From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2009 7:52 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1701- 517TH PRCT-JANUARY 12, 2009

 Please let me know if you want to receive Mail Calls or if you have a problem
receiving them. You can always read back Mail Calls  by clicking on www.517prct.org/archives

517th Annual Florida Mini-Reunion January 17,18,19, 20, 2009

Banquet on the 20th (Tuesday) and Departing on the 21st (Wednesday)

Hosted by: Leila Webb, Location: Ramada Hotel & Inn Gateway

7470 Highway 192 West

Kissimmee, Florida  34747

Tele: 1(800)327-9170          FAX 1(407)396-4320

Contact: Leila Webb, Helen Beddow and Lou Darden

4155 Kissimmee Park Road

St. Cloud, Florida       34772

Tele:(407)892-3595

Room Rate - $65.00            Registration Fee - $40.00

                                                                  National Reunion

Palm Springs, CA                                                Salt Lake City

West Coast Party                                                July  8-13  2009

April 20-24, 2009

Tom Reber

Dear Ben,

I just received word from Lexington, that JB Walton (F Co) suffered a stroke on Christmas Day.  He has some speech and coordination challenges right now and his condition is still being evaluated.

Unfortunately his wife, Orene, suffered a health challenge of her own in mid November which she is still recovering from.  Both JB and Orene are at home, while they recover, with help from family.

I know that all of us in the 517th family will keep them both in our hearts and prayers while they each face these challenges with grace and courage.

That is all I know at this time, and I will update you all as I learn more.

Best regards,

Tom Reber
son of Lt. Bob Reber, HQ 3rd

Joe Caldor
My memory has faded.  I can not remember  which platoon of "H" Company Jim Bennett and I had, but Beaver was the smallest member of the platoon  and one of the best soldiers.  When on the march he was the last man in line.  The butt of his rifle only cleared the ground by about an inch.  Now for a true story.  The platoon sergeant,  and as they say in the deep south," I won't call his name wasn't worth a damn.  He finally ended up as a driver in the motor pool.  We where, I think, on Tennessee maneuver's. Those of you who can remember, will remember it was hot and the marches sometime were hell.  Anyway the platoon sergeant threw away his hatchet .  Beaver recovered it.  Later in a bivouac area , the platoon sergeant seen Beaver with it.  The story goes that Kane said that's my  hatchet.   Beaver said,  no sergeant  its my hatchet,  Kane said, " Kiss my ass if it's not my hatchet.  Beavers reply.  " I kiss your ass sergeant, but I keep my Hatchet.  He was small in stature, But a big man that you didn't mess with.

Photo From Irma

Mayor GABREL, Victorine(Vice-Mayor) and Maria
Le message est prêt à être envoyé avec le fichier suivant ou les liens joints :

Bob Barrett

FYI:http://www.battlingbuzzards.org/index.html

Karen Reece

 Ben,

From your Mail Call message below it seems that you are looking for someone who could go through morning reports and put the casualty list into spread sheet format and also transcribe reports. I would be willing to work on this project. I do work full-time, so the project would not be completed immediately, but I can work on this in my spare time. This kind of project is right up my alley. I am the "long lost archivist" who met you at the 2005 reunion in Savannah. Please let me know. I look forward to hearing from you and or Bob.

Karen (Henzl) Reece, daughter of Ed Henzl, HQ Co., Ist Bat., 517

khreece@bellsouth.net

Mark Landreth

Ben / Bob; I'd like to volunteer to Michael Wells transcribe the casualty reports.... If I can work on the 2nd Battalion's reports, that might also help me with the chronology I've been putting together. Thanks! mark

Joe Combest

Ben,

I saw the note from BB asking for a volunteer to go through the morning reports to finish the project on the casualty reports.  I would LOVE to help with this job.  I make no representations other than to give it my best shot.  Actually, I offered to get involved in this project a few years ago but nobody took me up on it.

Joe Combest, CFP Financial Advisor, Branch Manager, Combest Financial Services, Inc.