From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Monday, December 29, 2008 4:14 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1688- 517TH PRCT- DECEMBER 29,2008

 MAIL CALL
Hello,

I received a phone call from Ed Athey this morning. His wife June has passed away. Ed was a popular Lieutenant in H Co. His address  409  Shasta Ave.Yreka Calif.96097.Phone 1 530 842 4206. He is not on the Internet

This Mail Call may be incomplete.

Please let me know if you want to receive Mail Calls or if you have a problem
receiving them. You can always read back Mail Calls  by clicking on www.517prct.org/archives

517th Annual Florida Mini-Reunion January 17,18,19, 20, 2009

Banquet on the 20th (Tuesday) and Departing on the 21st (Wednesday)

Hosted by: Leila Webb, Location: Ramada Hotel & Inn Gateway

7470 Highway 192 West

Kissimmee, Florida  34747

Tele: 1(800)327-9170          FAX 1(407)396-4320

Contact: Leila Webb, Helen Beddow and Lou Darden

4155 Kissimmee Park Road

St. Cloud, Florida       34772

Tele:(407)892-3595

Room Rate - $65.00            Registration Fee - $40.00

                                                                  National Reunion

Palm Springs, CA                                                Salt Lake City

West Coast Party                                                July 2009

April 20-24, 2009

Rick Sweet

 Thank you,, Pat Sietz and Allan Greer for you prayers and also my friend BJ McCauly ( Spencer).
 It was a sad Christmas for us but on Saturday we ended up with good warm weather for the funeral and so many people from church and friends and family came to support us. It really helps you get through it. We buried my sister in a different section than my dad Odas,because his section is full, but she is as close to him as possible. Thank you to everyone for your prayers and well wishes. It gives my family and I strength.
  I listened with great interest about the soldiers hiking to Manhay that Kent Immerfall sent in,  because my dad was in H co following Fred Harmon.
Then I heard Fred mention a man that shot himself in the foot. I had to laugh because there is a picture of my dad with his foot bandaged in the 13th Airborne book and He told my mom that he was hit in the toe by shrapnel at Manhay and that it cut through his boot! The bandage looks like a twisted ankle... I don't think it was him that shot himself but I wondered and the thought of it made me laugh.I needed a good chuckle so thanks Kent. I hope you all had a great Christmas or whatever Holiday that you celebrate and I certainly hope that we all have the best of new years.  I am proud and blessed to be associated with such a great bunch of people. SOB. Rick Sweet
                                   ***************
Thanks Ben, It has been a tough week and I am glad that it is over. No I don't believe that my dad shot himself in the foot by accident or on purpose. I knew him for a short time and I can't believe that he would do an act of cowardice. I also know how I am personally and the nut doesn't fall far from the tree. Under those circumstances I can imagine that most men would be nervous. I guess that poor man just had his finger on the trigger and should not have. I don't know why, but for some reason Fred Harmons comment made me giggle. I talked to my mom and she told me how the shrapnel had gone through the front of his boot and split his toe.  I knew about it before but I didn't know that it happened at Manhay. My dad was also wounded by shrapnel either on Jan 5th or 6th of 1945. It may have even been the same shrapnel that wounded you. He got hit in the ear and it scared him. He thought he was going to die because he was bleeding so bad. He ran back to the aid station through all kinds of fire and was told there that almost his whole unit was wiped out. I wish that I knew more about his days in the 517th and what he did personally but I keep learning little bits of information from all of you men from time to time. Thank you Ben, for your comments and for removing all doubt about my dad. I am glad that it wasn't him......Rick
                                          ***************
I have informed Rick that  it was the not his father who accidentally shot himself in the foot .I will inform him the date of his father's wound when I am back home with my Morning Reports. It was not the incident when 13 of us in H Co.were wounded and 3 members killed -Ben
Pat Seitz

Dear Ben:
    Please tell  Claire and Helen thank you for the wonderful Christmas present -- The latest Thunderbolt arrived and what a pleasure and treasure it is to read -- the smiles are instantaneous and beaming.  It brings back all the memories of the fabulous reunion Chris and Bev put on as well as the highlights of Mail Call.  Claire and Helen are outstanding editors, writers and creators.  How blessed the 517th is to have the gift of their talents, dedication, leadership and commitment.
PS  Also appreciated Claire's update on the film project on the inside last page.  (Thanks also to the Thunderbolt's sponsor

John Hanni
yes received your email,
thanks
john hanie company d

Darrell Egner

Jim

Your name change has been corrected per your request in the last Mail Call.  MORTENSEN does sound better.

Looking forward to seeing you at the Florida Mini in a few weeks.

Regards,

Darrell Egner