From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 7:37 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1747- 517TH PRCT- MARCH 18, 2009

Send contributions for Film Project to.
                                         Leo Dean

                                        14 Stonehenge Lane

                                        Albany, NY  12203

A Chronology of the 517th PIR

Operation Dragoon Drop Zone Map, by Clark Archer

Marie-Pauline Rostagni 1944

Lt. Milton Kienlen, A Company

Happy Birthday, Col. Cross!

1944 Dec 14 - Hamburg Iowa Reporter - Howard Hensleigh in Les Arc

Reunion info:

Darrell Egner

Ladies and Gentlemen

A number of inquires have been sent to Ben Barrett on where to send donations for the Movie Project.  This is wonderful news.  Thank you.  I will attempt to clear it up.  Please excuse me for not going into detail in my E-mail when I  announced that we let a contract to McDonald Media to produce the film.  Please send your checks made out to the 517 PRCT to Leo Dean our Treasurer.  His address is as follows:

                                        Leo Dean
                                        14 Stonehenge Lane
                                        Albany, NY  12203

As I mentioned in my E-mail a DVD with the finished Movie will be available to all members of the 517 PRCT. I would like to thank all of you for your considerations and donations.  I am looking for another $10,000 in gifts but rest assured the Movie will be produced and will be ready for the first showing at the National Reunion in Salt Lake City.

Airborne,

Darrell Egner
President 517 PRCT

Claire Giblin
Good evening, Ben -

The film project is one of the most important things that we can do to secure the history of the 517.  Encourage children and grandchildren to donate.

Salt Lake City is our last scheduled national reunion.  The coastal mini reunions will continue - so we will still have ample opportunity to gather together.

The 517 Association and Auxiliary are strong because we are continuing to adapt to the needs of its men and their families.

Check out the summer tour option, linked on the 517 website, from EnFrance Tours.  They have worked hard to provide some wonderful options for us this summer.

Make your travel plans now:
April in Palm Springs
July in Utah
August in Europe

I actually just made my own reservations for France just yesterday.

Regards to all my favorite vets -

Claire    EN FRANCE TOURS - A US based Tour Operator - Escorted & Guid...

Howard Hensleigh

Note to Ben and Lyn Burton-Vickers (widow of David Vickers, G Co.

Although your notes almost say it all, I should add a little about California in contrast to Iowa, Massachusetts and even Florida weather.  In Iowa Massachusetts and Florida, when they announce there is to be a storm, it is best to dig a fox hole or go to the storm cellar.  Here in California the announced storms I have endured in the past two years would be called a gentle rain in the other three states.  We even had an earthquake announced in the headlines that I didn't even feel.  Just when I am feeling so secure, there must be an earthquake in the offing for Menlo Park that will make the great San Francisco quake seem like a baby rattling his/her crib.

Lyn, this is from the kid that milked a cow night and morning in the winter of '36 when the thermometer got down below zero for more than thirty days in a row.  Howard Hensleigh

Gene Frice

Melanie,

  What they did not say is that Washington is previous Special Forces. My regards Melanie I will be going to Palm Springs for 517, Long Beach for TREXPO (the cops), SLC for the 517, and then to Berlin for the VALKYRE ceremony and Robin and Karen are joining me in Berlin on the 1Aug. Then to visit Berlin with them and to the military hotel in Garmish, Germany for about a week-then to Nice for the 517th on 15 Aug. Then to WA DC for TREXPO again-then home. Other than that I have no plans to go anywhere.    Col Gene

Howard Hensleigh

Dear Gilles,

On D plus one the part of les Arcs that lay south of the rail lines was occupied by the Germans.  The 3rd Battalion completed its forced march that afternoon from the areas far to the east where we had been scattered in the drop.  Although we were not too well organized and were short the officers and men who didn't get connected to those of us who did make the march, we went into the attack on orders from regiment as soon as we arrived in the drop zone area.  Our objective was to take all of the ground south of the tracks.  We attacked from the east through a vinyard north of the tracks which was infested with German machine gun nests and well covered by enemy defenses set up behind the rail road embankments.  After we cleaned up the vinyard, Lt. Col. Melvin Zais ordered the battalion to go over the top of the tracks and a very few of us made it.  All of the others but me who got over were killed (including the first sergeant of H Company) either going over or after we made it to the other side of the tracks.  Finding myself alone and that my machine gun section had been stopped by the withering fire, I came back across the tracks while my men covered me with machine gun and bazooka fire.  They found some of the enemy fire coming from a house and silenced it.

Shortly after I got back over the tracks Lt. Gibbons announced that they had found an underpass to the right of our position which we passed through and deployed on the other side.  We flushed out, killed or captured the rest of the enemy from the immediate vicinity and the command announced to regiment that we had taken our objective.  The next morning I convinced Mel Zais that we were about seven hundred yards short of taking the entire objective and led an H Company squad on a patrol that captured an enemy platoon and freed fourteen 45th Division men who had been captured by the Germans.  (The details of this patrol were written up by Dick Spencer and recently indexed in Mail Call as being reported in the Hamburg Reporter newspaper)  In any event that patrol completed our mission and cleared all the enemy from the south part of les Arcs.  The rest of the town had already been liberated by the other battalions of the 517th in some very tough fighting.

When I started I just intended to refer you to the things already on our website, so you may find elsewhere things said in different words about the 3rd Bn.'s part in the battle of les Arcs.

Highest regards,  Howard E. Hensleigh