From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2009 7:46 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1708- 517TH PRCT- JANUARY 14, 2009

I have mentioned meeting Jim Mortensen at the reunion and it reminded me of an article that Jim had sent us for the web site. It is a must read especially for those that met Jim and Brenda for the first time at the reunion.  WAR - My Story of the 517th, by Jim Mortensen 460th PFAB

 Please let me know if you want to receive Mail Calls or if you have a problem
receiving them. You can always read back Mail Calls  by clicking on www.517prct.org/archives

 1944 Dec 14 - Hamburg Iowa Reporter - Howard Hensleigh in Les Arc

Electricity for Beginners; Joigny, France, 1945

1944 Christmas V-Cards by Dick Spencer, done for the 3rd Battalion

596th PCEC Newsletters 1980-1983

Sospel 1944 and 2008

Pvt. Richard Whidden, D Company

Col de Braus battle - 64th anniversary

Sospel 1943 and nows

 Click on for details

Palm Springs, CA                  National Reunion

West Coast Party                   Salt Lake City

April 20-24,                     July 2009

Claire Giblin

Hi Ben,

I am just back from the Annual Mini Reunion in Kissimmee.  It was COLD!!!  They said that it was the longest cold snap in 8 years in Florida!  However, it was warm inside, and it was great to see so many old friends, and meet new ones as well!  Leila Webb and Helen Beddow did a fantastic job as our hosts!  Plenty of food and drink in our hospitality suite - which didn't close until the last guest went to bed!  It was fabulous!

Dick Seitz came all the way from Junction City and looks wonderful!  He brought us to our feet when he arrived, greeting all of us "great Americans."

Patty and Dan Smith came, looking incredibly great.  Many of you might remember that they had a terrible car accident on Christmas Eve 2007; Pat is lucky to be alive.  You'd never know it - they looked like they never missed a beat.

Another standout Auxiliary guest was Brenda Mortenson, Jim's new bride, which I think means that they are the most newly married 517 couple.  Brenda is a gem and stepped right into our all-girl shopping expeditions and outings.

Leo Dean and Hal Beddow both jumped on Sunday!  They were chaperoned by Allan Johnson, feet firmly on the ground.

Chris Lindner did not get to make a jump.  Leo had planned to accompany her, and he dragged into breakfast looking like he'd lost his best friend, sadly announcing that it was too windy on Tuesday to jump.  As so many troopers have said to me, they don't really mind, but Leo is our treasurer!  I don't know if they think he might parachute out with the money, or if they're afraid he'll hurt himself.  Better luck next time, Chris!  It was still great to see you!

Joyce and Lou Scaringi have not changed since I met them, and I loved having breakfast with them.  Irene and Sam Povitch were there, looking great as ever.  Ponnie came all the way from the West Coast!  Leroy Johnson and Bill Webb continued to trade stories until the last one went to bed, and the mortar platoon was so well represented that they and their families took an entire table at the banquet.

The Collins family was there in force, with trips to DisneyWorld.  Fantastic - plan on using this weekend as a family trip next year.  I loved it the year I brought my sons (in middle school at the time).  Jim would look around Epcot, stretch, and announce that he needed to get back to the Hospitality Suite for a beer and a few war stories.  Helen and Hal Beddow are a joy, as usual.

Ben Barrett, the one who's in charge of us all through Mail Call, was in great form.  He started the 517 website just over 10 years ago, on Christmas Day 1998.  I have racked my brain to think of how to recognize him and his son Bob Barrett for their incredible contributions to this fine unit.  At a time when the technology became available, Ben and Bob have done more than anyone to secure this history, and we are all indebted to them.  As I said at the banquet, no thanks is great enough.

We still have three reunions ahead of us:  Palm Springs in April, Salt Lake City in July, and next January in Kissimmee!

Hugs to my favorite vets -

Claire Giblin

Chris Lindner
Hi Ben:

Lou and Joyce were also at the mini.  I think Leila might have forgotten.

Thanks,

Chris
                                           **********
Lila had it correct. I lost them in copying -Ben

Harris Johnson
Ben,

As per your email below:

This is to reconfirm that I want to receive mail call routinely.  It means a lot to me.

Thank you,

Harris Johnson

Today is Saturday, January 24, 2009

Today in
World War II History

1943 - U.S. President Roosevelt and British Prime Minister Churchill concluded a wartime conference in Casablanca, Morocco.

1965 - Winston Churchill died at the age of 90.

Random World War II Quote

"Once more a red fire blows steeply upwards...the factory will do no more work for Herr Churchill...tomorrow morning Coventry will lie in smoke and ruins."
Josef Goebbels - Ministry of Propaganda - September 1940
Tom McAvoy

Harry Truman, from Missouri , was a different kind of President.
He probably made as many important decisions regarding our
nation's history as any of the other 42 Presidents.  However, a measure
of his greatness may rest on what he did after he left the White House.

Historians have written the only asset he had when he
died was the house
he lived in, which was in Independence Missouri .
On top of that, his wife inherited the house from her Mother.

When he retired from office in 1952, his income as a U.S. Army pension
reported to have been $13,507.72 a year.  Congress, noting that he was paying
for his stamps and personally licking them, granted him an 'allowance' and,
later, a retroactive pension of $25,000 per year.

After President Eisenhower was inaugurated, Harry and Bess drove home to
Missouri by themselves.      There were no Secret Service following them

When offered corporate positions at large salaries, he
declined, stating,
"You don't want me. You want the office of the President,
and that doesn't belong to me.  It belongs to the American people
and it's not for sale."

Even later, on May 6, 1971, when Congress was preparing
to award him the Medal of Honor on his 87th birthday, he refused to
accept it, writing:
"I don't consider that I have done anything which should be the reason for any
award, Congressional or otherwise."

He never owned his own home and as president he paid for all of his own travel
expenses and food.

Modern politicians have found a new level of success in cashing in on the
Presidency, resulting in untold wealth.  Today, many in Congress also have found
a way to become quite wealthy while enjoying the fruits of
their offices.
Political offices are now for sale.

Good old Harry Truman was correct when he observed,
"My choices early in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house
or a politician.  And to tell the truth, there is hardly any difference."