From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2009 7:12 PM
To: Ben517@aol.com; tsea333@q.com
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1777- 517TH PRCT- APRIL 30, 2009

Final effort to collect  past mail for Mail Calls.Some have been lost. Now starting from scratch.
Please send reviews about Palm Springs reunion.
Ben

Send contributions for Film Project to.
                                         Leo Dean

Update on the                  14 Stonehenge Lane

517th Film Project            Albany, NY  12203

A Company in Life Magazine 1944

Pvt. Harry A. Hill, B Company - 200 photos and clippings

Pvt. Richard L. Lynam, H Company, KIA

Operation Dragoon After Action Reports

Mail Handling Procedure During the Invasion of Southern France

Photo from St. Cezaire

Click on                               National Reunion

                                             Salt Lake City

                                             July 9-13, 2009

Claire Giblin

Hi, Ben - My dad just got back from Palm Springs and told me - yes, really - that it was the best ever reunion. Every reunion has its character and unique atmosphere, and every single one is best ever! I was sorry not to be able to make Palm Springs (I started a new job this year), but we now need to look forward to Salt Lake City, and beyond. Pull out the Thunderbolt, download the registration from Armed Forces, and register today.  Salt Lake City promises to be best ever. I just talked to Lory Curtis, and he and the reunion committee have been hard at work. Come see old friends, make new ones and share the stories of the 517th. It's the 65th anniversary year - come share it with your fellow vets.

Hugs to my favorite vets - Claire

Wesley Perry

Andy and Bob

My grandfather was also with the 82nd during occupation.  He was part of the 1st AATF in Southern France and then went on with the 82nd after they disbanded the division. I was wondering if you would like to swap stories, photos, documents or what ever.  If so email me at makwaperry@yahoo.com when ever you get time.

Thanks

Wesley Perry

Bob Dalrymple
Very informative and a good history lesson!
Animated Map of Middle East - 3000 years in 90 seconds

Bob Dalrymple
For Lory Curtis : I will be at SLC . Will sign up later . I want one of the Para Wings . Bob Dalrymple, 596th .
FYI . Yes, The Engr colors were Red background with a white border . These ovals were usually not worn on the duty uniform . For officers, the cap patch was worn on the right side and the insignia of rank on the left . Wearing the cap patch on the right side was not authorized for EMs .  Dalrymple, 596th.

Wesley Perry
Hello Everyone

I found this hotel key chain in my grandfather stuff.  Does anyone remember this hotel in Nice?

Thanks

Wesley Perry

Eileen Shaw
I would like to get two paratrooper wings at the Salt Lake City reunion.  Tell me how to get the $20.00 to you.
It is for Eileen Broudy Shaw and Bruce Broudy.

Thank you,

Eileen Broudy

Bruce Broudy

Lory Curtis,

I would like 3 sets of jump wings with the star. Bruce Broudy

[May be a conflict in interest here.  Ben]

Mark Marshall

Dear Ben,

My name and address are NOT on the list.

I enjoy receiving Mail Call.

My father served with these fine Americans.

As a member of the 517th, my father spoke highly of the men with whom he served.

As others have mentioned, my father rarely spoke of the war, and then only the funny things that happened.

Mark A. Marshall
the proud son of George E. Marshall (deceased - 1. FEB 1996)
Tim Curtis

Hi Ben,

OK, I’m finally going to make the request. My brother Lory Curtis is tired of forwarding  Mail Call to me, so I am officially putting in a request to add me to the list. My e-mail address is tsea333@q.com. Hope you are very well and look forward to seeing you, troopers, and family at the SLC reunion.

Tim Curtis

Mike Woldenberg

Dear Ben, I signed on maybe last fall.

I was hoping to find someone
who knew my Uncle, Lt. Charles M. Willis,  who transferred from the 513th
PIR co. E, in the April?  of 1944 and went to Italy.  He jumped into
France (St. Tropez)  on August 15 with the 1st Airborne Task Force.
He may have been hurt or wounded..

  Later, he was assigned to
the 12th Armored in December.  He fought with them until
March 23, 1945 when he was killed in action.  He won the Silver
Star and Bronze Star.  He is still remembered by his friends in the
56th Armored Infantry Battalion, 12th Armored Division.

I may not be in your address book, but I have received many, many
Mail Calls from you. Thank you very much.

Mike

1945: Hitler commits suicide

[Unable to display image]

Adolf Hitler and his wife for one day, Eva Braun, committed suicide today. . Early newspaper reports stated Hitler was thought to have been slain by the Russians or to have died of a stroke, but no mention was made of suicide. It was not until almost two months later that newspapers revealed the couple had made a suicide pact.

"Hitler shot himself through the temple, the chauffer said, while Eva Braun sent a bullet through her heart. Both died almost instantly. The source of this information apparently clarifying the mystery of Hitler's end as overlord of Europe was Erich Kempke, his driver since 1936," reported The Port Arthur News on June 21, 1945. "The bodies of Hitler and his bride were taken out into the chancellery garden, Kempke said, soaked with gasoline and burned."

NOTE: Reports revealed that Hitler and his wife shot themselves while simultaneously biting into a cyanide capsule. Though some remains were discovered, many still believe that Hitler may have faked his death and gone into hiding, and that the remains are inauthentic.