From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2009 7:16 PM
To: Ben517@aol.com; ROB@mcdonaldmedia.tv
Subject: MAIL CALL NO.1762- 517TH PRCT- APRIL 2, 2009

Hello,Static Line reported the death of Chester E. Steward E Co.

Send contributions for Film Project to.
                                         Leo Dean

Update on the                  14 Stonehenge Lane

517th Film Project            Albany, NY  12203

Reunion info:

The 517th Parachute Regimental Combat Team  accumulated over 150 combat days during five campaigns on battle  fields in Italy, France, Belgium and Germany.

The battalion casualty rate was 81.9 percent. The team suffered 1,576 casualties and had 247 men killed in action

Mary Jane Hanron

Hi Ben

,I just read Claire’s request for people who have grant writing experience. Although my experience is not excessive, I have worked in the past on Grants in various non-profit organizations. (It is also something I studies in college many moons ago!) I would be happy to do what I can to help out, especially with narrative portions of the document. I looked over the info via the links provided in Mail Call and though I wouldn’t be able to do the entire thing without help, I would be interesting in looking over the information in more depth.

If Claire would like to forward me the info she has, I will look it over and let you know how much if anything I feel I can do.

Please feel free to give her my email. While I am not promising anything, I may be able to contribute and organize some material or even an overall format for presentation.

MJ

Paul Abbene

Greetings Ben,

  Thanks for taking the time. I know you are busy. I will contact the project manager.
If you wish you can post the DC photos on the photo disc on the website.
I hope to attend Salt Lake and deliver the DVD personally. However, if cannot attend I  there is no one I trust more than you deliver the goods.
Thanks again.
cheers, Paul
PS - I wish to contact the 517th's friends in Belgium. Can you provide their names and Email address ?

Kathy Perkowski

I recently retired from the Army Air Force Exchange Service (PX/BX folks) with a background in contracting and business analysis; I have the experience and time to struggle with this administrative task.  I looked at the requirements and if the decision is made to submit for additional film funding, I volunteer to assist with the voluminous paperwork.  Don't let the wall of bureaucracy be a hindrance, I have scaled it many times before.  I would need the cooperation and input of the people that are on the project; if they can feed me the info, I can build the package.  Please pass this on to the appropriate person(s).

Thanks as always,

Kathy Perkowski

Rob McDonald
I know a little about what is involved in a grant for NEH and I will be happy to work on it with you. I know one of the grant overseers who has helped me in the past. Let me know if you want to proceed I will do whatever I can to assist. By the way, you are volunteering for a huge but important task.

rob mcdonald
Gilles Guignard
Dear Claire and Friends of the 517th,

Im terribly sorry for getting back to you late Claire, been away for work lately with a limited access to my private email.

Thank you for your last email and the GREAT NEWS of your plans and possibility to visit St Cezaire on August 22nd!

I am copying on this email Mrs Florence Playoust, who is in charge of the Office du Tourisme in St Cezaire so that you can communicate privately, if needed. Should you need my help for any English-French translations, I will help with pleasure.

I am also copying on this email Ben Barrett and Mr Renoux so that all the "key" persons are informed.
If I am not mistaken, Ben joined the 517th in Sospel during fall 1944 and did not participate in that battle. I know that Mr Lud Gibbons was there.

I saw on the mailcall that Mr Egner and the board of Directors of the 517th Assn had mentioned Memorial Plaques for a few villages in Southern France. Claire, I suggest you to discuss this possibility with Mrs Playoust as soon as possible since it is something "official" which will most certainly will have to discussed and decided within the village authorities and might take time.

I was on the phone with Mrs Playoust yesterday evening and it looks like everybody in St Cezaire is really excited about your visit, especially the local people who were there in August 1944.
I will be visiting Mrs Playoust in St Cezaire at Easter and we will be able to discuss more about organizing something real special for you and the 517th group in August. I will get back to you with more accurate info after Easter.

If anyone in the mailcall wishes to express a message to the people in St Cezaire, I will forward the info with pleasure during my visit at Easter.
My email is

With kind regards,
Your friend in the 517th,
Gilles