From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2009 7:01 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL N0. 1757-517TH PRCT-MARCH 28,2009

Last Mail Call was No.1756, March 27, 2009

Send contributions for Film Project to.
                                         Leo Dean

Update on the                  14 Stonehenge Lane

517th Film Project            Albany, NY  12203

Reunion info:

Howard Hensleigh

Note regarding the VA:  Things have changed a lot since we returned to the States in 1945.  Although I lost hearing from a mine explosion in S. France and got a purple heart for the wounds sustained, the VA at that time would not recognize the disability.  Now as Ben says it is fairly routine to get hearing loss recognized as a disability and digital hearing aids for both ears to boot.  Howard Hensleigh

Pat Seitz

Ben:  incredible, the 2001 exchange between Mike Spano and Fred Beyer and the addition by Bill Gearon.  How do you retrieve these jewels?  Hope Rob and Mary Lloyd have access to such things.
Tom McAvoy
I was point man in Italy, H company, and the Sgt. Goldberg just before I went out came to me and said, Tom.  He had it on pretty good authority that if I as first scout would hold my rifle by the barrel with the stock up over my shoulder that the enemy would let me and the second scout go by just to get to  the rest of the squad (where the fire power was).  We had not gone not  50 yards until this German steps out from behind a bunch of tall bushes and opens up on the squad with a machine pistol and got near everyone, I dropped down out of sight as soon as I heard the enemy fire, and rolled away from where the enemy saw me drop down and it was a good thing as another German with a machine pistol open up on where I drop down from before I rolled away, The second scout was not injured either.  Tom McAvoy
 Grace Spano

BEN, THIS IS MIKE'S WIFE GRACE ANSWERING  YOUR MAIL.  MY HUSBAND MIKE HAS PASSED AWAY ON 9/4/2008. HE WENT IN FOR A RE-DO ON HIS HEART AND NEVER SURVIVED THE SURGERY.
I AM TRYING TO NOTIFY HIS E-MAIL FRIENDS AS THE MAIL COMES  IN.

THANK YOU FOR ASKING FOR HIM.
 HE CERTAINLY ENJOYED HEARING FROM ALL  OF YOU AND I THANK YOU FOR THAT.

MIKE517TH'S WIFE GRACE

GRACE
Kenton Floyd Immerfall

Dear Ben,

I wish to thank you for the "Worth another look" piece you put in Mail Call of 27Mar2009.  I know I've seen, read, and copied this information before but I never tire of reading about those Brave Young Soldiers who stood and fought beside my uncle.  Thank you for those memories from Mike Spano, Fred Beyer and the nephew (Bill) of Lt. Ray Gearon in October of 2001.  Yes, I made a hard copy, once more, of what these men remembered.

Question:  Did Mike Spano and Fred Beyer ever physically see each other again?

Kenton Floyd Immerfall
Nephew of "Stozie"

Bob Barrett

Did you ever mention this?  It’s from a film about WWII, with this short segment on Operation Dragoon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBrvOHjoa4c

Here are more videos of Operation Dragoon.  These are in color.

Important

Part 1:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6CYoWABPa8

Part 2:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZBumvhqC8s  Paratroopers mentioned at 2:35

Part 3:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPKCihzh_Pg

Important

Also found this.  Isn’t this Howard Hensleigh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQly9jpsK14

Gene Snyder

Ben

Some of our 517th friends might enjoy seeing this loading
document.  Major Don Fraser sent me a copy several years ago.
The second name is Wilhoit.  Hard to read because of the fold.

Will see you in Palm Springs, Have a good flight.,   ZOOT SNYDER