From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2009 8:21 PM
To: e.monfort@belgacom.net
Subject: MAIL CAIL N0. 1770- 517TH PRCT- APRIL 13, 2009

Send contributions for Film Project to.
                                         Leo Dean

Update on the                  14 Stonehenge Lane

517th Film Project            Albany, NY  12203

Photo from St. Cezaire

Photos from Operation Dragoon

A Chronology of the 517th PIR

Operation Dragoon Drop Zone Map, by Clark Archer

1944 Dec 14 - Hamburg Iowa Reporter - Howard Hensleigh in Les Arc

Reunion info:

I don't know why I am getting involve in this venture.
However, I have had a few inquires about a trip to Europe for the 65th anniversary of our time over there .
Claire Giblin has planned all along to go over to France with her father and Leo Dean. Some how my interest was directed to this adventure by others. The result has been that I am planning on taking a trip to Belgium and France along with six and possibly nine family members. They may coordinate their summer vacation for this trip. All plans are tentative at this time.

Instead of hiring a Tour Group. Our plans at present time is to inquire about renting vans and if possible a bus with driver. We know what we want see and do and along with our French and Belgium friends we can make plans. If you are interested , let me know.  All plans are tentative. I have too much on my plate to take responsibility.

This has all come about because of Claire. Claire is an adventurer  but I have to caution you that Claire just returned from Mexico even after the President of the United States cautioned people about travels in Mexico. Also our treasurer,  who is still jumping from perfectly  good airplanes will accompany her  and her father.
Claire's present plans are to go to France only, but we will join up with her in France

If  interested and have any ideas, let me know.

All plans are tentative.

The trip will be in August
Ben

Eddy Monfort (excerpt from his mail )

In answer at your request, I profite of this email to send to our
> friend Ben Barrett my Best Wishes from Belgium.  Unfortunately, I
> will can not participate at the reunion at Salt Lake City...  It's
> not possible for me... I'm sorry.  But, my thought will be with you
> and if I can help you in Belgium, it's always a pleasure to give
> help at a 517th family member !

Don Gentry,

Ben and Bob, Greetings on Good Friday.

I found an interesting document while searching for APO 758 to assist Wesley Perry's quest regarding his father's unit.

Mail Handling Procedure During the Invasion of Southern France

This account covers the period 15-30 Aug 44. This document gives a blow by blow description of the care and handling of the mail pouches coming and going into the war theater. Nothing is more important for soldiers than mail from home and these pages tell the story well.

In your own way, you and Bob are continuing the moral boosting "Mail" service to this day. God Bless you both and of course the 517th PRCT.
Don Gentry

Wesley Perry

Mr. Hensleigh

I found a letter that my grandfather wrote to his mom from Camp Mackall on Feb. 6, 1944. On the top right hand corner he wrote Co. H 515th Para Inf.  I did some reading on the 515th. I'm glad I found his Unit within the 13th, but I still dont know if he fell in with you guys.  I was just wondering if you knew of any guys from the 515th falling in with you?

Thanks again

Wesley Perry

Mr. Cross

Where can I access the PDF file of the 517th daily reports?

Wesley Perry
                                          ********
I entered the service in 1940 and served with several army units  including the 515th PIR. I was with the 515th in Feb. 1944. Many of us from the 515th ended up with the 517th. A long story - Ben