From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 8:09 PM
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1746- 517TH PRCT- MARCH 17, 2009

A Chronology of the 517th PIR

Operation Dragoon Drop Zone Map, by Clark Archer

Marie-Pauline Rostagni 1944

Lt. Milton Kienlen, A Company

Happy Birthday, Col. Cross!

1944 Dec 14 - Hamburg Iowa Reporter - Howard Hensleigh in Les Arc

Reunion info:

Darrell Egner- President

Last week Ben Barrett E-mailed me and said in essence "Lets either get the Movie production going or forget it".  Last Sunday I lay-ed awake most of the night thinking about Ben's comments.
As most of us didn't talk about the War when we got home our children learned about the War in school.  As the 517 was a combat team (one of only two in the Army) attached to seven different divisions and Armies we didn't get much ink in the history books.  Yes, a few books have been written about the 517 such as Paratroopers Odyssey and Battling Buzzards but to the best of my knowledge they were not used in school history classes.

After many phone calls between Ben, McDonald Media (Producer) potential donors and myself we decided to proceed with the Movie depicting the history of the 517 starting in Basic Training all the way to the end of the War.  At the St. Louis Reunion 32 of us were Interviewed and Video Taped.  Some of these stories were never told before.  The stories ranged between what was done in battle and what we did after the War.  We think our Children and Grand Children should have this information long after most of us are gone.  We plan to make this Movie available to all that want it.  I have a promise from Rob McDonald that the Movie will be ready to show it at our Banquet in Salt Lake City in July.  Please mark your calendars for what may be our last National Reunion.  Not to worry, we still plan to have the Minis in Florida and California.

Now the hard part for me.  I hate to ask for donations but I am requesting all of you that can afford it to send in money to Leo Dean, Treasure, marked for the Movie Project.  We are going out on a limb a bit but I am sure we will reach our goal.  We have about $6,000 in the bank today marked for this project and commitments for another $4,000 so we are half way to our goal.  In addition one person has committed to match all donations up to $10,000.  Rob feels the quality of the Movie will be good enough to sell to PBS, or the History Channel, Military Channel, etc.

Well folks I am sure you can see I am very excited about this project.  Excited because all of you will have some in-site into our history and our children will have some thing to pass down for generations to come.  Thanks for your help!

Darrell Egner
President 517 PRCT

The donor wants to remain anonymous and I will restrict  the amount donated. It will match one donation.- Ben

Jansson Family

Thank you Mr. Barrett for the photo.  Dad is, and always will be, the biggest hero in my (and, if I may speak for my siblings) life.  Bertil Jansson continues to fight odds that seemed to have hounded him his entire lifetime.  He is still in Bourne Manor near Cape Cod, MA.  He has always maintained that the 517th were the truest and noblest of men.  He has advanced to a more precarious state of Alzheimer's brought on most notably by the severe pedestrian accident in December of 2006, but more so we believe as his children, by the passing of his wife of almost 58 years in January.  However, since that accident, I truly believe that the one greatest memory he has had was the trip to Washington D.C. in June of 2007.  It is with great thanks that the Jansson family wants to give to Mr. Barrett, Mr. Trooper Walsh, (truly a fine man who gave up so much of his time and energy during that reunion) and the committee of that reunion.  Dad is in very hard times right now.  His family loves him more  than these words can describe.  It was only late in his life that he expressed his experiences of WWII and the 517th, but he sure is proud of the company he kept with.  It was only in 2007, when my brother George and I were lucky enough to go to the reunion with him how we remotely could understand.  With much love to the 517th and their families, Paul, George, Pete, and Cindie Jansson--with daughter in law Cindy  Jansson and son in law Paul Grossi---with grandchildren Eva-Marie Jansson, Natalie Jansson, Michael Grossi and Paula Grossi.  We cherish the families of the 517th. No family could be prouder.