From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Friday, March 06, 2009 2:14 PM
Subject: MAIL CALL NO.1737- 517TH PRCT- MARCH 6, 2009

 Nearly caught up with old mail. Have downloads and Salt Lake Reunion information for next Mail Call

Lt. Milton Kienlen, A Company

Happy Birthday, Col. Cross!

Norman L. Ross, I Company

1st Battalion at Soy, Belgium, 22-24 December 1944

3rd Battalion  at Bergstein, Germany, 4-8 February 1945

1944 Dec 14 - Hamburg Iowa Reporter - Howard Hensleigh in Les Arc

 Click on                                                  Salt Lake City Reunion

Palm Springs, CA                Thursday July 9 thru July 13

West Coast Party

April 20-24,2009

Evan Brizius
Hello,
My name is Evan Brizius and I am a high school student who has become interested on the wartime experience of my great-uncle Raymond William Bosse. He said very little about his wartime experience and died without telling any of my relatives much information. However, I succeeded in finding a newspaper clipping listing his unit and used that to track him to the 517th prct. I then checked him on the christmas roster and he was listed there as technical sergeant in the 460th Artillery Battalion.
There wereonly two war stories he told us. One was that he landed in a peach tree in Operation Dragoon. The otherwas that the only reason he survived the war was because his jeep had a flat tirein France sometime after Operation Dragoonwhich prevented him from being ambushed and killed- as many others were that day. Does anyone from your organization know anything about this second incident?
Thankyou,
Evan Brizius

Phil Mc Spadden
Hi Ben....it's been a long time ago, but Ray Bosse was the Battalion Supply Sergeant, under CWO Harp.  I don't remember any of his wartime scrapes, but do know he ran a good shop and took his job seriously.

I do remember him telling me of landing in the peach tree (or was it something else?) but I don't know of his flat tire that 'saved' his life.  We can all count on little things that could have affected our life one way or the other, and those of us who survived can count at least one incident to that effect.

Sorry I can't tell you much more about Ray, except that he was a real airborne type, and that says it all.

phil mc spadden

Rick Sweet
Hi Ben ,
  I'm glad to see that you are back to work. Did you receive the pictures of the 517th basket ball game ok? I thought they were neat and anything I see about the 157th I'll try to collect it to add to the story. I own the poker set complete with cards and poker chips that belonged to Lt Spencer during the war. How about that? They look like they got allot of play. You have my permission to use the pictures on mail call. I didn't know who they were and thought most of the guys were sent home by then. I am happy that you are feeling better! Airborne

SOB
Rick Sweet

Gilles Guignard
Dear Ben and Bob,

I have just received additional info about the trooper who took the picture of the young French girl in l'Escarčne.
The 517th trooper who took the picture was known as "Charles".

With kind regards,

Gilles
Lory Curtis
What a beautiful commentary on the North Platte Canteen!  It made Goosebumps on me while watching!
The American people are/were generous, loving, and kind.

 Karen Goodlet
Ben, I would like to receive your mail calls at Ben517@aol.com.  Thank you ever so much.  Good health to you and God Bless you.  Karen Goodlet

Mary  Globokar
Thanks Ben
Have read some very interesting things.
Ed and I visited La Rockette, on one of the tours

Teresa Messina (Airflight attendent)