevant material is missing from their files can submit additional documentation at any time.  An award of benefits earlier than
April 14, 2007, may be established if there is credible corroborating evidence supporting an earlier date of document submission.

When this problem of mishandled documents was uncovered on
October 14, 2008, VA immediately ceased all shredding activities while it established tighter controls over all claims documents and conducted special training for all employees who process veterans’ applications.

All regional office shredding equipment and operations are now under the strict control of the facility records management officer.  Every employee has been given a separate receptacle for papers appropriate for shredding.  These receptacles are subject to review by supervisors and other officials.

Before any claims document can be shredded now, it must now be reviewed by two people and the facility records management officer.

VA’s Inspector General is continuing to investigate a small number of cases where inappropriate shredding may be traceable to a specific employee.  Legal and disciplinary action will be initiated to hold accountable any employee who has acted improperly.

Veterans and others who are concerned about missing documents and want more information on the special processing procedures may call
1-800-827-1000 for assistance or go to our website at http://www.vba.va.gov/VBA/specialprocedures_qa.asp <http://www.vba.va.gov/VBA/specialprocedures_qa.asp> .

They may also send an e-mail inquiry through IRIS@va.gov or visit their local VA regional office.

VA representatives will review VA’s record systems to verify receipt of applications and supporting evidence and will assist anyone desiring to file a claim under the special processing procedures for missing documents.

Links To The Past

1903: Langley's airship fails

Professor Samuel P. Langley, secretary of the Smithsonian Institution, tested his flying machine today on the Potomac River near Washington D.C. It was the second test, as the first had failed miserably, and weather conditions were described as "perfect." Unfortunately, the aeroplane broke in two and sent Charles M. Manly, who was operating it, into the icy river without flying any distance. "Professor Langley was present to witness the test and appeared crestfallen when he saw the product of months of study and labor, combined with an enormous expenditure of money, disappear beneath the water," reported the Fitchburg Daily Sentinel on December 9, 1903