From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2009 6:51 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL N0. 1707- 517TH PRCT- JANUARY 23, 2009

 Please let me know if you want to receive Mail Calls or if you have a problem
receiving them. You can always read back Mail Calls  by clicking on www.517prct.org/archives

 1944 Dec 14 - Hamburg Iowa Reporter - Howard Hensleigh in Les Arc

Electricity for Beginners; Joigny, France, 1945

1944 Christmas V-Cards by Dick Spencer, done for the 3rd Battalion

596th PCEC Newsletters 1980-1983

Sospel 1944 and 2008

Pvt. Richard Whidden, D Company

Col de Braus battle - 64th anniversary

Sospel 1943 and nows

Palm Springs, CA                  National Reunion

West Coast Party                   Salt Lake City

April 20-24,                     July 2009

Darrell Egner

Ben Barrett recovers faster then I do as he Mail Call #1705 on my computer this morning.  Thanks to Ro y Parker and Ben for publishing that great story of the best General there ever was, our very own General Seitz who was at our Mini Reunion.

First of all I want to thank Leila Webb and all the ladies that helped put on a wonderful Reunion.  We had 43 persons at the Banquet down some what from last year but it was the best ever.  She has already booked the same Hotel for the next Florida Mini in 2010 and will host it once again.  Thank you so much Leila your a Champion.

I called a Board meeting last Monday.  Attending were Seitz, McMorrow, Barrett, Johnson, Dean and myself.  We also had Helen Beddow (Thunderbolt) and Claire Giblin (President of the Aux.) in attendance.  I would like to bring you up to date on some of the issues we discussed.  The Salt Lake City Reunion will probably be the last National Reunion.  The Board decided that three reunions in a 7 month time span is a bit to much.  We will continue to have the California (April) and Florida (January) Reunions and hopefully this will increase attendance at both.

Another issue was the making of a movie to preserve the history of the 517 PRCT.  Claire is the spark plug behind the making of this movie.  The probable cost of this movie is $40,000.  So far we have received donations in the amount of $5,617 and our cost thus far is $10,112.40.  I have asked Rob McDonald to stop production on this movie until we receive donations to complete it.  I am sure you will hear from Claire in the Thunderbolt and Mail Call asking for donations for this project.  Please donate what you can afford, not a penny more.

We also discussed the possibility of merging the Auxiliary treasury with the 517 treasury and how it could effect our Tax Exempt status.  We have contacted our great legal advisor Howard Hensleigh to guide and advise us.  We will work on this some time in the future.

It was a good meeting with every one taking part.  Once again thanks much Leila for all your hard work.

Darrell Egner
President 517 PRCT

Helen Beddow

Another Mini-Reunion in Kissimmee, and I want to tell you that it was fantastic!  The weather was cold, however the hearts and comradery warmed up the Hospitality Room and everywhere else that we were together.  Leila Webb always has wonderful food and drinks each year, and the men's stories just get better and better.  It was delightful to greet Brenda Mortensen at her first 517th Reunion with her husband, Jim.  Because of the weather, we were either in the Hospitality Room, or would you believe........out shopping.  It was great fun hanging out with the ladies that have been attending these mini's for many years.  For those that regularly come to Kissimmee, you were certainly missed, but we hope to see you next year.

It is such a privilege to be with these wonderful men and women of the 517th year after year.   May God bless each and every one of them, and that we will see them again next year.

Plan to attend next year's Florida mini January 16-19 (departing on the 20th) 2010.

Ray Estrella

Hello Ben, what a great picture of the 517 troopers next to the old "Gooney Bird". I never jumped out of one. When I went thru jump school, we jumped out of C-119's, the "Flying Boxcar"--Best Regards--Ray Estrella

Ben,

 I am the daughter of Robert (Bob) West and I live in SLC.  I would love to assist with preparations for the upcoming reunion in July 2009 if there is any help needed.  Could you put me in touch with the person that is doing the organizing and I can contact them.  I am looking forward to seeing everyone again.

 Debi Coates debi@cctile.com

Lila Webb

Dear Ben,

Here is a list of those attending the mini reunion in Kissimmee Florida

Lt. General Seitz, William T. Webb, Leila B. Webb, Ben Barrett, Jim Mortenson,  Brenda Mortenson, Leroy Johnson, Hunter McDonald Jr., Emmie McDonald Jr, Keith Boury, Jack Collins, Jack Collins Jr., Susan Collins Mikitka, Nick Mikitka ,Sam Povich, Iren Povich, Ponnie Davis, Merle McMorrow, Margret McMorrow, Chris Lindner

Sincerely,

Leila B. Webb

Ruth Ann Riek

Please take Bob Riek off the email address. He has Alzheimer's and won't be able to come to any of the reunion meetings.
Thanks so much
Ruth Ann Riek

Andy Hill

Ben,

I was laid off (permanently) after ten years on the job with USIS on
January 9th.  So, please, remove my USIS e-mail address from your list
(andy.hill@usis.com).  Please continue to send Mail Call to my home
address (andyhill72@gmail.com).

Thank you,
Andy Hill