From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 8:04 PM
To: makwaperry@yahoo.com
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1761- 517TH PRCT -APRIUL 1, 2009

Send contributions for Film Project to.
                                         Leo Dean

Update on the                  14 Stonehenge Lane

517th Film Project            Albany, NY  12203

Reunion info:

Mike Kane

Hello Ben

Regarding the film project, I am with a state agency that provides grants for criminal justice programs, so the thought occurred to me that there may be federal government grant program that might provide all or part of the funding for the project if you're interested.  I took the liberty of contacting the National National Endowment for the Humanities just to explore that possibility and spoke to a woman there who was very helpful.

 After I explained a bit about the project and the Combat Team's role in those historical events, she steered me to two funding opportunities called "Grants for America's Media Makers" as a possibility.  These grants are open to 501(c)(3) organizations (which of course the 517th PRCT Association is),  and can be used to fund the cost of development (including scholarly research, distribution plans etc.) and production of media projects. The categories include history documentary projects and must be suitable for national distribution. The woman at NEH said they often fund projects that are done in partnership with a PBS affiliate that has experience in documentaries appealing to a national audience.

 They are highly competitive grants, (she said they funded Ken Burn's "The War", in part) and applications are judged on many factors besides historical significance, so its hard to say what the chances are to snare one, but successful applicants receive between $40,000-$75,000 for development costs and $100,000-$800,000 toward the cost of production.   The best news is that there is no match requirement.  (Many grant programs require the grantee to put up 25-75% of the cost themselves)

 Anyway,  if you want to read more about the grant opportunities, an overview of the development and production grant programs can be accessed at these websites.  Ignore the expiration dates at the top. They offer these twice a year and haven't changed the date on the last announcement.

 http://www.neh.gov/grants/guidelines/AmMediaMakers_development.html

 http://www.neh.gov/grants/guidelines/AmMediaMakers_production.html

If there is an interest or the possibility of one, I would be happy to talk to you or anyone else about what other things I've learned about this.

All the best,

Mike Kane, Jr.

Wesley Richard Perry

Mr. Barrett

My name is Wesley Perry, I m researching my grandfather.  I have pictures and some documents that point to the 13th and the 517th. Is anyone willing to help?

His pictures show his 13th patch early in 43'. A 82nd patch late in 44'.  His pictures and his discharge papers show his EAME Theater Ribbon w/5 bronze stars.  Rome-Arno, Southern France, Ardennes, Rhineland and Central Europe.

With my research he seems to be 517th.  I dont know any other units in the 13th other than the 17th that have the same campaigns.

I also have the original papers from the 1st Allied Division giving him a promotion and orders to transport prisoners.

If you could be of any help I would be grateful.

Thank you

Wesley Richard Perry
Grandson of James Richard Perry

 Howard Hensleigh
Note to Wesley Richard Perry:  I cannot be helpful in the details of your grandfather's assignment to parachute units, but will do what I can.  First, you have it right that the major battles listed for your grandfather fit the 517th, and I know of no other parachute outfit they do fit.  The 517th was the parachute regiment of the 17th Division in 1943, but we were not part of the 13th Division until our combat was over in the spring of 1945.  We were scheduled to jump across the Rhine with the 13th in the spring of 1945, but Patton drove 50 miles in two days and crossed the river at Worms, right where we were to land and the jump was cancelled at the last moment.  The rest of the 13th never saw a day of actual combat.  The 17th came over from England well after the bulge hit, were hauled in by truck, although some will tell you they jumped in, and did see combat through the rest of the European campaign.  There is a slight possibility that your grandfather was transferred into the 82nd late in 1944, but if he was with us, many of our high point men went into the 82nd after VE Day.  Others with some search engines may be able to give you more details.  Best regards, Howard Hensleigh

Andy Hill

Hi Ben,

 My Grandfather was Harry A. Hill, B Company.  He passed away March 8, 1989.  I’ve been digging through some of his old things, making copies of photographs, etc.   I’d like to document as many items as possible and make copies to give to family members and friends who would like them.  I’ve been having trouble with a lot of the photos and other things I’ve run across from his days with the 517th.  Talking with my grandmother about them, she has only been able to help with a few things.  I was wondering if it would be possible to send you some high quality scans of these for you to post on the site in hopes that someone out there could help me with some of the identification.  There are lots and lots of photos (apparently he had a camera with him everywhere he went), publications, receipts, memos, etc.  I can’t e-mail them, though, as there are over 35 MB worth of documents.  I’d be happy to burn them to a disc, though, and mail them to you if you can send me your address.  Also, if anyone out there remembers my grandpa, I’d love to hear from you and send copies of the photos if you’d like them.

 Thank you,

Andy Hill  401 Bentley Park Loop Missoula, MT 59801 (406) 544-2913

andyhill72@gmail.com

Bob Barrett

Andy,

If you like, I can take a disc and reformat things as necessary.  We would love to have any photos for the web site, and we can circulate them for possible identification.

Send them to:

Bob Barrett  27 Fuller Meadow Road North Andover, MA  01845

Thanks,

Bob B.

webmaster@517prct.org

Claire Giblin

Hello, all -

I have been alerted to a couple of grant opportunities to help finance the 517 film project.  While donations are coming in, and I'm greatly appreciative, I don't want to shrug off the opportunity for funding.

The question to the readership is this:

Who among us has experience in grant writing and funding/development for non-profits?

Grant writing is very specific.  I know just enough about it to know that I don't know enough.

If you have this skill, please reply to me at and I will forward you the email.

Thank you!

Claire Giblin

Helen Beddow

Ben,
This lady sounds great!  I think she is someone that can help the 517th in such a positive way.  So.......don't let her get out of our sight.

Hello to all of the rest of you in this email.  Easter is getting closer, and I am still sane!.  God is good.

Hugs to all,  Helen
  ( Helen is referring to Mary Jane's project)