From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, March 21, 2009 8:19 PM
To: Ben517@aol.com
Subject: MAIL CALL NO.1750- 517TH PRCT-MARCH 21, 2009

I replayed today "Wings, Boots, Guns & Camaraderie" DVD produced by a friend of Gene Frice. It is a DVD about the 517th PRCT and should be viewed by all and those interested in new Film Project. It will be hard to beat. Gene will tell all how to get the DVD.

Reunion info:

Update on the

517th Film Project

517th Film Project

Make a Donation

Please send your checks made out to the 517 PRCT to Leo Dean, our Treasurer.  His address is:

517th Film Project

c/o Leo Dean

14 Stonehenge Lane

Albany, NY  12203

Update on the St. Louis Filming Project

As many of you know, the 517 Association and the Auxiliary invested in a filming project conducted at the St. Louis reunion. Filming was done by Rob McDonald (Hunter's nephew) and his assistant Mary Lloyd McDonald; interviews were conducted by Pat O'Donnell (historian, keynote speaker at DC's reunion, and longtime friend to the 517th). We felt fortunate to get the services of three such accomplished people, giving this project the professionalism it deserved. Securing the history of the unit is part of the Auxiliary's mission statement; I think it's the most important part.

Because the 517 and the Auxiliary are currently enjoying financial good health, we were able to underwrite the approximately $9000 cost to film interviews with 31 vets, stretching over 3 days at the St. Louis reunion. Givers all, the McDonald-O'Donnell crew went above and beyond, giving the association far more time than we'd paid them for. The McDonalds have already far exceeded their contracted editing time.

Filming was done in High Definition using some of the best available technology.

Now we'd like to take this raw footage and turn it into a "broadcast hour," suitable for PBS or the History Channel. At the very least, we would like to make it into an hour-long documentary, suitable for your grandchildren's history classes.

Finished film is expensive. Everyone needs to take a deep breath and prepare: finished film costs more than $1000 per minute! It can cost twice or three times that!

When I first learned that, I wondered how anything gets on TV at all!

Because Rob and Mary Lloyd are friends to the unit, we will enjoy special pricing, but it is still expensive. At least $20,000 more to finish it into the type of hour that PBS or the History Channel would require.

As we announce this fundraising campaign, I am pleased to announce that we already have two charter donations totaling $4000. Gina Votti, daughter of a buzzard, is our latest corporate sponsor. Her company is Clinbio, and she has directed that her donation go toward the film project. Pat Seitz and Alan Greer have committed $3000 to the film project as well. I cannot thank these donors enough for their commitment to my favorite vets, the men of the 517th.

As I ask for donations to the film project, I must state that no one - NO ONE - should donate if it is a financial hardship at all. This project will probably be financed largely by the children of Buzzards. Veterans should not donate if it means that they cannot, for example, attend a reunion. Attendance at reunions is far more important than donating to this project. We have the raw interviews (and they should be available within a matter of months); that is the important part.

We can do this! Help secure the history!

Thank you all!

Claire Giblin
President, 517 Auxiliary
daughter, Allan Johnson, 596

March 20, 2009 update:  We hear that Rob McDonald has visited the National Archives in Washington, D.C., and managed to find some historical video of the 517th, which he hopes to include in the project.  Also, as of early March 2009, we have close to $10,000 collected.  And Rob McDonald is trying his best to have the film ready for screening at the 517th Annual Reunion this July!

Kathy Mcintosh and Jessie Davis

hi ben,

i have been gone for a couple weeks and missed all the info on the movie.  is there a site I can go to to see what it involves?  my dad is loaded with stories about the events of the 517th.

Kathy Mcintosh and Jesse K Davis.

Bob Barrett

Here is some YouTube video of the Oneida Victory ship returning from Europe and arriving in New York.  If so, some of the 517th were on this ship.  I do see some paratrooper boots on a few men.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH70EUeM8Jk

Arnold and Irma TARGNION

Dear friends of America,
We are so proud and very happy for our dear Président of the US Airborne Reception Committee (CADUSA) Maria GASPAR; She received a Certificate of Appreciation from the U.S. ARMY - Freedom Team - signed by George W. CASEY, General US Army and Pete GEREN, Secretary of the Army. It is a real honor for Maria and we thank the person or the association who help for this distinction. For a so long time she is devoted to honor and welcome the US veterans and their families. She is our memory and we all have a deep respect for Maria. We shall continue as long as we can to keep the souvenir of those great men who fought and died for our freedom. With Love and warm regards from Trois-Ponts. Arnold and Irma TARGNION

Ken Meise
Please post also....Thanks for posting. Feel free to make any spelling corrections. I will look for some letters and scan them too you when I get a chance. I did see sergeant Rock name on the xmas list and wonder what happened to him and if he remembers my dad if he is still around. My dads name was on the xmas list Co C second page on the last column.  My father is mentioned in one of the books written also. He mentioned Boyle and the other officers once in awhile as we chatted. Dad was wounded in the arm and was in Walter Reed Hospital for 2 years I think he said. He also has a bullet crease on his head and side of his stomach too. He never mentioned the war unless asked directly and then loosened up and told us about it. He never complained of his wounds or bad arm.  He is sorely missed by all of us.