From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2009 8:24 PM
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1732- 517TH PRCT-FEBRUARY 19. 2009

Marie-Louise and Joe Spencer have also sent Birthday greetings to Dick Seitz

  Click on                                                              Salt Lake City Reunion

Palm Springs, CA                                                           Thursday July 9 thru July 13

West Coast Party

April 20-24,2009

Howard Hensleigh

Dear Ben,

There were many HAPPY BIRTHDAYS to our keynote speaker at the Savannah reunion, so I almost let the others say my piece.  Then I saw something in Bud Curtis letter home that struck a note.  Men like Dick Seitz at an early age were thrust into positions of responsibility for the lives of hundreds of young men as well as for achieving the combat objectives necessary for our country's survival.  The fact that he pulled it off with aplomb as an expert beyond his years is evident not only by historical combat reports, but also by Bud's letter.  Bud guessed Dick's age in 1943 at about 30.  That has been 66 years ago which added to the 30 would make Dick's present age 96, when our  Mail Call tells us that it is only 90.  Now Dick has reversed the process.  Instead of our thinking he looks 90 he has us fooled by looking and acting 39.

A birthday Airborne all the way salute to a great commander,  Howard Hensleigh

Kathy McIntosh

Ben,

I would like to wish my dad, Jesse K Davis, B co.  a very happy 92nd birthday!!!!  We are going to try to make it to Salt Lake as we live in Utah now and are only 3 hrs away.  He is looking ward to it.

Kathy McIntosh

Howard Hensleigh

Hi Ben,  I'm not sure  how he got hold of this, but it shows some of the spirit of the 517th before the invasion.  It was taken in the olive grove near Frascati where the 3rd Bn. lieutenants pitched their pup tents.

Best airborne regards,  HH

Dear Mr Hensleigh,

I don't know if you know about me I'm the guy who put up the 517th photo gallery

I have put a photo of you on the first page.
I'm also the liaison officer for the French 517th reenactment group based in Southern France.
I have started to write a book about anecdotes from Operation Dragoon.
I came across a lot of your posts while going thru the 517th Mail Call archive.
I also came across this photo of you in Italy (photo attached to this email).
Do you remember what T-shirt you are wearing ?
I'm curious and would like to find out if its an army T-shirt or a college T-shirt.
Do you remember when this photo was taken ?

I hope you are doing fine, with kind regards from Europe, Gilles

Marie-louise Spencer
It is I again. Maybe I could send that e-mail re: Gen Seitz, if you
think it's OK.
Dearest Ben, you haven't heard from us because we have
problems, many health problems. It's Joe mostly. He has had cancer
since 2002 and as the good trooper, he is keeping up a good fight.
He also has dementia (so far not too bad) and has asthma and
can't hear well. I won't go into my problems.
I'd love to see you in P.S. and we'll do our best.
God Bless You!
Marie-Louise S
                                                             **************
Marie-Louise earlier sent  birthday greetings to Dick Seitz mentioning that it was her grand daughter's birthday also. Latter thought that it might be disrespectful to Dick. I told her that I thought the General would be honored to share birthday with her grandaughter-Ben

Charter. net is having problems

<strothkamp@charter.net>
<millerview4@charter.net>
<logolini@charter.net>
<janiceatp@charter.net>
funnyfarm1@charter.net

June Huffman
Happy Birthday to Tom Cross!   Late I know, but fond memories of he and Bette and would like them to know I remember them with fondness.  Sincerely,   June  Huffman

Pat Seitz and Allan Greer

Dear Ben:  Hats off to Wayne Cross' on his alternative Birthday song -- marvelous, well-done!
    Reading Howard Hensleigh's letter to  Tom Cross so touched me, not just by the thought behind the message but also the way it was expressed -- by a master of crafting the English language. To me Howard is a "lawyer's lawyer" with a gift of expression and wisdom that is the hallmark of the best in my profession. He makes me very proud to be a lawyer.  May I say to Howard, thank you, not only your outstanding service to our country as a member of the 517th, but also for being such a superb role model of the legal profession.  Sincerely, Pat Seitz and Alan Greer