From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 8:22 PM
To: Ben517@aol.com; makwaperry@yahoo.com; rogermarquet@skynet.be
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1760- 517TH PRCT- MARCH 31, 2009

The computer and I are fighting over font size.

Send contributions for Film Project to.
                                         Leo Dean

Update on the                  14 Stonehenge Lane

517th Film Project            Albany, NY  12203

Photo from St. Cezaire

Photos from Operation Dragoon

A Chronology of the 517th PIR

Operation Dragoon Drop Zone Map, by Clark Archer

1944 Dec 14 - Hamburg Iowa Reporter - Howard Hensleigh in Les Arc

Reunion info:

Claire Giblin

Hi there -

I know that people planning to visit France and Belgium this summer would like to bring pins as a token of the unit's esteem and appreciation.

If you are planning to go on the En France tour, or to go on your own, please let us know how many pins you'd like to take personally, and I'll approach the Board for money to put toward the project, along with donations previously committed for this project.

Thank you !

Claire Giblin

Wesley Richard Perry

Mr. Barrett

My name is Wesley Perry, I m researching my grandfather. I have pictures and some documents that point to the 13th and the 517th. Is anyone willing to help?

His pictures show his 13th patch early in 43'. A 82nd patch late in 44'. His pictures and his discharge papers show his EAME Theater Ribbon w/5 bronze stars. Rome-Arno, Southern France, Ardennes, Rhineland and Central Europe.

With my research he seems to be 517th. I don't know any other units in the 13th other than the 17th that have the same campaigns.

I also have the original papers from the 1st Allied Division giving him a promotion and orders to transport prisoners.

If you could be of any help I would be grateful.

Thank you

Wesley Richard Perry

Grandson of James Richard Perry

John Krumm

That is a powerful story from Roger Marquet.
Bob Dalrymple

What a grand story and action from Roger Marquet and his wife in honor and eternal memory of Bob Fordyce . He will never be forgotten . Bob Dalrymple

Mary Jane Hanron

Hi Ben,
How are you?

I have some exciting news….remember I told you a while ago I had a new project in mind? Well I have discussed it with my editor and wanted to ask if you would be willing to help me.

I am interested in writing another feature about the 517th, the involvement of youth and younger generations in learning about its history and the role the website has played in this growing phenomenon. I am also interested in incorporating information about the film project, what it is hoped it will accomplish, and how important the stories from all you veterans are for younger people who would otherwise be unaware of this incredible time in history.

It is clear that the website is an enormous tool in facilitating these associations and encouraging members to participate in this video history.

My editor is interested in having this feature to publish in the time approaching Memorial Day. Would you be interested in working with me on this?

I would need to set up a time to come and visit you to chat about details and hear your thoughts about the project and who else with whom I should speak.

There is no rush for this but I would like to start on it in the next week or two giving me plenty of time to speak with others as necessary and do the research and writing.

I am very excited about this…I hope you will be too!

Take care,

Mary Jane

Darrell Egner

Ben by all means please make the time to sit with Mary Jane. I read her first interview with you so many times in the past year I can almost quote it by heart. OK that's a stretch! Your demeanor says give all the credit to others as you did in your first interview. Mary Jane is a great writer and a classy lady. Perhaps you could hook her up with Rob and Mary Lloyd to share information about the Movie. I would also suggest that she share her WW II articles with FSU. Have her contact me for information on how to contact them. It would also be nice if she could attend our Salt Lake City reunion and interview some of the other troopers. I'm sure we could come up with some funds to pay part of her expenses.

Your a good man, Ben,

Darrell Egner

Pat Seitz

Ben: I agree wholeheartedly with Darrell's suggestions.  I would like to know more about  Army nurse Mary Frances Lawlor and her connection with the 517th. What a beautiful woman, looks like she is smart, gutsy/spunky too.
She is the wife of Ben Barrett
Ben Barrett
-Ben