From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, December 20, 2008 10:35 PM
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1680-- 517TH PRCT-DECEMBER 20, 2008

Send Mail!

517th Annual Florida Mini-Reunion January 17,18,19, 20, 2009

Banquet on the 20th (Tuesday) and Departing on the 21st (Wednesday)

Hosted by: Leila Webb, Location: Ramada Hotel & Inn Gateway

7470 Highway 192 West

Kissimmee, Florida  34747

Tele: 1(800)327-9170          FAX 1(407)396-4320

Contact: Leila Webb, Helen Beddow and Lou Darden

4155 Kissimmee Park Road

St. Cloud, Florida       34772

Tele:(407)892-3595

Room Rate - $65.00            Registration Fee - $40.00

                                                                  National Reunion

Palm Springs, CA                                                Salt Lake City

West Coast Party                                                July 2009

April 20-24, 2009

Michael Wells

From: Michael S. J. Wells - Stepson of Chester A. Wells
To:    Members of the 517th PRCT

As I write this email the snow is falling very heavily outside my window, and I can almost hear Bing singing, "White Christmas!"  I'm well fed and sitting in a warm room in my shirtsleeves.  Even in these difficult times, my family and friends are enjoying the Christmas season.  There is nothing to make me afraid for my physical safety and I fully expect to enjoy a day filled with family, friends and loved ones.  Certainly quite a contrast of the conditions that the 517th endured while in France so many years ago.

I have heard the chorus of many poems and messages, on Mail Call, thanking members of the 517th for their efforts and sacrifices on behalf of their country, and other nations of the world, during a VERY dangerous time.  I would like to add my voice of THANKS to that chorus!

THANK YOU, AND MAY GOD BLESS YOU AT ALL TIMES, AND IN ALL PLACES!

 Michael Wells

Lt. Walter Irwin, the S-2 of 2nd 517, Huertgen Forest, 1944.

Lettre du Général McAuliffe datée du 24 decembre 1944 :
general Mcauliffe’s letter, dated December 24, 1944
" Merry Christmas "

Headquarters 101st Airborne Division
Office of the Division Commander - 24 December 1944

What's Merry about all this, you ask ? We are fighting - it's cold, we are not home. All true but what has the proud Eagle Division accomplished with its worthy comrades of the 10th Armored Division, the 705th Destroyer Battalion and all the rest ? Just this: We have stopped cold everything that has been thrown at us from the North, East, South and West. We have identifications from four German Panzer Divisions, two German Infantry Divisions and one German Parachute Division. These units spearheading the last desperate German lunge, were headed straight West for key points when
the Eagle Division was hurriedly ordered to stem the advance. How effectively this was done will be written in History; not alone in our Division's glorious History but in World History. The Germans actually did surround us,
their radios blared our doom. Their Commander demanded our surrender in the following impudent arrogance.

December 22nd 1944

To the U.S.A. Commander of the encircled town of Bastogne,

The fortune of war is changing, This time the U.S.A. forces in and near Bastogne have been encircled by strong German armored units. More German armored units have crossed the river Ourthe near Ortheuville, have taken
Marche and reached St. Hubert by passing through Hompré-Sibret-Tillet. Libramont is in German hands.  There is only one possibility to save the encircled U.S.A. Troops from total annihilation: that is honorable surrender of the encircled town. In order to think it over a term of two hours will be granted beginning with the presentation of this note. If this proposal should be rejected, one German Artillery Corps and six heavy A.A. Battalions are ready to annihilate the U.S.A. Troops in and near Bastogne. The order for firing will be given immediately after this two hour's term.
All the serious civilian losses caused by this Artillery fire would not correspond will the well known American humanity.

The German Commander

The German Commander received the following reply:

"To the German Commander:
N U T S !

The American Commander

Allied Troops are counterattacking in Force. We continue to hold Bastogne. By holding Bastogne, we assure the success of the Allied Armies. We know that our Division Commander, General Taylor, will say: " Well done !" We are giving our Country and our loved ones at home a worthy Christmas present and being privileged to take part in this gallant feat of arms are truly making for ourselves a Merry Christmas.

(signed)
McAuliffe,

Commanding
The 517 was not in Bastogne , but Merle McMorrow, our past president and savior of the 517 PRCT was there.- Ben
Teresa- Alaska Airlines      What the heck!-Ben

Be sure and check out the last one . . . . . . . .heheh