From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, April 18, 2009 9:55 PM
To: Ben517@aol.com
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1773 -517TH PRCT-APRIL ?, 2009

This Mail Call may be incomplete. I am with Allan Johnson and we will fly to Palm Springs Monday.

Send contributions for Film Project to.

                                         Leo Dean

Update on the                  14 Stonehenge Lane

517th Film Project            Albany, NY  12203

Reunion info:

Palm Springs, CA

West Coast Party

April 20-24,2009

Come on down!

National Reunion

Salt Lake City

July 2009

Irma Targnion

Dear Ben,
We are very excited about your visit. We are ready to help. you may rent a van in France or you may come by train. From liège or from Luxembourg, all the trains have a stop in Trois-Ponts. Our friends and members could transport you all with their own car and visit all the places you wishes in this area. We could also organise some ceremonies at the US monuments and meeting with the Mayor and people. It would be nice if we could know the dates in august. We wish to have you as guest at home. Warm regards. Irma and Co

Claire Giblin
Hi, Kathy -

Wow.  Thank you so much for your review and evaluation of the grant issues for that particular funding mechanism.

I concur with your opinion that the timely completion of the film is a higher priority than the possibility of some funding (and the decent likelihood that despite its merits and an experienced grant writer, the project might not receive funding).

Thank you so much for reviewing that opportunity.  Your expertise and knowledge are clearly evident.  May we continue to call on you for advice and input on matters such as these?

Thank you so much for your service to the 517.  We greatly appreciate this quick and cogent appraisal of this particular grant offering.

Warm regards,

Claire Giblin

Dan Robins

Ben, this is an article that you could post on the website about Dick Lynam, my cousin, who was KIA in Belgium. He was awarded the Silver Star.  He is listed on the Jan 4, 1945 morning report as KIA on the website. Thanks
Now on web site-Ben
Irma and Arnold
We can help everyone as he come in Belgium. I am afraid nobody find a memorial in the area of Brussels. In Ardenne, the 517th monuments are situated in Soy/Hotton - Manhay - Trois-Ponts : St Jacques, Bergeval, Wanne, Logbiermé and Stavelot. We could be a guide for anyone. Be careful, as you leave Brussels, you must follow the LUIK for the city of Liège (it is in Dutch) from Liège, on the motor way, the sign "Ardennes" or Stavelot. Happy to help all of you and family and to welcome with love. Irma and Arnold

Claire Giblin

Hi, Ben -

I just got an email from En France Tours, and am surprised to hear that despite some interest in the southern France and Belgium tour this summer, there have been no deposits yet.  I also know that commitments for Salt Lake City are just starting to trickle in.  planning has gone into both of these events.

Start looking at airfares and join the fun.  Treat yourself to trip insurance for your peace of mind - it's worth it.

The En France tour could still run if they start getting interest - please make the call today.  Check out their website.  A lot of planning went into their itinerary, and there's a lot to be said for traveling with a very small (10-12) tour group.

Many of you are now headed to the Palm Springs party.  Have a great time!

Claire Giblin

Patricia and Roland Orengo

Dear Ben and Dear all 517th' guys

I received an Official US Army commendation par mail !! It is a Army label pin which symbolize the partnership between your Army, its Soldiers, their families and Veterans.
I am so pride to wear this pin and be sure I will wear it with love too.

I share this pin with Roland of course because He does a tremendous job to keep the memory alive in our part of country.
It is a great honor offered by George W. Casey, Jr, General, US Army Chief of Staff and Pete Geren, Secretary of the Army. But I know that YOU are behind this gift, so thanks you.

Do I write to the Army to thanks ?

We hope to attend to SLC reunion. We will give you an answer during May.
could you tell us which day (s) you'll like to come to Sospel in August. You know that we can, with our friends, to receive you and to visit our area with jeeps. We would like to offer you a BIG day in Sospel, a friendship day with our thanks to be what you are : AWESOME GUYS !

I use this word because Nolan Powell learned me it. And I think it is the right word to explain your bravery, your self-sacrifice during this horrible period.

Take care.
We love you all.

Patricia and Roland Orengo
Sospel, France

Jess Rossi

Greetings Ben,

I am George L. Ross's son Jesse.  Dad was an active member of the 517th until his death in Feb of 2007.  I would like to be placed on the 517th's mail call, if you would please.  I would like to keep track of the 517th happenings and the dialogue between its members.

Thank You

    - Jess Rossi

Jay Sutcliff

Hello Ben,

I work for Lockheed Martin and I’m in the process of pursuing a corporate donation to assist with the Filming Project.  One of the items I need to complete the grant assistance form is a US Tax ID 501(3).  Does this exist?  If a tax ID does not exist is there something else that could be used?? I know Mr. Hensleigh worked for a competitor J but maybe he could answer that question?

Not sure if anything will become of this, but it never hurts to ask.

Thanks for everything

Kathy McIntosh  and Jessie Davis

Ben,
Please pass on our condolences to the Jannson family.  We are very sorry for their loss.

Kathy McIntosh and Jesse K Davis, B Co.

Peter Jansson

Mr. Barrett, Kathy McIntosh, and Jesse Davis, and the entire 517th.  Thank you for your kind condolences.  One of the charities we are asking people to donate to in our dear Dad's name will be to the film project.  Hopefully, some revenue can be raised for the 517th's cause.  Dad was extremely proud, and rightfully so, to have been part of such an elite unit of fine Americans.  Pete Jansson and family.  As the great Mr. Sietz says so eloquently, "Airborne all the way."

Howard Hensleigh

We have a tax ID that I got from the IRS.  My file is in Petaluma at my daughter's.  I will see what I can do by phone, but that my take a while.    I sent copies of the IRS ruling to several people when we got it, including Ben.  We filed tax returns for all the years I know of.  My guess is that Leo Dean has the number which like our social security numbers go on our tax returns.  We had a trooper in Florida who used to file our corporate returns and I am not sure who is doing it now.  When we get it, I suggest we put it on Ben's website so it may be easily found.  For these big donations, we should send out thank you letters specifying the amount of the donation, like the churches and others send out.  We may have to hire a secretary for Leo.

Keep me posted.

Note to Dennis Sura:  I will give you a more complete answer later but suggest you be in touch with Ed Athey who is going to the Palm Springs reunion.  If both of you are there, Ed is an H Co. trooper who was there with your father and is a man you should talk to.  Howard Hensleigh

Don Saunders

 Hi Ben,

I'm Back on my two feet again after the hip replacement. I guess I am just about finished since I've already had both knees replaced over the past 23 years and I don't think I will ever do the other hip.
Would you please hook me up to Mail Call again. I sure have missed it the last 3 weeks. I'm still walking with a walker, but hope to be with a cane by Monday. If everything goes well , Jan and I hope to be at Salt Lake this summer. I have attended all of the Int. Reunions since 1979 except the 06 and 08 reunions.
Airborne all the way,   Don Saunders, 596th PEC