From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2009 3:05 PM
To: Ben517@aol.com; Paseitz@aol.com; Tomx517@aol.com
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1725-517TH PRCT- JANUARY 13, 2009

I sent out Mail Calls No. 1723 and 1724 with same address list and had many notices of undeliverable mail,especially with Comcast. net, address for No.1723.No problem with 1724  ???????????.
I may trying making Mail Calls shorter and mail more often. I now try to limit size to four printed pages.

Please let me know if you want to receive Mail Calls or if you have a problem
receiving them. You can always read back Mail Calls  by clicking on www.517prct.org/archives

  Click on                                                              Salt Lake City Reunion

Palm Springs, CA          Thursday July 9 thru July 13

West Coast Party

April 20-24,2009

Patricia and Roland

Hi Ben,
we have seen our email address on this mail call but we receive all your mail call. For us there is no problem.
Thanks and again, BRAVO for your tremendous job.
Through this email we send our best souvenir to everybody.

Patricia and Roland
Sospel, France

                                             **********

Thanks to Patricia and Roland we might assume others on this list are receiving Mail Call. I would like to know if this is so.-Ben

Katherine Wheeler

We received this email with our address listed under "too much traffic"  I don't know what we're supposed to do.  Katherine Wheeler

Chris Lindner

Hi Ben:

What a story about the 12 year old boy asking Merle if he new BEN BARRETT.  Ben you are FAMOUS !!!!!!!!!! All kidding a side you are the glue to the 517th.

It was great to hear that other men of the 517th got to experience some of the same things Darrell did with his Pen Pals from my Daughter's (Jennifer) 5th grade class.

I also wanted to say "HOOK 'EM HORNS" to Jerry Wolfford.  Jerry my Daughter, Heather and her husband Carlos are both graduates of UT at Austin.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Chris Lindner
Chris

Mary Jane Hanron

Dear Ben and 517th Friends,

I have so enjoyed reading the last few mail calls in particular. I am touched and overwhelmed by the kind words from several of you and honored that you remember my work. (Maybe its time that Ben run the article in Mail Call about himself and the 517th website again, don’t you think?? There have been many, many people added to the email list since it was first published who would probably love to read the story of the renowned Mr. Barrett!)

I have also loved reading about the various efforts taking place across the country that are helping younger generations learn about WWII and the 517PRCT.

I am giving more thought to some possible projects to develop with kids and will keep you all posted.

One idea I did have that I thought I should mention was the great resource we have in the many friends of the 517th who live in Europe. I wondered if there might be any modern language teachers who would consider a “pen pal” type project with any of our friends “across the pond” who might be interested.

I know many of these wonderful folks speak French, etc. but it might be a great learning experience both as an exercise in language as well as culture and a first hand account of the general appreciation of the Europeans for Americans. It would also be a chance for people in this country to learn about the great hospitality and fondness our European friends have for our country….right down to the children! It’s certainly not something that will be learned in the mainstream American media these days!

When I wrote my story about Ben, I had the honor of corresponding with Irma T. of Belgium. Her contributions to my project were immense and though she speaks beautiful English, her charm and warmth jumped off the page as though we were enjoying a cup of tea together!

Her perspective as a child in Europe during the War is a fascinating one and I’m sure there are dozens more like her who would love to be part of helping younger American generations learn of that time in history and the tremendous heroism of our soldiers.

Ben and all, thank you for all you do. You are providing a priceless service to so many.

Mary Jane

Mary Jane Hanron

Irma Targnion's Story
Battle of the Bulge

Bob Barrett

It's probably not worth digging through, but I just ran across this info on a Web search.  In the official archives of the State of North Carolina, they include a box of materials relating to the 1964 reunion of the 517th in Raleigh, NC.

http://www.archives.ncdcr.gov/ead/eadxml/sa_gov_sanford_terry_sanford_517th.xml

Biographical and Historical Note

[See collection description for a biographical sketch of Governor Terry Sanford.]

The 517th Parachute Regimental Combat Team was created when the 51th Parachute Infantry Regiment, which had been part of the 17th Airborne Division, was combined with 460th Parachute Field Artillery Battalion and the 596th Parachute Combat Engineer Company. During World War II, the 517th Parachute Regimental Combat Team saw combat in Italy, Southern France, and the Battle of the Bulge. After the war, the unit became part of the 13th Airborne Division before being deactivated in 1946. Governor Terry Sanford was a former member of this unit, and was instrumental in bringing the reunion activities to Raleigh. In addition, members of the Governor's staff assisted in the planning and execution of the reunion in 1964. [For more information about the 517th Parachute Regimental Combat Team, please consult the file "History of the 517th Parachute Combat Team" in this series or the online version of Paratrooper's Odyssey - A History of the 517th Parachute Combat Team on the official 517th Parachute Combat Team website.]

Back to Top
Collection Overview

Records concerning the reunion of the 517th Parachute Combat Team ("Battling Buzzards"), which was held in Raleigh, North Carolina on August 14-16, 1964. Includes correspondence, information on Fort Bragg events, a file on the history of the 517th Parachute Combat Team, itineraries, lodging and transportation information, newsletters and press releases, programs and other materials.