From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2009 9:35 PM
To: r4b4@comcast.net
Subject: Re: 1719

Please let me know if you want to receive Mail Calls or if you have a problem
receiving them. You can always read back Mail Calls  by clicking on www.517prct.org/archives

  Click on                                                              Salt Lake City Reunion

Palm Springs, CA          Thursday July 9 thru July 13

West Coast Party

April 20-24,2009

 Mary Jane Hanron

Hi Ben,

I wish I had more on a daily basis that I could send to you that would be appropriate for inclusion in Mail Call.

I do want to extend a plea to the many readers of this wonderful communiqué and truly challenge all of the 517th vets, their families and friends to think seriously about how they can contribute. Hope you can include this.

As time passes, WWII becomes more and more a distant memory to the general public. This was a topic of discussion at a recent professional meeting I attended.

(For your readers who do not know, I am a freelance writer, commentator and correspondent. My degree is in Journalism/Communication though I spent much of my career thus far in sales. I am now involved in preparing myself for a second career in education and do spent much of my time in the classroom (mostly middle school and high school.)

It is my belief that much of what is happening in this nation right now is due to the lack of ACCURATE knowledge about history and its ramifications. Even textbooks today do not present facts but rather innuendo, some indicating that the United States has motives that are less than noble. These are books studied and “absorbed” by very young minds that are growing up not understanding the truth of our past and the greatness that is constantly performed by America for the global good.

During a recent meeting with some writer colleagues as we commiserated about the frustration of being unable to make progress informing the public about true American ideals, the conversation swerved to the importance of WWII vets who are still around and with us. We discussed how VITAL it is for these individuals to share stories with youngsters (and this can include people in their 20’s and 30’s) and describe experiences from the war firsthand. I realize this is still painful for many, but I believe that in order for our nation to benefit from this history today, the information must be unfiltered and relayed by someone with whom students can relate as a living and breathing person. Even the very definition of patriotism is under assault. We need to find our footing in order that the majority of Americans, especially youngsters are proud of their country, realize they have power in the voting booth and through civic responsibility and that freedom is the ultimate sacred goal.

As a youngster in the Reagan era, I was raised to believe in the goodness of this country and am personally hurt when I see others who think in negative ways about America. My brother and I were fortunate enough to have parents who remembered WWII (including a Mom who was a Navy Nurse) and a Godfather who fought in the Philippines. Of course our country may not be perfect, but it is tough to find anywhere that has discovered a better way. Young people today deserve at least to receive the FACTS about the past in order to come to informed sensible conclusions.

With this in mind, I would recommend some of the following steps that would be invaluable to young students, teachers, scout leaders, coaches, community groups, etc:

  • Be available to your grandchildren, great grand children and/or their friends to help with historical reports, specific memories and even what may seem to be insignificant thoughts. (When I interviewed Ben a few years ago for the feature on the 517th and the Battle of the Bulge I recall his description of the red night sky from gunfire and explosions. This is an image that can not be imagined without hearing it firsthand. The same can be true of the feeling of intense cold in the Forest Ardennes, the lack of adequate supplies, the smells of combat and the wrenching life/death decisions made at an instance’s notice.
  • If a school or civic organization requests your participation in a program about the American Armed Forces or the history of the war or even to honor past heroes, please participate! PLEASE do not be humble! YOU ARE heroes! If any of these events or opportunities are difficult for you logistically or physically, let the organizer know and they likely will be able to assist you. There are recording, video cam and various other forms of documentation that can be effective, too.
  • Be willing to talk to your local or regional paper about your experiences. Drop an email to your local editor. Papers are always looking for interesting substantive stories to pursue. It is a wonderful way to reach many with your story.
  • Recommend books about WWII that you believe are accurate and respectable accounts of the conflicts. I had the pleasure of receiving such information from Ben and learned such a great deal.
  • Share, share and share with your family. If you have medals, letters, documents or memorabilia, take them out and talk about them. The stories are fascinating. Your involvement gives it human interest!

I am so very passionate about this and do not mean to imply in anyway that you have not all done enough. We owe our lives today to you and we know that. I am simply saying please continue to tell your stories and when possible, share them beyond your own homes.

The future of this nation depends upon learning from history. Sadly, we are reaching a point where that may not be the case. I do hope this plea to all of the great 517th heroes will provide some inspiration for you to share the invaluable knowledge and intense patriotism that you possess.

With Love and Gratitude,

Mary Jane Hanron

Mary Jane

Jerry Wolfford

Ben, this poster was in the "mail call" attachment sent in by Tom Dorman yesterday. It really struck me. I wonder how many troopers died as a result of the enemy having prior knowledge of drop plans. My guess is that the jumpers themselves had no idea where their next drop would be. . . . . NEPHEW OF A BUZZARD

                      http://afsf.lackland.af.mil/Images/WWII/images/WWII%20Careless1_jpg.jpg
Mary Jane Hanron
Hi Ben,

I thought you might enjoy reading a feature I wrote recently that appears in today’s Hingham Journal. I had the incredible honor of interviewing Captain Hayes, a Hingham resident who has recently returned from his assignment in Iraq. He had some amazing and inspirational stories to tell.

Please enjoy and share as you feel appropriate. (Link below)

http://www.wickedlocal.com/hingham/news/lifestyle/x1452245715

Take care,

MJ