From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, March 22, 2009 4:55 PM
To: Ben517@aol.com
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1751- 517TH PRCT-MARCH 22, 2009

Reunion info:

Veta and Jack Cason

Faye Frycznski wife of Gerald  Frycznski passed away march 20th.  She was a wonderful and fun person to know and will be sadly missed by all who knew her especially Veta and Jack Cason

Claire Giblin

Hello, gentlemen -

Food for thought:

I've already made my reservation to go to France this year, and am shopping for Dad and Leo and maybe Ben.  In addition, I am hoping that the EnFrance tour will run, if they can get 10-12 people.

When we go to the many observances in southern France, our vets are treated like visiting royalty.  They place wreaths, are acknowledged at all public events, ride in parades and lauded for the service of the 517.

For the 65th, I think it would be nice if we arrived with token gifts honoring the continuing relationship between the 517 and the people of southern France.  We've never done anything formal, and I think we should.

A proclamation from the unit, honoring the work of the Musee de la Liberation?  Perhaps one from the unit to the people of Draguinan and Le Muy?  What about Les Arcs and La Motte?

Any ideas?

In addition, I've brought, previously,  a very few 517 pins to give out.  Left over from the DC reunion, they are coveted and well-received.  It would be really nice, I think, to bring a few hundred to give as good will tokens to re-enactors (there's a hundred right there, at least), to local officials who work so hard, to children and to anyone else.

Having been to these observances, I am sure that even 700 or a thousand would go like proverbial hotcakes.  Lory Curtis has secured a price of about $1.30 per pin.  How many would the 517 Association be willing to purchase for us all (including anyone on the EnFrance tour, which would also go to see friends in Belgium).  However, the association does have some money, and it does go to education by putting a lovely souvenir in the hands of still-grateful citizens.  It could even be accompanied by a slip of paper with the website on it.

What do you think, gentlemen?

Lory will be placing his order soon -

Thanks -

Claire Giblin
President, 517 Auxiliary

Pat Seitz and Allan Greer

Dear Ben:  please tell Bob how much we admire the feature of the changing photos on this Mail Call.  While you already know this, your son is a talented individual and we feel very blessed that he shares his talents with the 517th and its decedents.  Sincerely, Pat Seitz and Alan Greer

Howard Hensleigh

We voted some time ago to do something special in Sospel and at the museum, like a bronze plaque to be placed at a prominent spot in Sospel and something similarly durable for the museum.  The presentations could be to the mayors.  If we haven't done it yet, this would be a good time to do it and if given a shot, Claire will see that it is done well.  This is meant to supplement, not replace the idea of individual gifts to our S. France enthusiasts.

Howard Hensleigh

Harris Johnson

Ben, glad you are back on the job and doing well.  How does one acquire the DVD Wings, Boots Guns and Camaraderie?  Thanks, Harris Johnson  harrisjohnson@triad.rr.com

Bob Barrett

I see that on the official web site for the town of Manhay, they include an “Events” section mentioning the 2004 Commemoration of the Ardennes battles.  It has a couple more of Eddy Monfort’s photos of Lud Gibbons and Gene Frice.

http://www.manhay.org/WEBSITE/BEFR/04/Evenement01.php

                            This Day in History

Links to the Past icon Great Britain Declares War

Bob Barrett

Here is some YouTube video of the Oneida Victory ship returning from Europe and arriving in New York.  If so, some of the 517th were on this ship.  I do see some paratrooper boots on a few men.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH70EUeM8Jk

WALTER W SMITH

Dear Ben;  I was read Edith's letter by Peanie, who informs me of the high spots in your very newsy email.  (Due to my poor eyesight, wife will edit this for me.)  I also received the same thanks from the officers mentioned in the letter below.  It is a nice thing and hopefully to every veteran who served during a war.  God's Blessing to you, Ben and all other 517 troopers.  Yes, any and all soldiers  and sailors who served.
WALTER W SMITH hq1st

Gene Frice

Greeting to All,

Information concerning copies of "Wings, Boots and Comaraderie"

Ben recently commented on the above, Frice tribe's, production of the "Wings..." It is a DVD, serving at this time, as a humble "coming attraction" for the coming major film epic. Please recognize our DVD, was intended as a light presentation, as an addition to your 517 library. The DVD, was developed by Karen and I, with the able assistance in unsuccessful proof reading (spelling) by our hard working crew, including Gary Davis, and others. Professor, Don Adamski, served as our production manager. Don, and the crew, worked over one year on the production of the DVD.

The DVD was ultimately printed at no cost to the 517th. The printing (if that is the word) was by Wade Gilbert, Ernie Gilbert's son. Good man that Wade

The DVD may be obtained by writing Karen Wallace, 66295 Highway 20, Bend OR  97701,   Tel: 541 388 5919.
Please identify how many copies you desire.  Cost is $ 6.00  including postage.

Gene Frice, F Company

God Bless All

PS 1  "Camaraderie"  An accepted spelling of a group of Comrade's-as in the Communist Party-ha

PS 2 I have available a number of copies of Gary Davis's excellent painting of the "forward scouts" in the snows of the Bulge. Copies of the painting will be available at Palms Springs and Salt Lake City-see you there.