From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 3:24 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1689-517TH PRCT-DECEMBER 31 ,2008

 MAIL CALL
Hello,

Please let me know if you want to receive Mail Calls or if you have a problem
receiving them. You can always read back Mail Calls  by clicking on www.517prct.org/archives

517th Annual Florida Mini-Reunion January 17,18,19, 20, 2009

Banquet on the 20th (Tuesday) and Departing on the 21st (Wednesday)

Hosted by: Leila Webb, Location: Ramada Hotel & Inn Gateway

7470 Highway 192 West

Kissimmee, Florida  34747

Tele: 1(800)327-9170          FAX 1(407)396-4320

Contact: Leila Webb, Helen Beddow and Lou Darden

4155 Kissimmee Park Road

St. Cloud, Florida       34772

Tele:(407)892-3595

Room Rate - $65.00            Registration Fee - $40.00

                                                                  National Reunion

Palm Springs, CA                                                Salt Lake City

West Coast Party                                                July 2009

April 20-24, 2009

Grand daughter of Charles Young
Ben,

It is with regret that I must inform you of the death of my grandfather, Charles William "Bill" Young of Glens Falls, NY.

- Bill Young enlisted in Feb. 1943 and was one of the original members of C Co.
- He went AWOL in April 1944 in order to marry my Grandmother, Doris Bates but made it back in time to take his lumps and ship out for Italy. As you well know, he saw his first action on June 18, 1944 near Grosetto, Italy. I believe he was a Cpl. at the time and serving as a radio operator and runner for the 1st Sgt.
- He made the jump into Southern France on August 15, 1944 and sustained a broken ankle. He continued to fight and was evacuated three days later.
- I am unclear on how long he was hospitalized because records regarding his return to the 517 are conflicting. They show anywhere between Oct. 3 and Nov. 11. I tend to believe it was some time in October because he had spoken of action in the French Alps. What is clear is that his rank upon returning was now Pfc. I understand that this was voluntary, in order to avoid being used as a replacement.
- He entered action in the Battle of the Bulge with C Co. and was with them when they became seperated and and surrounded by the SS.
-He was listed as MIA on December 27, 1944 and did not return to duty until January 11, 1945. During this time I understand that he and several other members of C Co. were linked up with armor and patrolling/providing security for them.
-He apparently remained with what was left of C Co. and participated in the action in central Europe.
-He was hospitalized for jaundice in the spring of 1945.
-He was discharged shortly after VJ Day.

Bill Young returned to Glens Falls and tried to put the war behind him. He and my grandmother raised four children, whom have all raised families of their own. He worked as a union printer until an injury placed him on disability in the late 80s. He was a renowned athlete, and notable welterweight boxer. He was a consummate outdoorsman and spent many, many days trekking across his beloved Adirondack Mountains. He was also a fantastic mentor to young people, teaching them how to hunt, fish, handle a canoe, you name it. He lost his wife to cancer in 1999 and lived alone for the past nine years.

I honestly do not know if he was ever able to truly put the war behind him until today. I do know that the events of the Bulge scarred him deeply and he struggled to speak of them his whole life. There is a story in the family that when he was MIA, alone and scared in the Ardennes, he and my Grandmother shared the same dream (vision?). Apparently my Grandmother could see him there, curled up in the snow. She went to him and held him in her arms. When he returned home he related that he had seen and felt here there with him and could hear her vtelling bhim to come home. I find it fitting that he is reunited with her at this time of year.

Bill Young died at 3:00 am tody of natural causes, with family at his bedside. He is home now.

 Nicolas Arnulf

EN CONGES JUSQU'AU 05 JANVIER.

Je vous prie donc de ne m'envoyer que des messages importants afin de ne pas saturer ma boite mail. merci.

Charle and Bernice Cook

Ben- Just to let you know that we are now back in Texas and would appreciate receiving emails again.  Please let me know how to get the old emails.  I tried 517th web site but didn't find them.
Have a wonderful New Year!!
Charle and Bernice Cook
PO Box 2005
Liberty Hill, Tx 78642
512-515-0055.

 Bruce, Ron, and Eileen Broudy(Shaw).

We were looking through our dad’s papers and thought we would share this letter he wrote presumably just before the “Bulge”.  Bruce, Ron, and Eileen Broudy(Shaw).

Ardennes 1944-5

YouTube - Lili Marlene
Chronical Dec, 44-Jan45