From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:43 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1703 - 517TH PRCT_JANUARY 14,2009

 Please let me know if you want to receive Mail Calls or if you have a problem
receiving them. You can always read back Mail Calls  by clicking on www.517prct.org/archives

 1944 Dec 14 - Hamburg Iowa Reporter - Howard Hensleigh in Les Arc

Electricity for Beginners; Joigny, France, 1945

1944 Christmas V-Cards by Dick Spencer, done for the 3rd Battalion

596th PCEC Newsletters 1980-1983

Sospel 1944 and 2008

Pvt. Richard Whidden, D Company

Col de Braus battle - 64th anniversary

Sospel 1943 and nows

                                                                  National Reunion

Palm Springs, CA                                                Salt Lake City

West Coast Party                                                July  8-13  2009

April 20-24, 2009

Isabel S. Carrillo
Hi Ben,
My brother Michael Carrillo send me the email that you sent him about my dad.  My name is Isabel S. Carrillo, only girl  of Mr. & Mrs. Jesus Y. Carrillo.  Here an update on my folks.  They both are still living.  Dad turned 92 on Christmas Day.  He's getting up there.   He's had 3 small strokes and has short term memory.  His long term memory is gone.  I'm not sure if he remembers any of the past.  He also has Parkinson's.  So he's a little bent over making him a little smaller then he already is.  But his spirits are good and he just keeps walking with his walker everyday. He lives alone and is doing well.  I see him every day.  My mother had a stroke 3 years ago and is paralyzed on the left side.  She lost her short term memory and has keep her long term memory.  So her and dad complement each other.  She reminds him of the past. Her spirits are good also.  She lives in a Nursing home not far from where my dad lives.  He sees her everyday and they spend most of their days reminiscing the past. They are still very much in love with each other.  So, Ben please pass it on to whoever and let them know Mom and Dad are still kicking and doing well.

Sincerely yours,
Isabel S. Carrillo

THE MUSEUM

To celebrate Martin Luther King Day, the Airborne & Special Operations Museum will present “The Integration of the 82d Airborne,” a special presentation by museum curator Dr. John Duvall on Monday, January 19 at 1 p.m. at the museum.

According to Dr. Duvall, years before desegregation the 555th Parachute Infantry Battalion, or "Triple Nickles," [sic] succeeded in becoming the nation's first all-black parachute infantry test platoon, company, and battalion.

Admission is free but will be limited to the first 250.

THE MUSEUM

Located in downtown Fayetteville, the Airborne & Special Operations Museum is part of the U.S. Army Museum System and tells the story of Army airborne and special operations units from 1940 to the present. Museum hours: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, noon – 5 p.m. Sunday. Closed Monday; open Federal holiday Mondays. For more information call 910.643.2774 or visit the website at www.asomf.org

“Within a few years of the formation of the 555th Parachute Infantry Battalion, in 1947, it was absorbed into the 82nd,” said Duvall. “As a result, the “Triple Nickles” were some of the first black soldiers to work and train side by side with white soldiers.”

Dr. Duval will also discuss the life of Fayetteville’s own First Sergeant (Ret) Fred Farmer, who passed away in 2008, and his accomplishments while with the 555th. Farmer remained in active duty for 29 years, completed two tours of duty in Vietnam, and retired as a Senior Army Aviator. He received 34 air medals including the Master Parachutist and Glider Badges, Air Medal with 17 Oak Leaf Cluster, two Army Commendation Medals, and the Vietnamese Cross for Gallantry.

Actions are the seed of fate deeds grow into destiny.
Harry S. Truman

All my life, whenever it comes time to make a decision, I make it and forget about it.
Harry S. Truman

All the president is, is a glorified public relations man who spends his time flattering, kissing, and kicking people to get them to do what they are supposed to do anyway.
Harry S. Truman

Always be sincere, even if you don't mean it.
Harry S. Truman